Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Vdogg, we seem to be doing very well over here at HR UP with many new users and such. Being the numbers guy that I am  :blush: ,  I was curious how many users we have signed up in our area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd have to get with monsoon on that one as he is the one that normally crunches those numbers. I would guess anywhere from 25-40 signed members and a good rule of thumb is you usually have 2-3 times as many guest as regular members (and sometimes more). So you're probably looking at the low hundreds as far as locals who view the site but haven't signed up yet. Now i know there is at least 10 regulars in Richmond, probably upwards of 15 now. Nova and Roanoke have probably attracted 10 to the main forum all together. Keep in mind that there are more than a few members who have signed up but not posted yet (for what reason I don't know). I'll give a very general estimate and say 50-65 users for the Virginia forum as a whole.

Just looking at the Northeast forum section and I've noticed that we have almost  closed the gap with New England. We now have 11, 024 post to their 11,326. A 302 post (or 301 after I post this) difference. That gap used to be in the thousands. We've really been picking up the pace over here  :lol: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The gap is now down to 212 (11746 to 11534) :) . We are quickly on our way to becoming the busiest forum in the Northeast section.

Why did you put the mayor being elected in Off topic. It is a Norfolk development. It effects everything that is done in the city

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is not a development issue (i.e. buildings/projects being constructed, etc.) it is more along the lines of a political issue and therefore the off-topic thread is where it belongs.

There was an interesting article in this week's edition of Portfolio Weekly about Granby Street so I posted it here. I think this guy has some good ideas.

I have always thought that downtown needed more retail and shops on all first level buildings. we need more busniesses(sp?) and less 1st level homes downtown. bring people out of the woodwork and out into the city.

Good Article.

I have always thought that downtown needed more retail and shops on all first level buildings. we need more busniesses(sp?) and less 1st level homes downtown. bring people out of the woodwork and out into the city.

Good Article.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this will happen once enough people live downtown. You have to have a reason to build those. Have you noticed that every building that has condos being built has first floor retail in it. Its coming slowly but its happening. :thumbsup:

It's actually the Gas-lamp district, and it is filled with bars and restaurants, not so much stores. You'll find those at Horton Place which is like MacArthur. But I do like many of the suggestions. Taubman should hold out a couple more years until downtown becomes more upscale and Macy's has had a chance to prove itself in the HR market. If Bloomingdale's or Sak's still won't ink a deal, then it should try Parisian or develop the a mixed-use anchor. Imagine: a two-story B&N on Monticello with smaller stores on the parking-garage side. Above that offices and then a few condos in a 10-story building.

So what's up with people in Richmond?

Well, so much for that car. On the way home from work me and my mother had the misfortune of being involved in a 7 car pile up. Needless to say the car is totalled. What a great way to start my vacation. Hopefully this isn't a precursor of things to come. I'm serioulsly rethinking leaving the house this weekend. :lol: Drivers in this city are simply too crazy. I think everyone in HR needs to attend a mandatory refresher course in driving.

Well, so much for that car. On the way home from work me and my mother had the misfortune of being involved in a 7 car pile up. Needless to say the car is totalled. What a great way to start my vacation. Hopefully this isn't a precursor of things to come. I'm serioulsly rethinking leaving the house this weekend.
Edited by guynvb

That is terrible news indeed Vdogg. I hope you all are safe. It is a shame about the car and I agree the drivers around here are horrible. The first 6 yrs I lived here I was involved in 3 accidents, one hit and run.  :angry: Luckily I jumped out of the car and got the guy's license plate number. The guy was driving a nearly new BMW 2 dr coupe - now with dark gray paint on the doors.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The cops wrote the guys at fault a ticket, too bad they didn't speak a lick of english :lol: . One of the guys from work (the smart traffic center was only a few miles away) had to translate for them. They got a reckless driving and driving without a license. I can only imagine that if they didn't have a license they probably don't have insurance either. We were hit very hard but we're ok. My mother was taken to the hospital but she's out now. Other than some bumps, bruises, aches, and pains we're all right, just extremely p**sed off. :angry:

The cops wrote the guys at fault a ticket, too bad they didn't speak a lick of english  :lol: . One of the guys from work (the smart traffic center was only a few miles away) had to translate for them. They got a reckless driving and driving without a license. I can only imagine that if they didn't have a license they probably don't have insurance either. We were hit very hard but we're ok. My mother was taken to the hospital but she's out now. Other than some bumps, bruises, aches, and pains we're all right, just extremely p**sed off.  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know how you feel in a year and a half i was hit 7 times. 4 of them i was sitting in at red lights sitting there stopped. I wanted to rip heads off. The first time i got hit i jumped out the car so fast my wife started to cry cause she thought i was going to kill the lady that hit me. I'm pretty quick for my size.