Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Cool! I'll set up a computer to capture the HDTV feed weekly.

"What Matter's", WHRO's new weekly public affairs program covering important issues to the people of Hampton Roads can be seen Friday's at 8:30pm with a repeat at 10:30pm and numerous repeats over the weekend. It airs both on analog channel 15 and WHRO-HD (Channel 715 on Cox).

We also offer "What Matter's" as a video or audio podcast at www.whro.org and iTunes.

"What Matter's", WHRO's new weekly public affairs program covering important issues to the people of Hampton Roads can be seen Friday's at 8:30pm with a repeat at 10:30pm and numerous repeats over the weekend. It airs both on analog channel 15 and WHRO-HD (Channel 715 on Cox).

We also offer "What Matter's" as a video or audio podcast at www.whro.org and iTunes.

Great! I've got a network attached high definition television tuner (for over the air), and I've been looking for a reason to use it! I'll definitely check out the show.

• 1 month later...

Clancy & Theys is building the mammouth West Broad Village project near Short Pump in Richmond. Sad to report, one of their workers fell to his death about a week ago. The project is looking great and will be finished in '09. Among its features will be a Dave & Busters; McCormick & Schmicks; an a-loft hotel; Whole Foods; lots of commercial and retail space and hundreds of condos.

It's reported that demolition and preliminary work is underway on the Hilton Hotel & Convention Center in downtown Norfolk. At a cost of $160 million, it should be a classy addition to the HR hotel scene. Will Clancy & Theys use their fast-track method in its construction?

Edited by burt

Is the Urban Possie ready to grab a meal again? If I remember like 3 people actually showed. Maybe in 2 weeks?

So what qualifies one as part of the "Urban Possie"? I'm working on a civic engagement proposal and would love to meet fellow HR-UPers! :yahoo:

If I "qualify", count me in for a meal or just an adult beverage!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was watching "The Wire" season 2 and several times the port workers are shown complaining that they are loosing business to Hampton Roads, because Norfolk is (x number) of miles shorter distance.

I think it was mostly in season 2 episode 2 and episode 3.

I started watching The Wire when it first came on, but I lost interest until the final season when I got back into it, thus I missed the HR references.

I was watching "The Wire" season 2 and several times the port workers are shown complaining that they are loosing business to Hampton Roads, because Norfolk is (x number) of miles shorter distance.

Man I love that show! I remember when the cop took the bum down to Richmond and left him at a shelter

any way you could find those clips and email them to us? they'd be great to use as part of our "We Are Hampton Roads" campaign...

Thanks!

any way you could find those clips and email them to us? they'd be great to use as part of our "We Are Hampton Roads" campaign...

Thanks!

I can extract them from the show, remember it's a copyright infringement or something, but no one will notice.

After seeing it, I wonder how many of the containers coming into Hampton Roads contain illegal goods (drugs, stolen merchandise) and how many of them going out contain the same.

Interesting article on public Wi-Fi. Does any of our cities offer this?

To my knowledge no city officially does. There is a project in Hampton that is private, I believe.

The issue is Wifi isn't a great technology for large scale deployments. You can crank up the transmit power on the base stations / access points, but the clients (people's laptops) aren't going to have the power to talk back to the base station.

That being said, many businesses have wifi in them for the customers to use.

• 3 weeks later...