Just Wow

spenser1058

25 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

What a crock. No mainstream Democratic leader has uttered the phrase “defund the police.” What some have said is that maybe, just maybe, police should be held accountable to the rule of law and perhaps shouldn’t kill people, primarily people of color, without any accountability whatsoever. 

There is definitely room for police reform. Two ideas I support is requiring all law enforcement officers to carry liability insurance so taxpayers aren’t the ones who foot the bill when they get sued. Also, possibly having a national registry for bad cops.

1 minute ago, FLClarkKent said:

Then you should know, and do, better.

Get over yourself. So because I’m not a Republican I can’t criticize Democrats? I’m not a Democrat either. Both sides have their share of morons. I’m an independent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FLClarkKent said:

What a crock. No mainstream Democratic leader has uttered the phrase “defund the police.” What some have said is that maybe, just maybe, police should be held accountable to the rule of law and perhaps shouldn’t kill people, primarily people of color, without any accountability whatsoever. 

Some in the progressive lunatic wing of the party did....

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/560122-liberals-tone-down-calls-to-defund-police-amid-gop-attacks/

And because others who are associated with the Democrats were loudly calling for it, it's only natural and to be expected that the entire party would get painted with the same brush.

On 5/7/2023 at 5:40 PM, orange87 said:

Another pillar of the Democrats "criminal justice reform" appears to be crumbling. Just like the Democrats dropped defunding the police like a hot potato after massive public backlash, they are (at least in New York) beginning to undo "bail reform" after disastrous results. It's astoundingly racist how the Democrats equate being weak on crime to being pro-black.

I got what you meant about being pro black equalling bail reform.   But that's not why they do or did it.

I've been in NYC this week and I talked to a lot of people on the street. Things have gotten better between Central Park and The Battery.  The subway fiascos were upper east side aka Harlem, and other non central routes.

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I got what you meant about being pro black equalling bail reform.   But that's not why they do or did it.

I've been in NYC this week and I talked to a lot of people on the street. Things have gotten better between Central Park and The Battery.  The subway fiascos were upper east side aka Harlem, and other non central routes.

Bail reform was more of a prosecutor/judge problem. Not the law itself. 

2 hours ago, jack said:

Bail reform was more of a prosecutor/judge problem. Not the law itself. 

Among other things, I'm thinking it was a way to make more money for the judicial system.  Arrest a recidivist ("habitual criminal offender" as Elwood Blues would say), she posts bail, and ends up right back in there posting yet another bail amount faster than if they didn't do a catch and release.  

we were involved with a work release for a multi-decade inmate and based on what he told us, coupled with what I had heard from a few other sources prior, whatever situation they depicted in Dukes of Hazzard ala Boss Hogg, and those Charlie's Angels episodes where the Angels go undercover to free Kim Bassinger from a corrupt warden, and in a couple episodes of The Rockford Files where that one small town has a racket going on, where Jim and Rocky finally get the ear of a judge and exposes the corrupt sheriff @JFW657probably remembers the episode...there is a thing where judges are investors in prisons, and the 'heads in beds' thing is real, where work releases get revoked for no good reason, and those same judges are the ones some of these 'criminals' have to appear before.  So...yeah...in so many related ways...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, angela1117 said:

who is this?

My dear (if I can call you that), let me introduce you to the baddest metal front man in history, Mr. Rob Halford of Judas Priest. 

What made him special was that in an era of machismo among the heterosexuals who would listen to Hard Rock, Classic Rock, and Heavy Metal to be cool and keep from getting their asses kicked in school for listening to dance or disco music, because those types of music were perceived to be gay or cater to the gay crowd, it turned out that he, Halford, was himself gay.  WTF?  He broke the mold on 'cool.'

Everyone focuses on Freddy Mercury, but Priest is and was a great band and Halford's vocals were very dynamic. He was a screamer.  He was an innovator.  His look was nothing more than an S&M biker in leather and studs.  He would whip fans and throw them a t-shirt that said "I got whipped by Rob Halford."

These guys did speed metal, and really great pop songs.  Truly amazing.  Halford was one of the most respected metal artists, and was one of the featured vocalists on Dio's (Ronnie James Dio) 1983-84 "We're Stars" tribute during that Live Aid era when We Are The World came out.

Anyway, he's a total idol.  Yeah, I love Frank and Dino too, and a wide spectrum of other artists great at what they do, but he is da shizznit...

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_6fcbc442-1e0b-11e8-95c3-8b5a448e6e58.jpg

dollyjudaspriest.990x660.jpg

judas-priest-live-1984.jpg

34 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Thanks, I'm not much of a metal fan.  I recognize that sometimes you just need a good scream though.

Great photo with Dolly.

Same here. 

Never saw the appeal.

For a few years, back in the mid-late 80's, I was pretty good friends with this local, Seminole County kid who was the lead "singer",  in this video.

BY the time he did this, we weren't hanging around together much anymore.

Don't know who the guy in the chair watching TV was.

The kid singing lives in Colorado now

Works for some computer software company and builds acoustic guitars on the side.  

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Same here. 

Never saw the appeal.

For a few years, back in the mid-late 80's, I was pretty good friends with this local, Seminole County kid who was the lead "singer",  in this video.

BY the time he did this, we weren't hanging around together much anymore.

Don't know who the guy in the chair watching TV was.

The kid singing lives in Colorado now

Works for some computer software company and builds acoustic guitars on the side.  

Wow.  That is really cool that you knew him.

This guy was obviously inspired by Dave Mustain and Megadeth (the Peace Sells video), and Carpenter's They Live movie...pretty cool.

I used to listen to death rock, if you will.  I get it.  But it will rot your brain if you listen to it too much.  

As with all music, you have to have a rhythmic beat that works.  Speed metal just for the sake of being fast don't work.  Gene Simmons really hammered that point across back when KISS was trying to replace Ace Frehley.  

I can appreciate the message of this song and They Live...

By contrast, Judas Priest (the music) is so different than the band's "look" and the style of their logo.  They're really just a hard rock band and sometimes not really that hard even though they perfected the dual guitar attack with KK and Glen.  And I only listen to Priest in small doses anyway; but it's the icon front man in Halford that I find so cool for all those reasons in my above posts. 

Here's probably the slowest-beat/ tempo song that Priest did a video to that circulated on MTV or British MTV back in the early '80's; not a big hit like Breaking The Law, but cool in its own right:

Wow. That is really cool that you knew him.

This guy was obviously inspired by Dave Mustain and Megadeth (the Peace Sells video), and Carpenter's They Live movie...pretty cool.

Yep. Metallica obviously, but Megadeth was his main favorite band.

He was at a concert where he had won a backstage pass and they let him come on stage and do a song. 

Something like that. 

Anyway, they produced a CD then I guess they split up afterward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yep. Metallica obviously, but Megadeth was his main favorite band.

He was at a concert where he had won a backstage pass and they let him come on stage and do a song. 

Something like that. 

Anyway, they produced a CD then I guess they split up afterward. 

So you know who those bands are.  Whoa.  Your cool factor just went up a notch (maybe two notches), LOL.

Yeah, I gravitated to Megadeth simply b/c of their attitude and take on current events, which was interesting, comical, etc.  

it's so funny, all these genres.  At the end of the day it's like you listen to whatever your mood is at that moment.  What's funny is I rarely hear anything "new" that measures up to what was laid down back then.  Millennials for the most part don't know jack about  great music from those eras unless they see it on something like High School Musical or from that generation.  I've tried to indoctrinate interns before that would look at me like a dear in the headlights when I showed them  a video from Billy Idol or Parliament or even NWA.  I'm like...really?  What do they teach you in those darn schools you go to?

When I was in high school, one of our professors made a deal with us:  so long as we read the assignments, he would let us come in late after lunch period, talk to us about Acid Rock, The Beatles, Woodstock, etc., and let us draw on the board.  Dude also "hosted" students at his place much like Donald Sutherland did in Animal House a couple of times...

Now, that's education.

56 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So you know who those bands are.  Whoa.  Your cool factor just went up a notch (maybe two notches), LOL.

Yeah, I gravitated to Megadeth simply b/c of their attitude and take on current events, which was interesting, comical, etc.  

it's so funny, all these genres.  At the end of the day it's like you listen to whatever your mood is at that moment.  What's funny is I rarely hear anything "new" that measures up to what was laid down back then.  Millennials for the most part don't know jack about  great music from those eras unless they see it on something like High School Musical or from that generation.  I've tried to indoctrinate interns before that would look at me like a dear in the headlights when I showed them  a video from Billy Idol or Parliament or even NWA.  I'm like...really?  What do they teach you in those darn schools you go to?

When I was in high school, one of our professors made a deal with us:  so long as we read the assignments, he would let us come in late after lunch period, talk to us about Acid Rock, The Beatles, Woodstock, etc., and let us draw on the board.  Dude also "hosted" students at his place much like Donald Sutherland did in Animal House a couple of times...

Now, that's education.

I'm really only interested in 60's, 70's and 80's music, though the genre varies. Mostly rock though.

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers are the best AFAIC. 

Allman Brothers are what I grew up on.

Anyway, here's some more stuff about my friend Brian's band 'Azrael'.

BTW,  the origin of the name Azrael is the angel of death in Jewish and Islamic thought who watches over the dying and separates the soul from the body.

How "metal"....  :rolleyes:

1796993-647486098622266-126447197-o.jpg

1277281-647486671955542-1414736303-o.jpg

1980415-682075825163293-4382721865543715

1294261-652828158088060-402915482-o.jpg

1620944-634536976583845-478192726-n.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Guess they never really caught fire in such a crowded field.

Back then as I recall, local metal bands were a dime a dozen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm really only interested in 60's, 70's and 80's music, though the genre varies. Mostly rock though.

BTW,  the origin of the name Azrael is the angel of death in Jewish and Islamic thought who watches over the dying and separates the soul from the body.

s-l1600.jpg

Holy hillside, that is very metal.  That's about as apocalyptic as it gets- the Angel of Death.

Those are awesome ads. Budweiser...LOL...  It's cool that you have those.  It's cool to know someone that was trying to make it in that industry.

Well, Tom Petty and the Allman Brothers are tops.

It's like a sine wave for me.  Sometimes its like Acid Rock, Blues, Glitter Rock, Classic Rock, '80's Hair Metal, I have playlists for a lot of that. That era- those eras are choc full of great music. 

I can't get over that you know who Megadeth is.  I mean just look at this brilliant album cover; and look at the attitude on Dave Mustain's face.  It's almost comical.  What's there not to like?

1063734-1_87305_999x1000.webp

megadeth-d-163340-3-cd.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

s-l1600.jpg

I never knew that speed metal was a thing!

That video was intense!

Edited by angela1117
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Wuddaya think about this cat?

licensed-image.jpeg

I grew up in NJ. His picture was on the wall in Aunt Angel's kitchen for as long as I can remember. I'm all over the place with what I listen to.

The first concert I went to was of course Bruce Springsteen (1974).

We went to lots of concerts at Princeton U and Trenton State College (I think it's the Unversity of NJ now?) and the Trenton War Memorial and saw Bonnie Raitt, John Prine, Hot Tuna, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Phoebe Snow, Jackson Browne, Leo Sayer, The Incredible Alexander Harvey Band (not so incredible....the drummer was throwing up on stage as they played), T Rex, Loudon Wainwright lll, Janis Ian, Randy Newman, Leon Redbone, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes....good times and never spent more than 7.50 for a ticket LOL

And, yes, I have a soft spot for Frank. My dad's name was Vito, how could I not? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

I grew up in NJ. His picture was on the wall in Aunt Angel's kitchen for as long as I can remember. I'm all over the place with what I listen to.

The first concert I went to was of course Bruce Springsteen (1974).

We went to lots of concerts at Princeton U and Trenton State College (I think it's the Unversity of NJ now?) and the Trenton War Memorial and saw Bonnie Raitt, John Prine, Hot Tuna, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Phoebe Snow, Jackson Browne, Leo Sayer, The Incredible Alexander Harvey Band (not so incredible....the drummer was throwing up on stage as they played), T Rex, Loudon Wainwright lll, Janis Ian, Randy Newman, Leon Redbone, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes....good times and never spent more than 7.50 for a ticket LOL

And, yes, I have a soft spot for Frank. My dad's name was Vito, how could I not? 

That's so weird that you'd mention that relatively obscure band. Why? Because just two, maybe three days ago at the most, earlier this week, that band's name just popped into my head for some unexplainable reason. So weird!!! :blink: 

Might've been when I was out riding my electric scooter I just bought recently.  

I love John Prime, BTW. Wish I'd seen him.  

And Ol' Blue Eyes, too!!!! 

15 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

That's so weird that you'd mention that relatively obscure band. Why? Because just two, maybe three days ago at the most, earlier this week, that band's name just popped into my head for some unexplainable reason. So weird!!! :blink: 

Might've been when I was out riding my electric scooter I just bought recently.  

I love John Prime, BTW. Wish I'd seen him.  

And Ol' Blue Eyes, too!!!! 

New Riders were huge in our group back then! What an interesting cosmic connection that they came up in your life this week.

John Prine opened for Bonnie Raitt and joined her at the end of her set for Angel from Montgomery.....sigh.....so good!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

New Riders were huge in our group back then! What an interesting cosmic connection that they came up in your life this week.

John Prine opened for Bonnie Raitt and joined her at the end of her set for Angel from Montgomery.....sigh.....so good!

Yeah, those kinds of coinky-dinks happen from time to time. 

Especially with band names and songs. 

Angel From Montgomery might be John Prine's song, but Bonnie Raitt OWNS it. 

Nobody can do it like she does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Have you ever heard Joe Piscopo of early 80's SNL fame do his spot on Sinatra doing rock-n-roll?

Ya ain't talkin' to a Millennial.. of course I know who Joe Piscopo is, LOL. " It shoots through  schools."  Never saw this. Just brilliant. Belzer intro was awesome.  Liza in the audience...

• Like 1