Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Is that quicker?

Haha, absolutely not, metalman. I took it because I wanted to see the urban peninsula. Boy! It took forever. Newport News has got to be the state's longest city. And US 60 is very poorly signed through the city, or at least til you get to the shipyard area. Off of I-64, the route takes you right thru downtown Hampton which I found clean and attractive. One of the taller buildings is exceptionally well designed. Then it was from street to street keeping an eye out for US60 designators until finally I was in the center of old Newport News. I didn't linger, but noticed that there are a few mid and high rises between US 60 and the James River. Westbound, I passed Northrop Grumman cranes on the waterfront and finally I entered Warwick Village. Traffic was horrendous and top speed limit was 45 (often as low as 25). Major roads such as US 17 crossed at busy intersections and there is lots of commercial activity. Soon I saw the new Ferguson Center for the Arts on Christopher Newport University campus. The urban feel was beginning to lighten, and at last there was a short stretch of country side before coming upon Anhauser Busch brewery and the famous amusement park. Soon, after some turns, I was in Williamsburg heading toward State route 5, the scenic connector between the Colonial and current state capitals. It was too dark to enjoy the plantations and beauty of Rt. 5, but traffic was light, and I sailed along at resonable speed into probably the worst downtown traffic jam Richmond has experienced in years. A semi tractor had overturned on I-95 during rush hour and the resulting rerouting clogged every east/west thoroughfare for hours.

But, I was home after a very illuminating and satisfying exploration of Virginia's Tidewater.

• 2 weeks later...

Hampton Roads - First Region?

I checked to see if this had been posted. I didn't see it so here it is!

Hampton Roads refers to the port.

I don't think that it refered to the region originally.

Anyways, Its a good time to promote the region.

Especially with the Queen of England and most likely the President coming to the 400 anniversary celebration of Historic Jamestowne.

Hampton Roads - First Region?

I checked to see if this had been posted. I didn't see it so here it is!

Hampton Roads refers to the port.

I don't think that it refered to the region originally.

Anyways, Its a good time to promote the region.

Especially with the Queen of England and most likely the President coming to the 400 anniversary celebration of Historic Jamestowne.

Haha... Couldn't they think of something shorter than,

• 2 weeks later...

Norfolk sends us the Virginia Opera; now Richmond has returned the favor by sending its vibrant professional ballet company to the Ferguson Theatre at CNU.

Were any of you among the 5000 who attended one of the performances of THE NUTCRACKER? This was the first time the Richmond Ballet had taken the huge production on tour. It is now playing an extended run in the 3600-seat Landmark Theatre in Richmond.

Edited by burt

Norfolk sends us the Virginia Opera; now Richmond has returned the favor by sending its vibrant professional ballet company to the Ferguson Theatre at CNU.

Were any of you among the 5000 who attended one of the performances of THE NUTCRACKER? This was the first time the Richmond Ballet had taken the huge production on tour. It is now playing an extended run in the 3600-seat Landmark Theatre in Richmond.

The Nutcracker is not quite my cup of tea, although I usually like Tchaikovsky a lot. I have nothing but praise for the Richmond Ballet though - in my opinion, they are Richmond's highest-rate performing arts company. I'm really glad to see they are able to start touring.

• 2 weeks later...