• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Vanderbilt website has this listed for completion in July 2024,  but it seems like this will be on track to be completed a good bit before that?  I guess the academic year heavily impacts when a dormitory actually comes online,  and certainly this won't be done this July.....

Can you tell if they’re building the ‘bridge over 24th Ave. (or what remains of it) as a driveway into the center court of this complex?  I recall seeing one in renderings, as well as a tower-like part of this building…. Not nearly as tall as the main tower. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I love the Vandy tower. I think it's one of the best things Nashville has ever gotten architecturally speaking, and I'm sure it'll go down as one of the best pieces of Collegiate Gothic architecture of the last 100 years. That being said, a dorm seems like a ill-considered use of the building. Without having ever seen proposed floor plans, it just seems like it's going to be much harder to efficiently use the space than, say, a building that was twice as wide and half as tall, more like a traditional dorm layout. Are they going to play it off as luxury dorms and charge students a premium to live there (which I have pretty major moral qualms about, considering that it will create a tiered system of treatment of undergraduates and athletics already seems to have done enough of that....but I digress)? This seems like it's much more useful as a space for, say, academic and administrative offices than student housing.

Am I missing something, or just am way off base in my perception of the layout of the building?

20 hours ago, etimer13 said:

From an article last year:

"First, Grummon relayed some basic stats: the West End tower is 20 stories. The lower five floors house student rooms during the school year as part of Zeppos residential college. The middle portion is housing for visiting faculty or guests of the university. The upper floors are used for conferences."

Okay, that makes a LOT more sense! I was under the mistaken impression that it was entirely residential.

On 5/16/2023 at 1:09 PM, Nathan_in_DC said:

So, I love the Vandy tower. I think it's one of the best things Nashville has ever gotten architecturally speaking, and I'm sure it'll go down as one of the best pieces of Collegiate Gothic architecture of the last 100 years. That being said, a dorm seems like a ill-considered use of the building. Without having ever seen proposed floor plans, it just seems like it's going to be much harder to efficiently use the space than, say, a building that was twice as wide and half as tall, more like a traditional dorm layout. Are they going to play it off as luxury dorms and charge students a premium to live there (which I have pretty major moral qualms about, considering that it will create a tiered system of treatment of undergraduates and athletics already seems to have done enough of that....but I digress)? This seems like it's much more useful as a space for, say, academic and administrative offices than student housing.

Am I missing something, or just am way off base in my perception of the layout of the building?

The Vanderbilt campus is HUGE and their endowment is billions and billions.  There is no need to even think about needing these for offices and academics.  Their building program is robust and they have lots of land left to develop from the acquisition  by emement domain over 30 years ago.  Nuked a whole neighborhood they essentially stole.  When you charge $50,000 plus for students to go go there, they expect more than a simple dorm room.  Times have changed since the firm I worked for designed the four abominations with cell like rooms that were demolished for these new ones.  The Edward Stone dorms also demolished were no great shakes either regardless of his national reputation.  Don't worry about Vanderbilt.  I do wish however that vanderbilt would consider some buildings like going up over aat belmont.  That campus is on fire!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...