Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Saw a commercial last night that stated that Sun Trust is now Wachovia.  Seems like these North Carolina Banks are back at it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you have that confused with South Trust. That is what Wachovia just bought. I was wiring all the network and atms to their routers and Wachovia picked up South Trust not Suntrust.

So does that mean we're gonna have 2 wachovia towers downtown now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read the other day in a Pilotonline article that Wachovia will move out of Dominion Tower and the Bank of Hampton Roads will move most of their major operations there - so the Wachovia name will soon be removed from Dominion Tower. And B of HR will still have their office building on Plume Street.

Even before the SouthTrust merger, the Wachovia brand is already on two downtown buildings - Dominion Tower and the World Trade Center. So technically Wachovia will still be on two downtown buildings - Main St. Tower and the WTC.

I think you have that confused with South Trust. That is what Wachovia just bought. I was wiring all the network and atms to their routers and Wachovia picked up South Trust not Suntrust.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, that sounds right. It was one of those trust banks. Phew! At least we still have the leaning tower of Sun Trust. :P

It's unfortunate how all the cities had to compete against eachother for this one. A project like this can benefit the metro area as a whole, not just one city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is unfortunate, but it is reality and business as usual in Tidewater/Hampton Roads/Southeastern Virginia/Seven Cities. I think Virginia Beach didn't have the same level of need as Norfolk does since Virginia Beach has had the money and land to build a whole series of quality Rec Centers all over the city. The only thing halfway comparable in Norfolk is the newly opened facility at the site of the old Jewish Community Center near Wards Corner.

The Norfolk Admirals are now on board, which makes sense as an ice rink is mentioned as a part of the amenities:

ADMIRALS PARTNER WITH CITY OF NORFOLK AND SALVATION ARMY IN PURSUIT OF GRANT FOR COMMUNITY CENTER

NORFOLK, VA

It is unfortunate, but it is reality and business as usual in Tidewater/Hampton Roads/Southeastern Virginia/Seven Cities.  I think Virginia Beach didn't have the same level of need as Norfolk does since Virginia Beach has had the money and land to build a whole series of quality Rec Centers all over the city.  The only thing halfway comparable in Norfolk is the newly opened facility at the site of the old Jewish Community Center near Wards Corner.

The Norfolk Admirals are now on board, which makes sense as an ice rink is mentioned as a part of the amenities:

ADMIRALS PARTNER WITH CITY OF NORFOLK AND SALVATION ARMY IN PURSUIT OF GRANT FOR COMMUNITY CENTER

NORFOLK, VA

Yeah it said that Va Beach was disappointed when Norfolk got it (or looks like the likely candidate). I think it will be a great benefit to Norfolk or any city, and I can see why they would all want it. Would this be used by NSU possibly too as athletic facilities?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

VaBeach already has great rec centers and Norfolk rec centers suck so why are they dissapointed. I think they wanted to take something from Norfolk just for the sake to take something from them with some jobs leaving the Beach and going to Norfolk. They really have no reason for that center anyways.

You got a link to the full article?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, that was just a cut and paste job of a short press release that I received via email from the Norfolk Admirals.

Here is their website, but I don't see any mention of this release:

http://www.norfolkadmirals.com/

Chesapeake Pirate

Edited by Chesapeake Pirate

We thought our Westin would be tall but Raleigh developers want to build up 40 storeys in Crabtree!  :o But just maybe.... ours will end up that tall too.  :huh:

complete story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what others have been saying though, I don't think Raleighs city council is as much behind the height of this building as ours is of the Westin. It's already meeting with some resistance.

Maybe its the shading or something but that rendering is horrible. Looks like it belongs in Gotham City or something. LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a very rough sketch and I never trust a black and white rendering. We'll just have to wait for the color ones to come out.

I was just reading the postings about the proposed Raleigh Westin when I spotted this posted by the forum op Orulz:

"Heard of Atlantic Station in Atlanta or the Town Center in Virginia Beach? Aim for something like that. Neither are perfect and neither are exactly like Crabtree, but the same principles apply. If you're going to turn Crabtree into a live/work/play activity center, do it RIGHT. "

Hey, someone else thinks we are doing it right as well. :)

My bad.  According to the 2000 Census, P-town was in fact 51% African-American.  Norfolk had no majority.  Hampton technically had no majority (if you don't round).  NN and Suffolk were barely a white majority.  Chesapeake was about 2/3 white and 1/3 black.  VB was 70% caucasian.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, i thought Suffolk would be more white. Kinda off topic, but I always wondered what the major ethic group on our Hampton Roads forum is. :rolleyes: