Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

2 minutes ago, Flatrock said:

I still have a beautiful rug, a sofa, and a down-filled comforter (and probably some other stuff) - purchased at Ikea in the Birmingham, England area when I lived there 20 years ago. Great quality. 

I agree that they have some good quality items. I just think they get a bad rap and many people think everything is cheap junk. It's not like a lot of furniture made here is of the best quality. I will admit though that my Eames lounge chair and ottoman are of excellent quality lol. 

Edited by TNinVB
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, TNinVB said:

The IKEA up the road in Woodbridge, Va. (south of D.C.) is like this. There is however some parking across the street at Potomac Mills. 

I was going to point that out as well.  That's where I purchased my cabinets and chest of drawers that I spoke of earlier.  I think most of the people park in the garage.  It's a chore to walk across to the Potomac parking lot, which was expanded for the Costco primarily.  The one in College Park, MD is all surface parking and the building itself is longer.  

I will admit I wish they would do a new design for their buildings so that they would fit better in urban environments.  But, I'm sure they fear losing their iconic look by doing so.  But, Target seems to have found a couple of ways to build out urban stores in which they don't lose their iconic image.  So, I'm sure it can be done.  Instead of doing a solid facade, they could incorporate more glass into their design, add some curves and alternate colors and finishes and they could it would fit in an urban core.  Hell if car dealerships can do it surely Ikea can.  However, let's keep in mind every urban core has an area that is more industrial like.  Even the current Ikea look would fit into such areas.  The Spring Street/Cowan Street/Jefferson Bridge area in Nashville wouldn't be negatively impacted by the current Ikea design.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I was going to point that out as well.  That's where I purchased my cabinets and chest of drawers that I spoke of earlier.  I think most of the people park in the garage.  It's a chore to walk across to the Potomac parking lot, which was expanded for the Costco primarily.  The one in College Park, MD is all surface parking and the building itself is longer.  

I will admit I wish they would do a new design for their buildings so that they would fit better in urban environments.  But, I'm sure they fear losing their iconic look by doing so.  But, Target seems to have found a couple of ways to build out urban stores in which they don't lose their iconic image.  So, I'm sure it can be done.  Instead of doing a solid facade, they could incorporate more glass into their design, add some curves and alternate colors and finishes and they could it would fit in an urban core.  Hell if car dealerships can do it surely Ikea can.  However, let's keep in mind every urban core has an area that is more industrial like.  Even the current Ikea look would fit into such areas.  The Spring Street/Cowan Street/Jefferson Bridge area in Nashville wouldn't be negatively impacted by the current Ikea design.

I agree with you on all your points. I went to the IKEA in the Conshohocken area of Philadelphia a couple of years ago and was surprised how it seems to be by itself amidst an abundance of industrial buildings and sites. It is not your typical IKEA location. At least not what I have seen around the world. 

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

Edited by TNinVB

The Nashville Post's take on the former Myers Carpet lot:

A visible Gulch property once home to the Myers Flooring building and business is for sale for $12 million, Nashville Business Journal reports.

At 1.3 acres, the empty property would sell for $225 for each square foot if the Myers family lands its asking price.

The site has an address of 645 Division St. and is located near the crest of the hill on which the under-construction Division Complete Street viaduct now traverses (an opening of the street, which will connect The Gulch to SoBro, is slated for August.)

Rick Myers has enlisted local real estate company Southeast Venture to handle the sales effort, with broker Lee White marketing the land as suitable for a hotel, office tower or apartment building, NBJ reports. A building of up to 16 stories can be constructed on the parcel, adjacent to which is another empty lot on which local real estate investor Travis Kelty is considering various development options.

Myers Flooring now operates on Sidco Drive in South Nashville.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

@LA_TN At one point in the 90s TDOT had performed a study that called for direct access ramps from there to I-65... for HOV only.

I thought that was proposed around/after 2000, but I don't remember exactly when that was. Personally, many many years ago I hoped for ramps to connect I-65 to 6th and 7th to get, at least, SOME traffic off the downtown loop

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 11:24 AM, PillowTalk4 said:

Walmart has a small store in DC as well.  I personally like the Target Stores that are located some of the urban areas.  Here's one that is also located in the DC area that has other retail and restaurants.  There's also a movie complex that's part of the overall complex.  This is located in Northern Virginia outside of DC.

590ca6f4dcb91_TargetMerrifield.PNG.3645d2338d04d0cd02112cebbee4ef1d.PNG590ca6f5b902f_TargetMerrifield2.PNG.55fec76d4a11bff7d48beb1e08e0303d.PNG

target merrifield - Google Search.html

Here's a pic of the Walmart in downtown DC. Also the Target in Columbia Heights is an interesting lesson in parking requirements/needs in a transit-rich area.... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/07/AR2009100703996.html

walmart_dc.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/10/2017 at 10:09 AM, PillowTalk4 said:

It'd be nice if IKEA would build urban stores that were more showroom - less warehouse. Set it up such that customers could test out furniture in the showroom and then have it delivered to residences from a suburban warehouse. They could still stock smaller things in store.

• Like 1

Here is my thoughts of IKEA and an urban store in Nashville. It won't happen. The likely scenario is a suburban store with surface parking and my guess would be on the I-65 south corridor or I-24 corridor eastbound towards Chattanooga. All their recent stores have been suburban in nature the newly announced Arlington TX store outside of Dallas, the new San Antonio store, the new Jacksonville FL store, the new Norfolk store. They do very few of these stores with underground parking unless it is absolutely necessary. They did that in Atlanta but not in the Charlotte store which is right along I-85. These IKEA stores draw from huge areas and interstate access is very important to IKEA as of late. Our Charlotte store is packed on weekends with people from both Carolinas and even southern VA. Weekdays it is much more calm and much more local shoppers. Nashville should get an IKEA store no doubt maybe in unused big box store location if it is big enough land. I was surprised Memphis got a store before Nashville but that store is probably the only one for Arkansas, Mississippi and west TN. Your IKEA store when you get one will serve the rest of TN, most of Kentucky and northern and central Alabama. As someone mentioned they should do more showrooms and have the stuff delivered from outside the city but their model is you see it, pick it up and carry it out, On weekends in Charlotte you see lots of pick up trucks and U-Hauls carrying their purchases away. Like Nashville Charlotte has many of these small new apartments where you need small furniture or space saving items to make them function better. 

• Like 3

Moxy Hotel (5 stories, 161 rooms), the boutique that is a conversion of an old storage warehouse that faces both Broadway and 3rd Ave. South, has changed contractors.  Now scheduled for an early 2018 opening.  Article in currently behind the paywall:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20861977/opening-rescheduled-for-sobro-boutique-hotel

New render of entrance:

Moxy Hotel SoBro render, May 2017.jpg

• Like 2

The reason for the delay for the downtown Moxy is pretty much because the construction company out of Kentucky just could not get the job done. Brentwood based, The Parent Company is now the GC. If should be moving a lot faster now. 

A March 2018 opening is what the source told me.

• Like 3