Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

You had to see me then. I was working the fight. I was wearing a reebok pullover that was black with tan on it. I was the bald headed white dude with a beard.

:lol: Bald headed white dudes were not in short supply. I was in the back with the Team Aguirre guys. My friend Jordan was the first fight.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought this was interesting... It was a list of the most congested cities in the country and they called us Hampton Roads, VA :)

32. Hampton Roads, Va.

2007 rank: 32

Population rank: 34 (1,658,754)

Congestion compared to 2007: -28.6%

Compared to worst metro area (L.A.): 6%

Worst bottleneck: Interstate 264 Westbound at City Hall Avenue (Exit 10)

Weekly hours of congestion: 28

Average speed when congested: 1.4 mph

Worst peak travel hour 2008: Friday, 4-5 p.m.

Worst peak travel hour 2007: Friday, 4-5 p.m.

Thought this was interesting... It was a list of the most congested cities in the country and they called us Hampton Roads, VA :)

32. Hampton Roads, Va.

2007 rank: 32

Population rank: 34 (1,658,754)

Congestion compared to 2007: -28.6%

Compared to worst metro area (L.A.): 6%

Worst bottleneck: Interstate 264 Westbound at City Hall Avenue (Exit 10)

Weekly hours of congestion: 28

Average speed when congested: 1.4 mph

Worst peak travel hour 2008: Friday, 4-5 p.m.

Worst peak travel hour 2007: Friday, 4-5 p.m.

Yay! Congestion actually went down. I'm willing to bet a large portion of that is due to deployments (and reduced truck traffic due to the tanking economy).

Oh, can you post a link to the full article please? :)

This is really good news. Without regionalism, we will truely struggle to keep up with the country. Specifically, it may be harder for us to receive the northeast high speed rail corridor. Which, while hard to envision now, will be the key ingredient for Hampton Roads to forge into the next century as a major growing economy. Another step is getting Craney island up and running, which will provide jobs to residents in all 7 of the cities, including Ivor, and Isle of Wight. And without the infrastructure (light rail, high speed rail, commuter rail, and better tunnel commuting via Midtown, Downtown, and the HRBT/3rd crossing) this will never come to fruition. The infrastructure to allow the labor pool mobility is key to attracting major business/commerce/industry. In regards to industry, it is possible to one day have both oil drilling and wind farming off shore which will again diversify our labor pool even more and bring in many export dollars to the region.

There are so many possibilities in the coming decades. I hope it begins with regionalism soon!

Im up for it, we should start talking about in the meetup thread. Where would we meet?

Respawn that thread. Doesn't matter to me. I have a car and drive fast. Will be in Raleigh this weekend, but after this week everything is chill. I'm game for next week during the week (night), or weekend after.

I live in downtown Norfolk, and can walk to places like Granby street, but I realize that others don't and they'd have to pay to park.

I was reading this article called America 2050 and it was about emerging megaregions and i thought it was interesting they grouped us in with the northeast megalopogis..

http://www.america2050.org//sync/elements/america2050map.png

300mph maglev train to DC and it wouldn't be that far :-)

I was in Chapel Hill over the weekend. Wow, 4 hours to Atlanta... perhaps 5 hours to Washington DC. Not that far to Richmond.

Anyone hear this mysterious explosion? VP

It was strange. I wish I had gone outside to see this supposed streak in the sky, but then again I probably would have missed it.

Friends on IRC (Internet Relay Chat) were talking about it. They said thunder, etc. But then it was apparent there was no storm. One friend (Erik) started listening to Virginia Beach police (the feed on HRConnect is down due to computer failure :-( and said it was going nuts. So we started listening to Chesapeake and Norfolk online, and they too were active with chatter about it.

Pretty wild!

Heard the police say they were contacting ORF airport, and Military said nothing... pretty wild.

When the Virginia Tech shooting happened, people in our chat room (which is mostly friends we know in person, we use it to communicate tech stuff related to our jobs and what not) were using it to talk because the campus had just gone into lockdown when the first shooting was known or whatever.

Had heard transformer was to blame via police, but I guess that is wrong.

Have to wonder if a plane didn't do something :-)

I heard it too. Damn near shook the house. My brother was outside coincidentally looking at the sky and he told me that he say an object falling in the sky, seconds later heard the boom and then saw a bright blue flash.

Perhaps it was a sonic boom from a huge meteor enter the atmosphere...seriously.

I do know that VBPD immediately after the boom got many dozens of calls about the boom, the light, and others seeing a meteor-like object in the sky.

That's my vote.

I heard it too. Damn near shook the house. My brother was outside coincidentally looking at the sky and he told me that he say an object falling in the sky, seconds later heard the boom and then saw a bright blue flash.

Perhaps it was a sonic boom from a huge meteor enter the atmosphere...seriously.

I do know that VBPD immediately after the boom got many dozens of calls about the boom, the light, and others seeing a meteor-like object in the sky.

That's my vote.

Yep, me too. I thought my neighbors had dropped a cabinet on the floor, lol. It wouldn't be too unusual for them, they seem to constantly be moving furniture for some reason. :rolleyes: Sounds like this was definitely a meteor from the descriptions. Hope someone got it on tape.

Well, I'm thinking there would HAVE to be surveillance, security, web cams SOMEWHERE that caught this on tape. Like the Westin webcam or the Wells Fargo webcam or something like how the Hudson River plane crash was caught by a surveillance camera.

I was thinking the same thing. Even though security cameras have a slow refresh rate, some of them had to get it. Of course they might not be aimed high enough.