Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

THANK YOU. Culture is what VA Beach needs.. and a lot of it.. in my humble opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its hard to build culture in a short period of time. Its taken time for Vabeach to build its image, remember it was founded in the 60's. Norfolk has a touch of culture and hope it continues to grow.

I agree. Town Center is a good idea and all, but there is no culture. Just new, shiny white buildings and corny names like "Central Park" and "the Cosmopolitan".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is a little bland but I can see some culture coming out of TC. It really has a sense of place and space. You would have to visit it to observe it though.

it takes time to build culture and culture comes with people establishing themselves somewhere and establishing a way people live their life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is where i would agree with you that history has alot to do with culture. It takes time and cities effect the way culture is by what they allow and what they don't. Our culture is dictated by the military and tourists*****especially Vabeach******. Norfolk has a big culture that is influenced with ships and life on the water.

this is where i would agree with you that history has alot to do with culture. It takes time and cities effect the way culture is by what they allow and what they don't. Our culture is dictated by the military and tourists*****especially Vabeach******. Norfolk has a big culture that is influenced with ships and life on the water.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And it doesn't help that VB is a sprawl-apolis which only further dilutes the feel of closeness.

that is true but you must spread your wings before you can fly, I hope you get my analogy. You can't justify going up without spreading out first.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well there are different ways of growing a city - out and up but the city is definitely maturing and it is true that it is only 40 yrs young. There are not too many cities our size which are so young as well.

Well there are different ways of growing a city - out and up but the city is definitely maturing and it is true that it is only 40 yrs young. There are not too many cities our size which are so young as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know so you should be proud how Vabeach has grown. It is trying to shed the suburbia image and bring a urban feel to the city. :thumbsup:

actually many of the companies in Portland started here. Many of them were people of Portland who helped start these companies. All I am saying is if you want fortune 500 companies, then grow fortune 500 companies. These companies don't move for the fun of it.

And it is not time that builds culture, it is the will to build culture. Time only helps it age and mature. I will say this, the Military doesn't help culture anymore.

He's got a couple of pages to clean up on this thread! :rofl:  We can't help ourselves dude and sorry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No wonder the off topic thread is one of the biggest threads of the forum. I think i'm gonna rename it "everything but the kitchen sink" :lol: .

actually many of the companies in Portland started here.  Many of them were people of Portland who helped start these companies.  All I am saying is if you want fortune 500 companies, then grow fortune 500 companies.  These companies don't move for the fun of it.

And it is not time that builds culture, it is the will to build culture.  Time only helps it age and mature.  I will say this, the Military doesn't help culture anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I think about it culture is a lot of things but is basically the 'flavor' an area has. What may contribute to culture is the types of jobs in the area, families and perhaps generation of families, availability and/or influence of the arts. Of course geography has something to do with it too esp since we are on the coast.

One more thing! When do we get to see the renderings of the new city courthouse. Do you guys think they are waiting to see what the GSA is doing before they get a rendering of some sort?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think its that, I just think that the new courthouse probably isn't done yet. Its probably still being planned. As for the Hilton, something must be going on....this quiet can't go on forever!

Just looking at the Northeast forum section and I've noticed that we have almost closed the gap with New England. We now have 11, 024 post to their 11,326. A 302 post (or 301 after I post this) difference. That gap used to be in the thousands. We've really been picking up the pace over here :lol: .

Just looking at the Northeast forum section and I've noticed that we have almost  closed the gap with New England. We now have 11, 024 post to their 11,326. A 302 post (or 301 after I post this) difference. That gap used to be in the thousands. We've really been picking up the pace over here  :lol: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're pretty much fully developed and we have so much catching up to do that we have so much to talk about. That's why the Charlotte and Raleigh, etc. threads are so busy is we all have so much catching up to do its unreal.. :whistling: