Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

OT: Is there a reason we can't PM (private message) people on this board? I tried to PM vdogg and I got an error.

vdogg: I was going to PM you and ask if you could point me to a decent picture of the 'new' Decker building that I could use for my avatar. I have searched and cannot find an image.

Also: The Decker law firm name is now up on the two story portion of the Towne Bank Building. It is gold lettering and faces the waterside/spirit of norfolk docking area.

OT:  Is there a reason we can't PM (private message) people on this board?  I tried to PM vdogg and I got an error.

vdogg: I was going to PM you and ask if you could point me to a decent picture of the 'new' Decker building that I could use for my avatar. I have searched and cannot find an image.

Also: The Decker law firm name is now up on the two story portion of the Towne Bank Building.  It is gold lettering and faces the waterside/spirit of norfolk docking area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're in the new members group. You aren't allowed to use the pm function until you're upgraded to members status which is after 10 post. To answer your question though, I don't think we have any posted on the site yet. You may want to ask Willy about it since he post the vast majority of pics anyway.

Edited by vdogg

I don't understand how someone came on this forum and started a war with Charlotte???? We just need to concentrate on our development and go where we can be what we are and we are metro area that can not be compared to any other. We are very unique. Either you like this area or you don't. Maybe one day we will have some jobs like Charlotte but why bash a city because it has a lot of nice and new buildings???? We are old but yet we have a small dt for the metro size because of our uniqueness. Lets come together and enjoy our own developments without bashing the next. A city doesn't have to have a big history behind it in order to be a cool city. I bet alot of people felt the same way from London when the came to NYC.

I'm from North Carolina, but I'm actually only 90 miles from Hampton Roads. I definitely see HR as a potential new urban hubub of activity but it needs to attract maybe some new commercial or high tech interests to help bring jobs to the inner sanctums of downtown hampton, norfolk, portsmouth. Secondly, and just as important it needs a metro rail system for the obvious metro stops to develop. I only fear what monster would be unleashed on the lush undeveloped tracts of land in Northeast North Carolina.

Stay away from the Dismal Swamp and Gaston Lake!!!! developers <_<

I'm from North Carolina, but I'm actually only 90 miles from Hampton Roads.  I definitely see HR as a potential new urban hubub of activity but it needs to attract maybe some new commercial or high tech interests to help bring jobs to the inner sanctums of downtown hampton, norfolk, portsmouth.  Secondly, and just as important it needs a metro rail system for the obvious metro stops to develop.  I only fear what monster would be unleashed on the lush undeveloped tracts of land in Northeast North Carolina. 

Stay away from the Dismal Swamp and Gaston Lake!!!! developers <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually nothing much will ever happen to NE NC. The land is a hurricane hotspot and lowlevel land. So development in that area will stay small. Will probably be some continued growth out towards the Outer Banks, but that is a given.

Actually nothing much will ever happen to NE NC.  The land is a hurricane hotspot and lowlevel land.  So development in that area will stay small.  Will probably be some continued growth out towards the Outer Banks, but that is a given.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I think it would take a long time for sprawl from HR to reach places such as Elizabeth City, etc.

Yeah I think it would take a long time for sprawl from HR to reach places such as Elizabeth City, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well it's already reaching areas like South Mills and Moyock. I strongly disagree that NE NC is just a hurricane magnet and will never be developed. I think that as land grows more expensive in HR and if VA Beach and Chesa. stay firm on their "green lines" that housing development will spread further south.

I don't think that they are going to have skyscrapers and stuff like that down there, just a huge swath of suburbs and strip malls. Yay... <_<

Well it's already reaching areas like South Mills and Moyock.  I strongly disagree that NE NC is just a hurricane magnet and will never be developed.  I think that as land grows more expensive in HR and if VA Beach and Chesa. stay firm on their "green lines" that housing development will spread further south.

I don't think that they are going to have skyscrapers and stuff like that down there, just a huge swath of suburbs and strip malls.  Yay...  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yay indeed, hahaha. Hopefully, even if suburbia swallows up the NE NC counties, some sort of rural character can persist to keep it unique and naturally beautiful.

This is really way off topic but it seems everytime I click on a link all of my windows close up and I am left with one window. I cannot even hit the back button to return to the previously viewed window. I am not sure how this started or what to do but if anyone of you have any suggestions of how to fix it I would appreciate it.

This is really way off topic but it seems everytime I click on a link all of my windows close up and I am left with one window. I cannot even hit the back button to return to the previously viewed window. I am not sure how this started or what to do but if anyone of you have any suggestions of how to fix it I would appreciate it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Clear out your cache and temporary internet files and to do this depends on the O.S. that you have

I had the opportunity to attend a meeting on the top floor(28th)/Cardinal Club of the Wachovia Tower in Raleigh yesterday.

Boy oh boy, is Norfolk years ahead of Raleigh! They are just now digging up their pedestrian mall down their main downtwon street. They whole area is a real mess.

We have much to be thankful for in Norfolk, for the planning done in the past and the development planned for the near future.

Chesapeake Pirate

I had the opportunity to attend a meeting on the top floor(28th)/Cardinal Club of the Wachovia Tower in Raleigh yesterday.

Boy oh boy, is Norfolk years ahead of Raleigh!  They are just now digging up their pedestrian mall down their main downtwon street.  They whole area is a real mess.

We have much to be thankful for in Norfolk, for the planning done in the past and the development planned for the near future.

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's wrong with their pedestrian mall? Are they opening it up to traffic? If they have retail/people traffic problems with it, maybe they should take a trip to Cville or Santa Monica to see highly successful models.

That should worry alot people. All that time and money you spend and it could be taken away from you just like that. That would really suck dude.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as there are specified borders for development layed down by the city so developers cant just scatter and bulid any where, i think it will be fine. Mosst of the land taken in Va Beach has been abandoned warehouses and old office buildings. The only people who need to worry now are those in the small town houses right next to town center behind the theater.

As long as there are specified borders for development layed down by the city so developers  cant just scatter and bulid any where, i think it will be fine.  Mosst of the land taken in Va Beach has been abandoned warehouses and old office buildings.  The only people who need to worry now are those in the small town houses right next to town center behind the theater.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt Columbus Station is going anywhere. Taco Bell and the Pilot should start worrying more. Now municipalities can take the land for fair market value rather than negotiate a price like what was done with the Neptune owners. The remaining property owners in Burton Station are also prime candidates, if the city can sort through the jumbled property titles.

Edited by hoobo

That should worry alot people. All that time and money you spend and it could be taken away from you just like that. That would really suck dude.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They do have to pay fair market value. They can't just seize your property, that would violate the 4th Amendment. Eminent domain for public projects is one thing. But for private/economic purposes, why can't the developer negotiate a purchase? There is always a right price. If there isn't, leasing the land is always an option.

I shouldn't have posted this in here. Shoul've realized it would lead to move discussion than just TC implications. Vdogg can you move this to the off topic thread. Thanks.

moved

Edited by vdogg

What's wrong with their pedestrian mall?  Are they opening it up to traffic?  If they have retail/people traffic problems with it, maybe they should take a trip to Cville or Santa Monica to see highly successful models.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Santa Monica is uniquely successful. It is a fabulous situation. I don't think Charlottesville is anything special, talking specifically about their pedestrian mall.

Raleigh had, like most cities that tried it, a stinker on their hands. The isolation from the automobile and creation of a mall-like atmosphere sounded good on paper, but it drove people away here, there, and elsewhere.

Chesapeake Pirate

I am not so sure I have nothing to worry about (I live in Columbus Station). After TC is built out, City View and City Walk is done then where else is left? Columbus Station is ripe for the picking if you ask me. We are the only neighborhood (as we speak) that is technically located in the CBD. And the city could easily say it would be for the betterment of 'all' to condemn the land and build more skyscrapers thus adding thousands of dollars to their tax rolls. It's a scary scenario I try not to think about.

I am not so sure I have nothing to worry about (I live in Columbus Station). After TC is built out, City View and City Walk is done then where else is left? Columbus Station is ripe for the picking if you ask me. We are the only neighborhood (as we speak) that is technically located in the CBD. And the city could easily say it would be for the betterment of 'all' to condemn the land and build more skyscrapers thus adding thousands of dollars to their tax rolls. It's a scary scenario I try not to think about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It'll be another 50 years before that happens. There are other neighborhoods in the CBD like Pocahontas Village, the neighborhood next to it, the tailer park next to that, etc. The trailer park, if it hasn't already been bought, and Pocahontas Village will fall to the dozer before Columbus Station comes down. There are also plenty of parking lots and shopping centers (Circuit City, Kmart, Food Lion, FX) that are more likely to be redeveloped. Anyway, in 50 years, CS will be run-down (considering how shoddy 1980's construction is) so redevelopment (by a private developer) will be good. I just don't think the city will really get involved with CBD development as much as they have with TC (including Taco Bell and Beacon building). They just had to get the ball rolling with TC.