Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

That's just the thing though, there was a study/article/something recently that I saw too that mentioned that the urban growth thing that has been occuring the last several years is starting to reverse again.  People are moving back to the suburbs again.  I think it said something along the lines of the urban cores were once bargain areas, but now that the housing market is going nuts, and inner cities are so popular, people would rather get a house in the burbs than spend so much for just a condo.  The bargains that drove the growth have dried up, so apparently ppl are looking elsewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I think we are safe here for a little while because we didn't have any DT living really until now. Unfortuntely we are playing catch up right now.

Well I think we are safe here for a little while because we didn't have any DT living really until now. Unfortuntely we are playing catch up right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That may work to our favor because while these condos are fairly expensive, they're cheaper than a lot of suburban subdivisions, that at least in the case of Norfolk, Virginia Beach (as urban as it is), and Newport News, people are still flocking into those areas grabbing up condo units. I don't forsee that trend reversing in our area for so long because for so long we were severely under-built. I don't think the market around here will pop, or even tremendously slow down. I'd like to call it stabilization when people realize that we're pricing out most residents of the area. Again, though, we seem to be playing catch-up in some ways.

That's just the thing though, there was a study/article/something recently that I saw too that mentioned that the urban growth thing that has been occuring the last several years is starting to reverse again.  People are moving back to the suburbs again.  I think it said something along the lines of the urban cores were once bargain areas, but now that the housing market is going nuts, and inner cities are so popular, people would rather get a house in the burbs than spend so much for just a condo.  The bargains that drove the growth have dried up, so apparently ppl are looking elsewhere.ht]

That may be true but I think PeninsulaKiddo identified an important aspect of this region's growth that defies such national trends.

Another distinction that is arguably more important is the fact that, unlike the urban housing market of yesteryear, people aren't FLEEING because of crime, but just not buying because of just how valuable the property is. This means that even should prices stay static and aloof, the downtown urban areas will remain at least busy and alive despite being prohibitively expensive for some to purchase property (but at least not deserted!). And if it were to go down, maybe a lot of those property owners who wanted a condo or urban apt before would be able to take the chance and get one.

It's also important to point out that many of the wealthier residents here in HR live in the suburbs still just because of a huge deficit of urban residential area. There simply isn't enough to cater to the local demand. While it will boost land prices, it's still cheap enough for upper middle class, especially from more affluent parts of the country, to have the option of buying here. I'm really not worried about any of that.

Edited by mercuex

I'm sure you all know, and I'm sure it has been mentioned somewhere in these HR threads, that there is a fairly active film studio in your area. THE FBI FILES is just one of the things that is filmed there - it's called New Dominion Studio and is, I think, in the western part of Suffolk.

Then, of course, you've got Pat Robinson's CNN. Lot of showbiz going on in your area (if you want to call Robinson a showbiz type! :lol:)

Edited by burt

I'm sure you all know, and I'm sure it has been mentioned somewhere in  these HR threads, that there is a fairly active film studio in your area.  THE FBI FILES is just one of the things that is filmed there - it's called New Dominion Studio and is, I think, in the western part of Suffolk.

Then, of course, you've got Pat Robinson's CNN.  Lot of showbiz going on in your area (if you want to call Robinson a showbiz type!  :lol:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean CBN?? :rofl:

INSIDER NEWS

Bill threatens loss of federal aid for condemnation

Proposal in House would penalize governments for taking property for private use

Inside Business - Hampton Roads

Monday August 8, 2005

If Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority and the city of Norfolk condemn private property for economic development, they could lose federal aid for the poor and the homeless, according to a bill introduced by Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., and supported by two Republicans.

Reacting to the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision giving local government broader condemnation powers, Waters said in a telephone interview,

Anyone going to school this fall semester? Its getting ready to start. I have to drive all the way to the beach campus. I wish they moved it a little bit closer to the interstate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not this semester, I'll try to get back in the spring.

Dang it, did it again! :blush: I've been sucked into an off-topic post. I'll have to move some of these later guys but have at it for now. :)

I'm on a tiny island with a beach about 4 miles from my house and I haven't been to the beach yet either!! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: Now thats just pitiful :D . I keep trying to make it out to the beach myself but I never feel up to dealing with the tourist and traffic.

Anyone going to school this fall semester? Its getting ready to start. I have to drive all the way to the beach campus. I wish they moved it a little bit closer to the interstate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm starting the last academic year of my life as a full-time student (hopefully?) on Sep 1.

I've got 2 more years of undergrad and then I figure I'll just go ahead and get grad school over with. What are goin for russ (like whats your major/degree)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good idea. If you know what you want to do and have the means to do it get it over with early! I'm glad I went directly in after getting my BA. So many friends who came back after years of working had a difficult transition.