Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Could be!  But I wouldn't want to cross Wilder by disputing his figures!  phew!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is true sometimes, but I only took the most recent figures I could find online lol yet they are a little out-dated. Hell, if Norfolk can come back from 2 decades of double-digit % drops in population overnight, Richmond definitely is capable of the same.

I noticed that right after I wrote it I was like.... "err... maybe they won't notice", but it's still good news nonetheless---though if Newport News could get its act together it could catch up  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey I have a feeling if all those major new housing projects work out Newport News will more than catch up...

Let's see-

City Center, Endview, Mariner's Pointe, Village at Stony Run, Port Warwick ... yeah I think Newport News will do OK :D

I noticed that right after I wrote it I was like.... "err... maybe they won't notice", but it's still good news nonetheless---though if Newport News could get its act together it could catch up  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PK, judging from some pictures I saw today somewhere on this forum, I'd say that NN is catching up VERY quickly. It sure doesn't look remotely similar to the seedy city I remember from visits in my youth during the 1950s. Congratulations on great progress! :)

The commercial advances that the city is making are quite impressive, but residentially (if that's a word haha) -speaking, Lee Hall could be the last significant residential development that the city will see until developments like the City Center building (whose named just fell out of my mind lol) become absolutely necessary.  I hope that time comes soon though!  lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I do know that the Lee Hall/Endview developments are supposed to total something like a half billion dollars of development in a village style scheme ... though half a billion dollars is one hell of a damn village.

The development is being slated to meet two primary objectives and one peripheral goal:

1. I know that the impetus for the whole thing was to stem the tide of affluent residents leaving NN to go to Williamsburg, York County or James City County to buy upscale houses. Clearly, NN has more cultural offerings than either place and to lose those kinds of residents drains the municipal economy. This being the case, houses in Endview are going to be anywhere from $400,000 to like $1.5 million or something (I forget the official range).

2. The coolest thing about it is the plan to make Endview a sort of "fourth leg" to the historic triangle. Probably one of Newport News's greatest past failings is the apparent inability to really draw on the massive tourist influx in neighboring Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. To rectify this, along with upgrading all the museums in the city and promoting an aggressive tourism campaign, the Endview real estate would be further billed as a significant site of historical notoriety (Site of 1861 Peninsula Campaign as well as various colonial sites). The addition of a "village" area is meant to promote commerce and coalesce the historic area, including NN, into a more cohesive and unified entity.

3. And, of course, this follows Newport News's master plan to urbanize the city.

Anyway, I think we could do all right!

Ah yes ... the Meridian ... man that's going to be a sweet development! I have a dream that after City Center is *finished* all these new companies will announce relocation to Newport News and CC becomes the hip place to be and more residential spots open because it's just so damn awesome.

Then...

A high rise "downtown" ... oh it would be wonderful.

Well I do know that the Lee Hall/Endview developments are supposed to total something like a half billion dollars of development in a village style scheme ... though half a billion dollars is one hell of a damn village.

The development is being slated to meet two primary objectives and one peripheral goal:

1. I know that the impetus for the whole thing was to stem the tide of affluent residents leaving NN to go to Williamsburg, York County or James City County to buy upscale houses. Clearly, NN has more cultural offerings than either place and to lose those kinds of residents drains the municipal economy. This being the case, houses in Endview are going to be anywhere from $400,000 to like $1.5 million or something (I forget the official range).

2. The coolest thing about it is the plan to make Endview a sort of "fourth leg" to the historic triangle. Probably one of Newport News's greatest past failings is the apparent inability to really draw on the massive tourist influx in neighboring Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. To rectify this, along with upgrading all the museums in the city and promoting an aggressive tourism campaign, the Endview real estate would be further billed as a significant site of historical notoriety (Site of 1861 Peninsula Campaign as well as various colonial sites). The addition of a "village" area is meant to promote commerce and coalesce the historic area, including NN, into a more cohesive and unified entity.

3. And, of course, this follows Newport News's master plan to urbanize the city.

Anyway, I think we could do all right!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The second point is particularly important because if we have a huge tourist boom in that area after '07 (which past events would indicate) then Lee Hall could be one biggggggg cash-cow for Newport News.

And yes. A VERY BIG village hahaha. I guess I'm just more impatient than most :P

I was reading in another thread somewhere earlier about growth and how it seemed some people are against it. This is just my perspective (as a non-native person) but mostly the persons I hear talking about 'horrible traffic' and who may be against growth (esp high rise growth) are those whom are born here and have seen this area explode in population. That would make sense a little in my mind seeing that these persons grew up in a smaller population whereas perhaps others moved here from up north or other larger areas who are more accustomed or used to traffic and lots of construction. Of course I could be way off base but perhaps some natives might chide in how they feel about that. :rolleyes:

I was reading in another thread somewhere earlier about growth and how it seemed some people are against it. This is just my perspective (as a non-native person) but mostly the persons I hear talking about 'horrible traffic' and who may be against growth (esp high rise growth) are those whom are born here and have seen this area explode in population. That would make sense a little in my mind seeing that these persons grew up in a smaller population whereas perhaps others moved here from up north or other larger areas who are more accustomed or used to traffic and lots of construction. Of course I could be way off base but perhaps some natives might chide in how they feel about that.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've lived here a grand total of 7/16 years of my life and have lived in many other locales, so I don't consider myself a local at all for the record lol. I can understand people who lived here 30 or 40+ years ago who loved it for its quiet, quaint nature and now that certainly is disappearing quickly. Still, to be opposed to any development is foolish and immature. They cry out "services, schools, police, firefighters, parks!" but don't want the business or taxes or ANYTHING to fund it. But that's another thing entirely. :rolleyes:

It is just funny to me. My former boss (ok, I am not saying how old she is other than she is a native lol) talked about all the traffic in Pembroke for instance and how she avoids it seemingly at all cost. Another native was saying the same although not as critical of the traffic. Anyway, my brain ponders such important things such as this. :blink::blush:

I was reading in another thread somewhere earlier about growth and how it seemed some people are against it. This is just my perspective (as a non-native person) but mostly the persons I hear talking about 'horrible traffic' and who may be against growth (esp high rise growth) are those whom are born here and have seen this area explode in population. That would make sense a little in my mind seeing that these persons grew up in a smaller population whereas perhaps others moved here from up north or other larger areas who are more accustomed or used to traffic and lots of construction. Of course I could be way off base but perhaps some natives might chide in how they feel about that.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I've noticed kinda the opposite. I grew up(well mostly) in Va Beach. Never really knew any area more developed/congested than HR till after I'd left. People I know like that, that grew up there, seem ok with how things are. Yeah they say traffice gets worse every year, but they don't seem to think that is just HR, and realize that it gets worse every year everywhere. The people I've noticed that seem to be kinda against growth and change in general... and this is just in my experieces, seem to be retirees. Mostly from outside the are though. People who look around about where to retire.. and go, oh.. HR is a nice place. And move down here. When the area starts to change from their ideal, and become more like what they might have moved away from they get vocal about it.

Not to bash on our senior citizen neighbours or nothing, but they got a lot of free time to complain about all those tall buildings, bad traffic, and noisy kids on my lawn!! :P

That would make sense too at least in my mind. Well, the thing is this area used to be pretty 'sleepy' and small but alas now we have awoken if you will - to bigger and hopefully better things. And this area does tend to attract a lot of retirees as well. Seems most beach towns do.

Edited by guynvb

Well, though I spent the first three years of my life in New York but the last 17 have been mostly here in Hampton Roads. I remember Oyster Point before there were major roads and interstate junctions, etc ... and I have to admit I somewhat empathize with those who miss the fields and the cows and open land.

I remember climbing up the hill on what is now Victory blvd and walking through open grass fields in what is now a suburban strip mall ... and it's sort of sad when I think about it.

At the same time, though, the same voices inside of me that is bitter of the sprawling, ugly developments also led me to respect and love urban development. Add to the fact that most of my family is still in NY and I go there regularly, I figured that density is what matters, not stopping growth altogether.

So how long have you been out of the area sugoiben?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I guess.. technically.. since I went to college which was 94.

Was still down there every summer and winter during school. And get down there fairly regularly to visit family. I try to keep up with what's going on down that way as best I can online.

Reba's getting on my nerves, frankly, and I've never even met the woman.  It seems like every development, no matter how large or small, she always says "I don't believe it's right for the community" or "I haven't seen enough information on the project" which is usually bull as-is.

If she's going to represent a city of 1/2 million she needs to buck up and realize that it's a big city with a lot of new and coming interest.  She should go be a mayor/representative of Roanoke or Staunton or something.  Maybe Poquoson, but not a major, rapidly-growing city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to remember that this is the lady who, while referring to the architect's presentation of the initial renderings of the new Virginia Beach Conference Center, asked said architect (a partner in the world-renowned firm of Skidmore, Owens and Merrill), "What exactly IS it?" The poor man looked rather stunned by the question but was polite nonetheless. Surely, he must have thinking: "Where on Earth have I landed? Who IS this country hick? Get me back to Chicago!" Good ol' Meyera chimed in just in time with something like: "This is not Williamsburg! People need to open their minds a little bit here!"

:o Ouch on a couple of counts there. Meyera put a little sting into that one.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even though she is a politician and therefore susceptible to the changing winds of public opinion (pressure groups/media), Meyera is a bit more cosmopolitan and sophisiticated than most of the rest of the council. She was one of those on Council who pressed very hard for creating a truly iconic structure to replace the Pavilion. Did anyone see her public comments on the Peformance Theater ground-breaking concert under the tent? She was very eloquent and passionate about the entire experience, not only in terms of the transforming power of the arts, but also relative to the potential nighttime spill-over for Town Center businesses! Sometimes I think she's the only one on Council who actually gets out and lives! She's also a past-president of the National Council of Mayors where she received rave reviews for her leadership. I'm not promoting her politics, per se, (she obviously doesn't need me!) but I do wish that the citizens of Virginia Beach would think twice before tossing her out in favor of someone like Reeve, McClannan or Dean.

Even though she is a politician and therefore susceptible to the changing winds of public opinion (pressure groups/media), Meyera is a bit more cosmopolitan and sophisiticated than most of the rest of the council.  She was one of those on Council who pressed very hard for creating a truly iconic structure to replace the Pavilion. Did anyone see her public comments on the Peformance Theater ground-breaking concert under the tent? She was very eloquent and passionate about the entire experience, not only in terms of the transforming power of the arts, but also relative to the potential nighttime spill-over for Town Center businesses! Sometimes I think she's the only one on Council who actually gets out and lives! She's also a past-president of the National Council of Mayors where she received rave reviews for her leadership. I'm not promoting her politics, per se, (she obviously doesn't need me!) but I do wish that the citizens of Virginia Beach would think twice before tossing her out in favor of someone like Reeve, McClannan or Dean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't like her, she is so anti-Norfolk.

I don't like her, she is so anti-Norfolk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aggravating to no end, I'm sure, but there are a lot of people in city hall at vb who are a little ticked with Norfolk/Portsmouth and their hungry-like-the-wolf attitude towards suffolk.

Not to mention the fact that I'm sure there's a complex there given the fact that VB is VA's largest city (by far) and yet somehow it's still somewhat under the shadow of Norfolk. True, it's not the most historical, but I can see why there's a little animosity. Clearly VB wants to make its own mark and not be merely considered a suburb or Norfolk or just another municipality in Norfolk's orbit.

In actuality, I think there are many cities in HR that feel this way to some extent. Norfolk is clearly the center of HR but everyone seems to be a suburb of everyone else. Hence the ridiculous traffic on both sides of the HRBT at rush hour.