Vanderbilt University Tower and West End Dorms, 20 stories/6 stories, 340 units

markhollin

Would have been nice if they did a whole row of those 20 story towers-they should do it perhaps and then they could get rid of Branscombe Quad and replace it with a below grade parking garage and a nicely done classroom building above.

Vanderbilt really needs some below grade parking on its campus otherwise they will continue to chew up more property in that area in the name of parking.

• Like 1

I won't be surprised if Vandy puts more structured parking in 1-2 parcels between West End and Natchez Trace, near the stadium.  But at the moment Vandy's problem for games is not a parking shortage.  I know they want to expand on campus residences and increase their enrollment by about 15-20% over the next 15 years.  I think their athletics facilities upgrade will be key to what they do for parking. I like what they did to Kensington and Vanderbilt Place, but that whole configuration and the loss of the parking lots next to Carmichael Towers and the streets eliminated about 300 parking spaces.  Parking between Natchez Trace and Wedgewood/31st Avenue will be replaced by more residential buildings and IM athletics fields. The parking there will have to go somewhere and that will be in parking structures. Vandy now owns the Wendy's, Holiday Inn and other large parcels with buildings along West End.  I think in about 6-8 years they will come up with a "West Campus" plan that will address parking and future residential. I won't be surprised if there's some mixed-use commercial space included. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slide show on the Nashville Business Journal site of the new completed dorm building and tower.  We've all seen the outside and (most) are impressed by the old-world architectural detail, but the shots of the interior are stunning.  As a grad who thinks it's ostentatious and even extravagant in light of the cost to attend VU now, I can't deny these buildings are beautiful and will be an asset to be enjoyed by the community long after the sticker shock wears off. I hope to take a tour of these buildings at some point soon. 

I don't think you need a subscription. Someone here much more adept at posting photos from slide shows may be able to post all 30. Here's the link...  https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/01/03/zeppos-college-write-up.html

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...