Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

From the Nashville Post:

Gather Hospitality will open Lulu, a fast-casual restaurant Lulu in the Germantown area, on Tuesday, May 9.

With an address of 313 Jefferson Street and also fronting Fourth Avenue North, the new restaurant is located within a half block of First Tennessee Park in North Capitol.

Nashville-based hospitality industry veteran Miranda Pontes (Burger Up, Josephine, Frothy Monkey) is using Lulu as the debut project for the newly-formed Gather Hospitality, founded by Pontes and her partner, real estate developer Doug Martin.

“People today want to meet and eat in spaces that offer unique experiences, ones that surprise and delight, and that exceed their wildest expectations,” Pontes said in the release. “Lulu's mission is to provide sincere hospitality for everyone by combining delicious and healthful food served in a relaxed yet sophisticated atmosphere.”

Lulu will be open seven days a week from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served, with dine-in, take-out and delivery options available. A walk-up window will cater to on-the-go orders.

Culinary director Rachel De Jong (The Inn at Little Washington, 5th & Taylor) has created a menu ranging from composed grain bowls and salads with a choice of protein to burgers made from Triple L Ranch beef. Three fresh juices, classified as Red, Orange and Green, will be offered each day, alongside a full bar menu and coffee from Frothy Monkey. De Jong, a pastry chef, will offer a rotating selection of fresh baked goods accompanied by vegan soft-serve almond milk ice cream, available complimentary to all diners, as well as rotisserie chicken meals that can be ordered to go.

The 3,200-square-foot newly constructed space features stand-alone single-family and community tables and a 19-seat bar. Blonde wood, white subway tiles, and Scandinavian modern furniture and fixtures fill the space.

Nashville-based architecture firm DAAD designed the space and contributed interior design guidance, with Anne Marie Garcia serving as a design consultant.

Lulu.5907bc31b0426.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

Was lurking around and found this building. It's located couple miles outside of DC. I wish we could having something like this in the cbd

walmart.jpg

Walmart has a small store in DC as well.  I personally like the Target Stores that are located some of the urban areas.  Here's one that is also located in the DC area that has other retail and restaurants.  There's also a movie complex that's part of the overall complex.  This is located in Northern Virginia outside of DC.

590ca6f4dcb91_TargetMerrifield.PNG.3645d2338d04d0cd02112cebbee4ef1d.PNG590ca6f5b902f_TargetMerrifield2.PNG.55fec76d4a11bff7d48beb1e08e0303d.PNG

target merrifield - Google Search.html

I wish I had access to the whole story, but I could see an Urban Target at Capitol View. 

There was also a 27 acre spot of land next to I-24 in Smyrna that's now under contract. The address is 1025 Stonecrest Parkway. An IKEA perhaps? Speculation on my part...I have no inside knowledge. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

Apparently, Target has looked/is looking at putting an urban store in Nashville.  Anyone with a subscription to the NBJ want to share what's in this article?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/05/04/this-developer-knows-nashvilles-odds-of-landing-an.html

It's a profile of GBT Realty and founder, George Tomlin.    GBT has done lots of development for Target, Walmart and Dollar General.   GBT is also developing Village 21 in Hillsboro Village.   Tomlin says Target has "evaluated" Village 21 as a possible location, but the article doesn't disclose anything concrete.    Although Tomlin does offer this quote when asked about a possible urban Target in Nashville:   "They’ve looked, but they’ve not found the right opportunity to pull the trigger. They’ve focused a lot of that growth on cities that have universities. Some of the projects underway or being proposed downtown, I would be surprised if we don’t see an announcement in the coming months or year regarding a Target in one of those."

Per the article, the typical urban Target is 20,000 - 45,000 sf.     Village 21 will have 22,000 sf of available retail.     

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I know some people in this forum don't care for IKEA, but holy cow I would be as giddy as a schoolgirl if IKEA finally got smart and opened a store in Nashville.  Smyrna would be a great location, too.

Anyway, back to urban Target or even urban Walmart.  While I would prefer an urban Target, I'd be happy with something similar to the Walmart / Publix development adjacent to U.T. in Knoxville, where the Publix and Walmart are built on top of a parking garage.

I like the Publix and Walmart. As far as the IKEA, is that the area across I-24 from where Hickory Hollow was? I believe it's behind the old Target if I am thinking of the right place. IKEA has said multiple times that they are actively looking and just needed to find the right piece of land. Now the the Memphis IKEA is complete I could really see them looking even harder now. Just my two cents. The land has just started being cleared here in Hampton Roads for our IKEA. I should be open next year. 

• Like 1

at the meet yesterday WW mentioned that 6th and 7th through bicentennial mall would be changed to one way with angled parking instead of the current two way with parallel parking.

Well, last night I went to the sounds game and the change was already made. 

I can report that the streets are still two way from Jefferson to the the cross street just before the roundabouts and from James Robertson to the roundabouts on the south end. It was nice, I feel like the new spots will be "secret" parking for sounds games for people in the know.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 7:42 PM, TNinVB said:

I like the Publix and Walmart. As far as the IKEA, is that the area across I-24 from where Hickory Hollow was? I believe it's behind the old Target if I am thinking of the right place. IKEA has said multiple times that they are actively looking and just needed to find the right piece of land. Now the the Memphis IKEA is complete I could really see them looking even harder now. Just my two cents. The land has just started being cleared here in Hampton Roads for our IKEA. I should be open next year. 

I just saw your question...but no, this property is in Smyrna across from the Super Target...in between Stonecrest Hospital and I-24

• Like 1

I'm not sure why some people do not want an Ikea, but trust me they are typically very well received where ever they are.  With Nashville building more and more apartments and condo's that appeal to young singles and families, an Ikea will be an ideal store for them.  While they are definitely not a high end store for furniture, I have found that the few items I have purchased from them have held up very well.  When I lived in an apartment I purchased two cabinets, added optional frosted glass doors and hung them on the wall using anchors to create a floating bar to serve and store beverages, glasses, etc.  I added a thin LED lighting strip under the top cabinet and people loved it.  They were shocked that I purchased the cabinets from Ikea.   I also purchased the same cabinet to sit a flat screen TV on and mounted large caster wheels to the bottom and again no one believed it came from Ikea.  I've since moved into a single family detached home.  I was surprised that the cabinets and a chest of drawers that I also purchased from Ikea moved without a hitch.  No chipping, cracking or anything.  They held up.  I was thinking they would all end up in my unfinished basement for storage.  But, the cabinets have been converted to a stacked beverage center with the same caster wheels and frosted glass doors.  The chest of drawers is being used in one of my guest bedrooms until I refurnish it.  I installed really nice brushed steel handles on all the drawers that makes it look even better.  I say all that to say, don't underestimate the value of the items sold at Ikea.  Again, not top quality but for young people and families just starting out, the furniture at Ikea is really a good option for them. 

In addition to furniture you can also get great deals on cookware, glasses, cutlery, lamps, rugs, bedding, outdoor furnishings and so much more.  It really is an ideal place for college students living off campus to shop.  Thus the reason you see Ikea's in areas where universities are located.  And, for recent college graduates or those who setting out on their own for the first time, Ikea will be a friend that meets their needs and their budget.

If Ikea builds in Nashville, the ideal location to me would actually be across the street from the Beam lots on Broadway because of the proximity to the downtown and midtown dwellers, along with Belmont, TSU and Vandy students.  If they choose outside of the core I can see Briley Parkway near Opry Mills, the old airport site area.  Murfreesboro Road across from the Genesco Bldg.  On the east side I think the Spring Street/Jefferson Street Bridge area would also be a good location.  Again, close to the universities, downtown and Germantown, not to mention east Nashville and the future development of Cowan Street.

• Like 1

I like IKEA just fine, and hope they find a location in Nashville somewhere, but so far as I can tell they've got no building model that isn't a gigantic one or two story big box that requires a sea of parking, and that being the case, I really don't think it belongs anywhere near the core, unless it is part of some brownfield development that isn't already a part of an existing neighborhood.

• Like 4

I agree with you PillowTalk4. I bugs me the way some people turn their nose down at IKEA like it is all junk. It has never been, nor have they ever claimed it to be high end furniture. I have a few pieces that have lasted a while and are still in good shape. The entertainment wall system and bookcase on the right are good examples. When people are over, they always love the entertainment wall and can't believe it's IKEA. The chandelier in the pic is IKEA as well. 

IMG_0735.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I like IKEA just fine, and hope they find a location in Nashville somewhere, but so far as I can tell they've got no building model that isn't a gigantic one or two story big box that requires a sea of parking, and that being the case, I really don't think it belongs anywhere near the core, unless it is part of some brownfield development that isn't already a part of an existing neighborhood.

Their Atlanta location, which is part of a brownfield development (Atlantic Station), is built on top of a 2-level parking garage.  There's not a reason in the world why IKEA couldn't duplicate that in Nashville.

6a0120a58214e4970b0177437b7d16970d-pi.jp

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, TNinVB said:

I agree with you PillowTalk4. I bugs me the way some people turn their nose down at IKEA like it is all junk. It has never been, nor have they ever claimed it to be high end furniture. I have a few pieces that have lasted a while and are still in good shape. The entertainment wall system and bookcase on the right are good examples. When people are over, they always love the entertainment wall and can't believe it's IKEA. The chandelier in the pic is IKEA as well. 

IMG_0735.JPG

Totally agreed.  I have some IKEA furnishings that are nearly 20 years old and still holding up strong.  Plus, IKEA is the perfect place to furnish all those small flats and studio apartments that are springing up all over Nashville.

ikea-391-sq.-ft-room-brooklyn-537x385.jp

IMG_1881.JPG

slideshow_379268_ikea1.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Their Atlanta location, which is part of a brownfield development (Atlantic Station), is built on top of a 2-level parking garage.  There's not a reason in the world why IKEA couldn't duplicate that in Nashville.

I agree that it would work, but only in a semi-isolated brownfield development. In my opinion, a structure like that has absolutely no place in an established urban neighborhood, whether the parking is contained within a garage or not. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

The IKEA up the road in Woodbridge, Va. (south of D.C.) is like this. There is however some parking across the street at Potomac Mills. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TNinVB said:

bugs me the way some people turn their nose down at IKEA like it is all junk

I still have a beautiful rug, a sofa, and a down-filled comforter (and probably some other stuff) - purchased at Ikea in the Birmingham, England area when I lived there 20 years ago. Great quality. 

• Like 2