Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I have a (recurring) question for Sir Smeagolsopolous! OK.. sorry for that, but it's a weird afternoon.  Anyway, to the question... do you think developers in Nashville initiailly "overask" with their proposals with every intention of scaling down after the expected resistance? In effect, are they testing what they might get away with, or do they actually wish to build the bigger (usually) projects they first propose?  I get your point that the DT codes will be (should be) changed in response to what's been happening in that area, and it seems this is just an ongoing game between developers and Metro. 

Several posters here actually talk with developers regularly and I wonder what the thinking is. I go back to what I've said a number of times in situations like this: If developers showed those in opposition to their grand plans what they would be able to build without any zoning changes (say, an enormous big chunk of a building of 200' that would block views from all around it) would that persuade many in opposition to take the better bargain. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that the initial plans with the three towers and the open space between them would have given the people in City Lights a better range of views and more sunset light than what could be built there already by rights.  If I had a view unit in CL facing west, I'd much prefer to have the views of several different buidings with some sunlight between them than a huge wall of windows directly across the street. No?  What am I not getting in this game? 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 10:37 AM, Brit_in_Gtown said:

I own a couple of those types of drills. The drilling on site right now is almost certainly for blasting. The pattern spacing I saw looks to be for mass excavation, maybe for below grade parking or stormwater retention. 

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the insight! I can certainly feel the Neuhoff blasting shake my complex intermittently. I guess I’ll have this one to look forward to next…

• Like 1

The  thing is you have to trick the neighbors into liking what you have to offer and educating them. It starts with the Council person. The thing they hate most are the STR’s. If they think that STR’s are involved number one you have lost, but one of the big issue you are facing when you have alleys is front loading garages. You are probably not going to get the waiver. I am not sure where you were trying to get he waiver but I would bet somewhere in E Nashville where front loaders are nasty words depending on the district. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Brit_in_Gtown said:

Glencliff area. I wanted rear load in the SP. Specifically no STRP. It got to a point where the community including people who literally lived 12 miles away were getting involved, So I said F it. After I decided that, they were like, oh can you do your original concept plan. I said. Nope. That ship has sailed. 

You have to do the neighborhood meetings and keep the folks that are not in that hood out. It’s Got to be a close working relationship with the council person to get it done. Sorry you had the problem. Better luck on future projects!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

You have to do the neighborhood meetings and keep the folks that are not in that hood out. It’s Got to be a close working relationship with the council person to get it done. Sorry you had the problem. Better luck on future projects!

You hit the nail on the head - the council person went AWOL. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Height & density wise, Church, but When It’s all said and done the Broadway/West End corridor I think will be the most impressive as far as the overall length.

It’s too bad Church Street west of the interstate is such a mess. The Elliston Place -> Church Street corridor from West End to the river could really be something special. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Height & density wise, Church, but When It’s all said and done the Broadway/West End corridor I think will be the most impressive as far as the overall length.

I agree

38 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

It’s too bad Church Street west of the interstate is such a mess. The Elliston Place -> Church Street corridor from West End to the river could really be something special. 

Maybe once from the river to I-40 is built out, more highrise development will take off from the interstate to West End. I agree it could be special!

• Like 2

I agree with everyone. Church is about to be it's on city within the city though with Nashville Yards, the Tony towers, and what is already there with 505 etc. 

1 hour ago, Urbanman said:

At the rate Nashville is going, I think it’s quite possible, in the next 10-15 years, that it will have the best urban core in the south. Maybe not the tallest but the most expansive. I’m I too far fetched in this thinking? Thoughts?

I definitely think in terms of the liveliness, engagement, and shear amount of things to do all around the core, it will be the best.

Atlanta, IMO, will stay the most expansive considering it is continuing to grow as well, and areas like West Midtown, Old Fourth Ward, and the other major urban pockets will eventually all bleed together with Downtown/Midtown/Buckhead once things are built out more, especially around the beltline.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Urbanman said:

At the rate Nashville is going, I think it’s quite possible, in the next 10-15 years, that it will have the best urban core in the south. Maybe not the tallest but the most expansive. I’m I too far fetched in this thinking? Thoughts?

"Best urban core" is highly subjective and, as such, there is not "right or wrong."

Many folks would argue Nashville will never have an urban core that is as "quirky, building dense, distinctive and pedestrian vibrant" as that of New Orleans. Charlotte will, almost assuredly, continue to be "better" than Nashville in terms of very tall (300 feet or taller) contemporary towers with eye-catching caps and night lighting. Richmond's urban core is "better" if you like historic architecture. Miami is on an ocean and offers breathtaking visual with the water and soaring towers.

Now, IF you are using numbers (for example, the number of buildings 100 feet tall or taller), that's a way to "measure."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1