Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

40 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

What is B'ham? Or is that Buckingham? If so, I never realized it was going to be that tall!! 4th largest building and it isn't even downtown

Actually it would be the 5th tallest building if the height estimates posted on this forum are correct. I deliberately omitted the State's Snodgrass Building at 452' as I only used 'selected' existing buildings on the chart.

56e574dbdd0ca_imageproxy(2).jpg.0c1d2e11

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Have known this one was in the works for a while. The partnership is with Magellan out of Chicago who is working with Tony on the SoBro.

Mark Bloom is cautious and will not announce until ready, so we can assume this project is pretty far along.

So what % would you put for the chances of this being built? Seems like you are pretty confident.

There is a list of hotels planned in Davidson County with the % chance of it happening. Well the W   ranked at 86%. You also have a big time  Co developer in Magellan which makes this project look a lot more likely to hapen. Also Michael Hayes is also involved in the one and was able to pull in Hines out of Houston as a Co developer for 222 Second Ave.

I will say at least 80%.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

There is a list of hotels planned in Davidson County with the % chance of it happening. Well the W   ranked at 86%. You also have a big time  Co developer in Magellan which makes this project look a lot more likely to hapen. Also Michael Hayes is also involved in the one and was able to pull in Hines out of Houston as a Co developer for 222 Second Ave.

I will say at least 80%.

Mark Bloom has been very cautious about any rumors concerning this site.  He would not come forward as spokesman if this wasn't serious indeed.  Besides, they're going to MDHA tomorrow, right?  So he needed to come out and say something today to get in front of this story.

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Parking lot at SW corner of Lower Broadway and 2nd Avenue to remain.  Seems like SUCH a waste of possibility…and at a ridiculous cost as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/03/record-setter-reveals-plans-for-broadway-property.html

They spent $5.05 million dollars for a place to park their trolley buses?  Insane. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

What's up with this vacant lot?  I noticed this huge gap along the river while watching News 2...so looked it up on Google Maps and see it's a parking lot.  Any chance of a development here?  Or is this one of those parking lot owners that will never sell?

Church Street lot.jpg

that is where the underground portion of the light rail will rise out of the ground onto a new rail bridge to cross to east nashville

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, volsfanwill said:

that is where the underground portion of the light rail will rise out of the ground onto a new rail bridge to cross to east nashville

Oh, that's right!  Actually...I heard it would be a ramp and they would shoot the rail car across the river...landing on a ramp beside Nissan Stadium.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, titanhog said:

What's up with this vacant lot?  I noticed this huge gap along the river while watching News 2...so looked it up on Google Maps and see it's a parking lot.  Any chance of a development here?  Or is this one of those parking lot owners that will never sell?

Church Street lot.jpg

That used to have one of the oldest 19th century buildings on 2nd avenue until some arsonists went to town on it in the mid '80s. They were set to build an office building shortly thereafter (20 stories ? John would remember exactly), but Historic Nashville put a stop to it. Perhaps good, perhaps bad, though the design was fairly mediocre, if I recall. Something appropriate and short to compliment its neighbors would fit well there, but otherwise, it's been vacant now for about 30/31 years.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

That used to have one of the oldest 19th century buildings on 2nd avenue until some arsonists went to town on it in the mid '80s. They were set to build an office building shortly thereafter (20 stories ? John would remember exactly), but Historic Nashville put a stop to it. Perhaps good, perhaps bad, though the design was fairly mediocre, if I recall. Something appropriate and short to compliment its neighbors would fit well there, but otherwise, it's been vacant now for about 30/31 years.

As I recall, the 20+ story building was proposed and rejected before the existing building burned down. The developers came back after the fire and subsequent razing and resubmitted their request. They were again denied.

31 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

Thanks for the info.  Until the other day, I hadn't really noticed the "missing tooth gap" in our skyline...but that's definitely a prime spot for something nice...though I guess that section of downtown isn't quite as hot as the Broadway / SoBro area.

43 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

It seems to me that this Historic Nashville group typically fails miserably when it comes to actually saving historic structures from seeing the wrecking ball, but succeed greatly when it comes to making sure new projects don't see the light of day.  They think they're preserving the look of the street, but really, they're just preserving an empty lot.  

Anyway, I agree with you that something that fits the scale of the other historic buildings would fit the bill here, like that three story brick proposal further down 2nd on the other side of Broadway near the Pedestrian bridge.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

One wonders, though, whether and when this long-vacant lot might finally generate interest from developers given the current gold rush frenzy to build out new tourist establishments on Lower Broad and 2nd Ave.   It's hard to imagine there haven't been parties eyeing it.    It has to be an attractive site with its size and absence of existing structures requiring preservation.    I think any new construction would have to fit within the historical overlay guidelines, but the site is basically a blank slate in terms of mixed use possibilities (retail/residential/office).     

• Like 2