Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Anyone see this on Pilotonline today?

South Hampton Roads Housing Census Numbers

Something is odd about that. The median values are way off from what the MLS data shows as median homes for sale. Perhaps because builders only go for expensive places.

Also, the rents are suspect. Those look really low, and disagree with stats posted not so long ago in the Pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has the time, patience, and skill... Google has a new program where you can create 3-D images (i.e. buildings) and upload them onto Google Earth. You could literally put HR on the map!

Sketch-Up

It's pretty simple to use, but will take a little time. Any budding architects out there might find it useful as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanna say that it's about f'n time that Cox gets NBC, ABC and FOX in HD!!!! WHOO!!!! :thumbsup::yahoo::yahoo:

They had to. Verizon has more HD channels on their lineups. They are very threatened by Verizons cable tv lineup and service through fios or fiber to the premise. Verizons TV service kicks butt. They have it now in Vabeach.

hahaha I think Russ has at least some bias :) They are just starting to offer service in the 804 as well.

They have been there for a while now. They started in Nova and hit Norfolk in OV over a year ago and then did Vabeach and Richmond around the same time. I actually here that its better from customers. I haven't actually seen it myself. I also have a buddy that works maintance for Cox.

They have been there for a while now. They started in Nova and hit Norfolk in OV over a year ago and then did Vabeach and Richmond around the same time. I actually here that its better from customers. I haven't actually seen it myself. I also have a buddy that works maintance for Cox.

If and when and it comes to Ghent i'm planning on signing up, their HD package is much more substantial, in addition to all the local channels. Either way, it's about time Cox :tough:

Here are just a few teaser pics of my recent trip to Miami Beach. The weather was fantastic with highs about 80 degrees.

Our room had a partial view.

IMG_0072.jpg

Loews is quite the hotel.

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Nearby Miami, I am pretty sure. I was in a bus passing by. Lots of cranes up!

[IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

And the trip back home - you can make out Town Center on the left.

IMG_0212.jpg

Edited by urbanvb

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone remember the Fossil Pit in Hampton? When I was at Western Branch Elementary our class took a field trip there and it was one of those things you remember for the rest of your life. I always wondered what happen to it, unfortunately its been closed for years an has been filled with water. Here is an article about it.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...5&ran=42902

• 2 months later...

Today I visited Port Warwick and City Center and I'm really impressed by both projects. I had not visited NN since late 2004 and at that point Port Warwick was in the beginning phase of developments.

Space is certainly being conserved in the PW area, given the layout of the properties and how the garages are attached to the back of the home. While I like the concept, the homes in the center of the block have no "back yard" privacy, if you will. Nevertheless, I am greatly impressed and hate I didn't graduate early so I could have purchased one of the mixed-use units.

Next, I headed towards City Center and opted for a walking tour since it was such a nice day out. Again, I was impressed with the expansion and could see myself as a young professional feeling comfortable living in that area. I was suprised with the number of private retailers open on a Sunday. It would have been nice to have seen TJ's closer to CC. The area reminds me of what Atlanta is doing with Atlantic Station. Certainly, AS has the edge over CC in regards to the choice of retailers. At the same time, CC has the edge in regards to the proximity to major employers and having similar mixed property in the same vicinity (Port Warwick).

I think NN should be proud of their success in developing mixed use communities so brilliantly. Kiln Creek still looks as good as ever, too. I had a great time!!!

Edited by cityhopper

• 1 month later...

Anyone remember the Fossil Pit in Hampton? When I was at Western Branch Elementary our class took a field trip there and it was one of those things you remember for the rest of your life. I always wondered what happen to it, unfortunately its been closed for years an has been filled with water. Here is an article about it.

<a href="http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...5&ran=42902" target="_blank">http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...5&ran=42902</a>

I'm late to this subject... that is wild! I went there on a YMCA day camp field trip as a youth. We didn't find jack. I thought it was kind of a scam. I figured someone once found something cool, and then someone scored a burrow pit. But the fact that I remember it says something. They didn't tell us to bring anything to actually dig with, so the people at the place handed us spoons. Perhaps digging with a spoon took away from the experience. We had tons of fun running around though.

I wonder what the water visibility is like.... if it's clear enough it might be okay for SCUBA diving. I noticed 2 of the 3 comments mentioned that on the original article. I'd be game, although it would be pretty small. I don't know about the digging for fossils in the water though, I'm not certain that would work (stir it up then you loose your visibility).

Edited by Telmnstr