Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

We need something like this in Va. Beach. It's the nations tallest suburban office tower and at 64 floors and 901  it only took 16 months to build. Tell me why the Westin, at almost half it's height, will take almost twice as long  <_< . Suburban Tower

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, I like that building. But notice it said it took a remarkably short time for a building that size, so I wouldn't expect that amount of time for other buildings.

We need something like this in Va. Beach. It's the nations tallest suburban office tower and at 64 floors and 901  it only took 16 months to build. Tell me why the Westin, at almost half it's height, will take almost twice as long  <_< . Suburban Tower

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't the Galleria area of Houston the main business district? I believe downtown has gotten a lift recently from Minute Maid (nee Enron Field) Park. Besides, Houston itself has 2 MN people with the total metro pop of over 5 MN. As for construction time, I'm gonna hazard a guess it has to do with material. The Williams Tower in Houston is an office building so it is made of steel, while the Westin is a concrete structure. I would think steel buildings require less time to put up, but I'll let our resident structural engineer weigh in on this.

Just an interesting tidbit - I was watching TLC tonight about the development of the Ford Syn US. This prototype car was made as an escape for the urban masses. Ford said the reason they made the car is because for the first time, by 2010 more people will live in the inner city than not. On one hand I could make sense of this since the US is seeing an unprecedented amount of urban renewal and growth. On the other its hard to believe due to the amount of people who actually live outside in the suburbs. But hopefully we got another good 6 years of urban growth ahead of us. Imagine how this place will look by then! Rock on!! :thumbsup:

You can take a look here for the website for the car. The car has no back window instead utilizing a 45" monitor/tv.

Edited by guynvb

Just an interesting tidbit - I was watching TLC tonight about the development of the Ford Syn US. This prototype car was made as an escape for the urban masses. Ford said the reason they made the car is because for the first time, by 2010 more people will live in the inner city than not. On one hand I could make sense of this since the US is seeing an unprecedented amount of urban renewal and growth. On the other its hard to believe due to the amount of people who actually live outside in the suburbs. But hopefully we got another good 6 years of urban growth ahead of us. Imagine how this place will look by then! Rock on!!  :thumbsup:

You can take a look here for the website for the car. The car has no back window instead utilizing a 45" monitor/tv.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it a car or a tank? :rofl: . Arnold would be proud of this one. :)

Welcome back everybody. Well, to say we're experiencing growing pains would be an understatement. :lol: To make a long story short we ran out of temporary space on the server. Not too many more details then that, thats the word that admin passed down straight from the technicians. At any rate, they made some changes and problems were fixed and we are back up and running. I never realized how much of my life i devoted to this site until into was down this weekend. I literally didn't know what to do with myself. :lol:

Welcome back everybody. Well, to say we're experiencing growing pains would be an understatement.  :lol:  To make a long story short we ran out of temporary space on the server. Not too many more details then that, thats the word that admin passed down straight from the technicians. At any rate, they made some changes and problems were fixed and we are back up and running. I never realized how much of my life i devoted to this site until into was down this weekend. I literally didn't know what to do with myself.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it was actually all those hits from the Va Pilot users that crashed the system :rofl: . Seriously, I am glad it is back up. I was about to go thru withdrawal symptons :wacko::w00t:

It's gonna be real interesting to see how many new users we have sign on since our grand advertisement in the paper. But then just as I was gauging how many new views the different threads were getting, the system goes down for almost 2 days.... go figure.. :angry:

Well what does everyone think about Norfolk surpassing their last year total and about our rising gang problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't understand why, with the economy in as great of shape as it is locally, that we are currently having this resurgence in crime. It seems counterintuitive. Whatever is going on they need to crack down on it pretty quick or it is gonna start affecting the image we've worked so hard to improve in recent years.

I don't understand why, with the economy in as great of shape as it is locally, that we are currently having this resurgence in crime. It seems counterintuitive. Whatever is going on they need to crack down on it pretty quick or it is gonna start affecting the image we've worked so hard to improve in recent years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From my understanding the gangs are doing the murders to rival gangs and has nothing to do with our economy. They had an article about gangs in hampton roads and said that they dramatically increasing here and that MS-13 is starting to have a large presence in the area. Norfolk had 5 murders last week. Richmond is having the same if not more problems.

A note from admin.

I am extremely sorry for the downtime which occurred on July 10th & 11th.  The site is back up and we have pinpointed the cause of the problem so not to let it happen again.  The site has been growing by leaps and bounds and this was unfortunately part of our growing pains.  All of the staff here at UrbanPlanet.org want to thank you for your perserverance and support through all of your e-mails and IMs.  I want to thank each and every one of you for being such a vital part of our community here.  Thank you again and we all look forward to many more topics here at UrbanPlanet.org!

Neo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From my understanding the gangs are doing the murders to rival gangs and has nothing to do with our economy. They had an article about gangs in hampton roads and said that they dramatically increasing here and that MS-13 is starting to have a large presence in the area. Norfolk had 5 murders last week. Richmond is having the same if not more problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I hear a lot about that one El Salvadoran gang (???) in Norfolk. Apparently there's friction, from what I hear, between the indigenous gangs and the foreigners. How great, eh?

By the way, the last thing I want to do is to have HR crime rates compared to Richmond. If you recall, Richmond has a grossly inordinate amount of crime given its size. In fact, just some years ago it had the highest per capita murder rate in the country. YEAH.

MONEY magazine just listed York County among the top 100 places in America in which to live (33rd place). It was one of 4 Virginia localities on the list, but the only one from Hampton Roads. This is taken directly from today's Daily Press. :)

Part of me is proud that my hometown is in the top 50 best places to live in America... but... I just guess it's not my personal cup of tea...

Good things: Excellent school system

High median household income

Fairly good weather

Proximity to resources such as airports, shopping, libaries, etc.

Bad things (in my opinion): No mass transit in the county

Living is impossible without a car (no sidewalks... this IS a county)

The Rte. 17 corridor is pretty fugly, but improving.