Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

On 6/5/2017 at 9:17 AM, markhollin said:

Texas family named (get this) Ewing willing to invest $500 million into big development bordering on Cumberland River with address along West Trinity Lane.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/06/05/meet-texas-tycoon-who-says-he-wants-invest-500-m-nashville/323438001/

Ewing development map along West Trinity Lane.png

When I read about this all I could think of is what I used to say should have been done a long time ago.  I grew up in Bordeaux and lived there as well after graduating college because I worked in Metro Center and it just made sense.  One thing so many people in that area wished they had was another bridge.  There was thought given to building a bridge that would have connected W. Trinity Lane to Metro Center.  The idea was to build the bridge at the intersection of Buena Vista Pike and W. Trinity Lane.  The other option would have been at Youngs Lane and W. Trinity Lane.

While I like the vision the Texas family has, they have to see that several businesses in Metro Center would have to be relocated to accommodate a new bridge.  Had this been done in the 90's this probably wouldn't have been a big deal because so much of Metro Center had not been developed.  Now a great majority of the Metro Center perimeter has been developed and unless a bridge is designed to go over the structures that are there, they will have to tear some buildings down and relocate businesses.

Now, I would love nothing more than to see Bordeaux see major development.  I question that the site they are speaking of is the place to start unless they plan to really invest in creating more than office and residential  development.  They've chosen land that is really one the low spot along W. Trinity Lane.  So, while you still will have views of the downtown skyline, you would get much better view points closer to west of W. Trinity Lane towards Clarksville Pike.  But, I'm not surprised that developers out of Dallas would not be shy about building high rises in a location that one may not expect to see such development.  Dallas has pockets of high rises well outside their downtown core.  However, this may be too much of stretch for Nashville.  I'd like to see them do something major in Metro Center itself or join the developer that is looking to develop the area along Cowan Street and I-24 into a major business, residential and entertainment area.  That might not help Bordeaux but it's probably more realistic.  Bordeaux would benefit right now from restructuring the Clarksville Hwy/Buena Vista Pike/South Hamilton area so that it allows for better utilization of land for both retail and residential development to include mid-rise to high rise residential buildings, shops and restaurants.  It could be restructured into the Bordeaux Town Center that would be a nice transition coming across the MLK Bridge into Bordeaux.

• Like 3

Two Nashville businessmen have big plans to boost the dining scene in Germantown with a restaurant, late-night watering hole and a bar built around a trolley car, all on the same property in the trendy neighborhood.

Brad Daniel and Ward Pace are working with restaurant industry veteran Brandwyd Allen as general manager to open Germantown Bar  the umbrella name for the three concepts  this summer at 1318 6th Ave. N. near Taylor Street.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/06/06/germantown-bar-bring-3-new-concepts-neighborhood/370510001/

• Like 4

16 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Could be worse... 2 floors of office and 2 acres of parking. 

How about 1 floor of offices and 2 acres of parking? :P

8 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

We build the Westin, Charlotte builds a new tower for BofA...We have got to step our design game up, compared to our peer cities now (Charlotte, Austin) we don't match up. It was good when it was Louisville, Memphis, Indy. 

IMG_6776.JPG

They're coming. Give it time.

In the mean time, Nashville should continue to focus on the impressive infill and canyonization that's occurring.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 3

It is Bank of America's newest tower in Charlotte, opening 2019. Granted when you have the kind of money they have the design will be better but still. Just pointing out if we hope to be in Austin/Charlotte territory eventually we need to build better. Not hating on Nashville, I love it here, having been here for 5 years. But every time I go back home to Charlotte I marvel how much further along their downtown is. 

Edited by wreynol4
  • Like 1

I would just love to see something in Nashville built with a distinctive crown.  Batman is cool.  JWM will look nice, but their "lipstick" design from the bottom up is what's really cool.  Crown on top of Pinnacle is better than no crown at all.  Would just love at least one similar to what Tony designed on Siggy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, e-dub said:

i'm not into that bank of america proposal at all.

Neither am I.  It looks very 1980's.  I'm also not that into downtown Charlotte in general.  They've got a lot of nice individual towers, and I'm obviously envious of their light rail, but aside from that, I'd take downtown Nashville seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Neither am I.  It looks very 1980's.  I'm also not that into downtown Charlotte in general.  They've got a lot of nice individual towers, and I'm obviously envious of their light rail, but aside from that, I'd take downtown Nashville seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

I gotta disagree. I would take those 1980s towers over these ghastly derivative 1960s/early '70s garbage (planter+shorty tower, a la Parkway Towers) that are going up here. So many are an architectural crime.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I gotta disagree. I would take those 1980s towers over these ghastly derivative 1960s/early '70s garbage (planter+shorty tower, a la Parkway Towers) that are going up here. So many are an architectural crime.

In terms of the buildings?  Short of a couple examples, and our small historic stock, yeah I agree, I'd take Charlotte's collection in a heartbeat. But in terms of what each downtown has to offer overall, I'd take Nashville's.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1