Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Yeah the way money is wasted by various government entities is really scandalous... and then you have to consider how it gets skimmed off from place to place before actually coming back to the those ground level municipal workers who are the ones who light up our lightbulbs and plan our highways (COUGH) ... and a few million is usually lost there.

PeninsulaKiddo, you may be tired of people beotching about taxes but I'm tired of people telling me to stop beotching about them when I'm a poor motherf*cker trying to get through school without accruing a house-sized debt. All the while, I'm getting taxed up my ass and sometimes when you're sitting on I-64 E on near Coliseum Central you wonder where the hell all your damn money went to. An outstanding example, to be sure, but hardly uncommon.

Most of Virginia's financial problems can be largely attributed to malappropriation and doofus administration - not to mention a frighteningly inept and bloated bureaucracy out of Richmond.

I understand the need for taxes ... just not the need for the seemingly commensurate corruption and inefficiency that seems to come with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can definitely understand the grievance ( I just misspelled that...) and I see your point. I guess it more-so bothers me when NIMBYs (particularly the rich suburbanites who have no idea what they're talking about) complain about it and ask for more, more, more. It just gets to me probably because I live with 2 and am constantly surrounded by them in my neighborhood. lol.

As far as Virginia misspending tax dollars... it's a given. And unfortunately I don't think it's an unique facet of Virginia politics, which means that we're stuck with it no matter where we live... which sucks lol. <_<

This is waaayyy off topic but is it just me or is everyones posts getting longer?I've noticed this trend recently in my perusing of the Va. forums. What used to be 2 or 3 sentence responses have now morphed into a masters thesis :lol: . It's good to see though, means we've got some thinkers out there. :)

Edited by vdogg

This is waaayyy off topic but is it just me or is everyones posts getting longer?I've noticed this trend recently in my perusing of thread. What used to be 2 or 3 sentence responses have now morphed into a masters thesis :lol: . It's good to see though, means we've got some thinkers out there. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, I'd noticed too. I guess as more and more projects have been popping up around here lately, more and more has to be said. :P

Can someone please tell me when Taco bell food became so damn delicious???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You kids need Baja Fresh to make its way down 64. Between La Salsa, Wahoo's, Baja Fresh, Rubio's, and Del Taco (Taco Bell's beotch child), I think I've eaten at the Bell only once in the past year. Then again, a Baja Beef Gordita does sound good right now.

Edited by hoobo

You kids need Baja Fresh to make its way down 64.  Between La Salsa, Wahoo's, Baja Fresh, Rubio's, and Del Taco (Taco Bell's beotch child), I think I've eaten at the Bell only once in the past year.  Then again, a Baja Beef Gordita does sound good right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Baja Fresh is nice, but have any Chipotle's shown up in HR yet?

With the way they've exploded all over NoVA would be surprised if they

weren't in HR already. But can't say I've seen any last few times I was down.

Mmm, that's what I need for lunch, a burrito as big as my head.

weren't in HR already.  But can't say I've seen any last few times I was down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After reading their menu, I think I'll have to try them out. But I may be a little biased. Back in Cville, there's this place called Zazu's. They have these great burrito-type sandwiches like Thai Chicken, Fajita, and Mediterranean. Stuff is so good. And they also have pretty good smoothies. All right, time for lunch.

You kids need Baja Fresh to make its way down 64.  Between La Salsa, Wahoo's, Baja Fresh, Rubio's, and Del Taco (Taco Bell's beotch child), I think I've eaten at the Bell only once in the past year.  Then again, a Baja Beef Gordita does sound good right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Baja Fresh is good, better than Qdoba at least. Del Taco out on the west coast is good too. Gotta use the Del Scorcho hot sauce! Ever go to El Pollo Loco? Trrrrashy!!

weren't in HR already.  But can't say I've seen any last few times I was down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never seen a Chipotle's outside the DC area.

Baja Fresh is good, better than Qdoba at least.  Del Taco out on the west coast is good too.  Gotta use the Del Scorcho hot sauce!  Ever go to El Pollo Loco?  Trrrrashy!!

I've never seen a Chipotle's outside the DC area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Moe's Southwest Grill has locations in Hampton Roads and Richmond. Chipotle has not arrived in HR, but does have a presence in Richmond. Baja Fresh has not yet arrived in HR or Richmond. All three, of course, have locations in NOVA.

Moe's Southwest Grill has locations in Hampton Roads and Richmond.  Chipotle has not arrived in HR, but does have a presence in Richmond.  Baja Fresh has not yet arrived in HR or Richmond.  All three, of course, have locations in NOVA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Baja Fresh's website claims they have an outlet in Short Pump.

Best Places to Live 2005...what a joke!

Atlanta and Charlotte were contenders but VB, Chesapeake, and Norfolk weren't. If Santa Monica, Newport, Manhattan Beach, Irvine, and San Diego are contenders, you'd think similar places on the East Coast (i.e. HR cities) would be on there. In fact, Money mag claims there're only 3 movie theaters within a 15 mile radius of VB. huh? Even better, Norfolk only has 2 movie theaters. That's actual theaters, not cineplexes. Even funnier, air quality in Newport Beach, where I live, is worse than an inland city according to Money. That would be false.

Best Places to Live 2005...what a joke!

Atlanta and Charlotte were contenders but VB, Chesapeake, and Norfolk weren't.  If Santa Monica, Newport, Manhattan Beach, Irvine, and San Diego are contenders, you'd think similar places on the East Coast (i.e. HR cities) would be on there.  In fact, Money mag claims there're only 3 movie theaters within a 15 mile radius of VB.  huh?  Even better, Norfolk only has 2 movie theaters.  That's actual theaters, not cineplexes.  Even funnier, air quality in Newport Beach, where I live, is worse than an inland city according to Money.  That would be false.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You will never see anyone give us any good credit because people are very biased against this area.

Not entirely true.  As I said earlier, York County (Yorktown) was number 33 on the list.  But I still think that VB in particular should've been at least a contender.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We will always be considered an underdog in everything. I've seen a big hatred for this place by people and can't understand why.

We will always be considered an underdog in everything. I've seen a big hatred for this place by people and can't understand why.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As have I... I think some still consider us to be a backwards, uber-southern collection of small towns. If I say "our regional popluation is about 1.6-1.7 million" people insist I'm lying. It's a little frustrating... <_<

Part of me understands why York County would potentially be the only place that pops up on that list from HR, but part of me is wondering "WTF?" The facts they quoted about York Co. were pretty inaccurate, so I'm guessing what they thought of VB, Norfolk, and others was rather inaccurate as well....

As have I... I think some still consider us to be a backwards, uber-southern collection of small towns.  If I say "our regional popluation is about 1.6-1.7 million" people insist I'm lying.  It's a little frustrating...  <_<

Part of me understands why York County would potentially be the only place that pops up on that list from HR, but part of me is wondering "WTF?"  The facts they quoted about York Co. were pretty inaccurate, so I'm guessing what they thought of VB, Norfolk, and others was rather inaccurate as well....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People think this area is farm land. I don't understand where this stereotype came from

People think this area is farm land. I don't understand where this stereotype came from

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, you don't see the farmland along Jefferson Avenue? Or along Brambleton? :rofl: That's why I try to spread word of HR around the other threads on here in the general section. I think we've been pretty shut out of the media as well on a national level... though I have to admit when they show Virginia Beach on The Weather Channel I get excited about it hahaha.

Oh, you don't see the farmland along Jefferson Avenue?  Or along Brambleton?  :rofl:  That's why I try to spread word of HR around the other threads on here in the general section.  I think we've been pretty shut out of the media as well on a national level... though I have to admit when they show Virginia Beach on The Weather Channel I get excited about it hahaha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When the sniper trials were being aired all they said that the trial was in Virginia and it seemed like it would have killed them to say Virginia Beach or Chesapeake!

When the sniper trials were being aired all they said that the trial was in Virginia and it seemed like it would have killed them to say Virginia Beach or Chesapeake!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought I was the only one that thought that lol! It's crazy!! It'd take the city of Norfolk suddenly sinking into the Elizabeth River for us to get any attention!

Although the Regis and Kelly bit was pretty sweet :) they made Norfolk look GOOOOOOOD.