Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

If it was someone on here who helped emporis get its act together in relation to Norfolk, then KUDOS TO YOU.  I looked on the site and it said "43 high rises" and I thought "hmmmm"  :silly:

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it appears that someone has definately accepted the emporis challenge :rofl: . The site is fairly up to date but it's still missing harbor heights. Norfolk highrises (scroll down to the bottom).

Yes it appears that someone has definately accepted the emporis challenge  :rofl: . The site is fairly up to date but it's still missing harbor heights. Norfolk highrises (scroll down to the bottom).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank GOD!! Its about damn time! :D Harbor Heights is on the next page, because it only shows towers 21-40. 41-43 are on the next page.

So I had a chance to attend the opening of Premiere on Granby street last night. For those unfamiliar Premiere is a new upscale nightclub held in the newly renovated Granby theater. What a fantastic place this was. The people and music were great and the theater itself was absolutely beautiful. They had one glitch during the night (some idiot pulled the fire alarm and this somehow caused them to lose power for quite some time :angry: ), but initial problems are to be expected at new venues. All in all it was a great night. When the club started to let out we decided to go for a walk down Granby street. The whole area was on fire with activity and this was like 2 in the morning. Other downtowns may empty out after nightfall but not Norfolk, thats for sure :) . Finally, this club was absolutely packed with people. I don't know if the city has already raised capacity but if not they need to. It was wall to wall people there and none of the new condos have come online yet. I can only imagine how crazy it will be when they do. :o

So I had a chance to attend the opening of Premiere on Granby street last night. For those unfamiliar Premiere is a new upscale nightclub held in the newly renovated Granby theater. What a fantastic place this was. The people and music were great and the theater itself was absolutely beautiful. They had one glitch during the night (some idiot pulled the fire alarm and this somehow caused them to lose power for quite some time  :angry: ), but initial problems are to be expected at new venues. All in all it was a great night. When the club started to let out we decided to go for a walk down Granby street. The whole area was on fire with activity and this was like 2 in the morning. Other downtowns may empty out after nightfall but not Norfolk, thats for sure  :) . Finally, this club was absolutely packed with people. I don't know if the city has already raised capacity but if not  they need to. It was wall to wall people there and none of the new condos have come online yet. I can only imagine how crazy it will be when they do.  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind of club is it? What kind of music do they play? Dress code?

What kind of club is it? What kind of music do they play? Dress code?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dance music, etc. Yes there is a dress code which is not mentioned on their website (which is pretty stupid). You can't where jeans but other than that it seems that casual nice attire is fine. Can't really say for sure though until they post an official dress code. I

talked to one of the guys that runs the place and he said they had Norfolk city council in there the night be for. If you can get the city to visit your club u must be doin good. :lol:

dance music, etc. Yes there is a dress code which is not mentioned on their website (which is pretty stupid). You can't where jeans but other than that it seems that casual nice attire is fine. Can't really say for sure though until they post an official dress code. I

talked to one of the guys that runs the place and he said they had Norfolk city council in there the night be for. If you can get the city to visit your club u mus be doin good. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the city is trying to see what kind of clubs are coming to dt and to make sure its a little high end to appease the rich people that are moving dt.

While it has been quiet in the Va forum today I can't say the same for the board. We have 475 users online right now and we just hit a new high of 523 earlier in the day. That is more than double what our previous high was (272). I wonder what the heck is going on?

vdogg, why are my postings on Richmond page not being correctly dated and timed?  I sent an e-mail on the Help line about this but have not received a reply as of yet.  You can check my last Richmond off-topic posting to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks, and please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like everything should be fixed now Burt :thumbsup: .

vdogg, why are my postings on Richmond page not being correctly dated and timed? I sent an e-mail on the Help line about this but have not received a reply as of yet. You can check my last Richmond off-topic posting to see what I'm talking about.

vdogg, why are my postings on Richmond page not being correctly dated and timed?  I sent an e-mail on the Help line about this but have not received a reply as of yet.  You can check my last Richmond off-topic posting to see what I'm talking about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check the time date settings in your profile and make sure that they are set up for the eastern time zone. If not, then it will display incorrect times/dates for your post as well as others.

Thanks vdogg.  My postings still do not reflect DSTime, but I guess that's something I'll have to adjust on my profile. :rolleyes:It's really 11:41AM.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats funny. When i look at the time on your post it is accurate so you probably do need to adjust your profile settings. The glitch itself has been fixed though.

39 Virginia Beach Virginia- 439,467---- 14,210

72 Norfolk Virginia- 241,727---- 7,324

88 Chesapeake Virginia- 210,834---- 11,650

105 Richmond Virginia- 194,729---- (-)3,061

116 Newport News Virginia- 181,647---- 1,497

150 Hampton Virginia- 146,878---- 441

173 Alexandria Virginia- 128,923----- 640

Listing of Virginia's cities among America's Top-200. The first column is the rank, nationally, the two other columns represent total population (2004 est.) and growth since 2000.

I thought the Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and in particular Norfolk numbers are interesting :silly: I wonder how the Norfolk numbers will continue to change over the next 5-10 years.

Edited by PeninsulaKiddo

39 Virginia Beach Virginia- 439,467---- 14,210

72 Norfolk  Virginia-  241,727---- 7,324

88 Chesapeake Virginia-  210,834---- 11,650

105 Richmond  Virginia-  194,729---- (-)3,061

116 Newport News Virginia- 181,647---- 1,497

150 Hampton  Virginia-  146,878---- 441

173 Alexandria Virginia-  128,923----- 640

Listing of Virginia's cities among America's Top-200.  The first column is the rank, nationally, the two other columns represent total population (2004 est.) and growth since 2000.

I thought the Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and in particular Norfolk numbers are interesting  :silly:  I wonder how the Norfolk numbers will continue to change over the next 5-10 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, Chesapeake is still exploding! I sure hope Norfolk continues this growth. Even faster would be nice...

Interesting facts. I was thinking though the peninsula cities were growing at a faster rate but I guess not. Also, I wonder how many of these people coming in are military. It is hard to keep up with populations b/c military people are moving in and out all the time.

Wow, Chesapeake is still exploding! I sure hope Norfolk continues this growth. Even faster would be nice...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you think about it... Norfolk's growth is quite astounding. Last decade (90 census-2000) the city lost over 10% of its population and now, within four or five years, its recouped about 1/4 of what it lost and the growth is accelerating :) 1500-2000 units under development, planning, or construction in Norfolk right now (including Granby and the ones we've discussed on here). If you add more to those, by 2012 or so it'll be growing tremendously--even more-so than it is now.

"Interesting facts. I was thinking though the peninsula cities were growing at a faster rate but I guess not...."

Most of the growth on the peninsula has shifted to York County and James City County---2 of the state's fastest-growing counties.

Edited by PeninsulaKiddo

Mayor Wilder does not agree with the population estimate listed above for Richmond.  He says it is now slightly over 200,000 and growing fast. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Weldon-Cooper estimates are the numbers I put up---if the mayor is including any cities/areas that have consolodated with Richmond in the last year that could cover the discrepancy. Also, this is from over a year ago (beginning of 2004) so Richmond could very well have made a turnaround. But going "well over 200,000" may be a stretch---it was 195,000 as of the 2000 census and continuing to shrink, but I do know that its suburbs and metro population are growing quite healthily.

Hi PeninsulaKiddo.  If I knew how to do it, I would copy and paste the info from Mr. Wilder here.  But if you will  go to Richmond Off Topic, page 5, and look for the entry from wrldcoupe4 dated May 30th, you'll see what Wilder said about Richmond's dramatic population turn-around.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll take your word for it and check it out when my computer stops being a $&*#@*# lol. That's really good news for the city---I thought with all its developments in the housing market it would start a major turnaround sometime soon.