Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Walked by the MASSIVE hole next to the Nashville City Center.  I know there are plenty of discussions about a parking structure and the potential for the second tower to come up... but when they built the Nashville City Center were there always plans for a second building?  If so, were there drawings on what the second building would potentially look like or did they just figure they would cross that bridge when they got there?

There were renderings that I recall seeing, and it was basically just a taller version of NCC1 with sharper edges.  It seems virtually impossible to find a rendering these days though.  I've tried before.

You can thank Marty Dickens for that one. When he locked the city into the Tower site for the hotel, he made the Marks' $25m, it is just that simple. It also didn't hurt that MDHA low balled them on the offer for the MCC land, they had no option but to go to court.

Yeah, I'm not saying MDHA were saints in this whole deal (the government usually isn't when it comes to eminent domain)...but it seems to me like the jury just took a chunk of money out of taxpayer's pockets and handed it over to a developer...for doing nothing other than sitting on land.

I agree...that was a low-ball offer. I think the original judgment ($16.1 million) sounded fair to me. $30 million is basically taking into account what the land is worth because the convention center is being built. If the MCC never happens, that land doesn't come close to $30 million.

Walked by the MASSIVE hole next to the Nashville City Center.  I know there are plenty of discussions about a parking structure and the potential for the second tower to come up... but when they built the Nashville City Center were there always plans for a second building?  If so, were there drawings on what the second building would potentially look like or did they just figure they would cross that bridge when they got there?

There were plans for a second City Center. IIRC, something like 40 stories and 540 feet. I highly doubt that will happen now. I'm not sure if that plan accounted for the current site being excavated, or if it included the piece of land (parking lot) that continues and fronts Church St.

Personally, I'm not sold that they have plans to build a tower there right now. The garage may be built to accommodate a tower at a future date...but with so many proposals out there and so many other developers pitching more solid plans, I don't see how this materializes. I mean...I hope I'm wrong. I would love to see another 20-30 story tower downtown. I just don't know if it is a possibility right now. Who knows...maybe they're doing something behind the scenes.

There were plans for a second City Center. IIRC, something like 40 stories and 540 feet. I highly doubt that will happen now. I'm not sure if that plan accounted for the current site being excavated, or if it included the piece of land (parking lot) that continues and fronts Church St.

Personally, I'm not sold that they have plans to build a tower there right now. The garage may be built to accommodate a tower at a future date...but with so many proposals out there and so many other developers pitching more solid plans, I don't see how this materializes. I mean...I hope I'm wrong. I would love to see another 20-30 story tower downtown. I just don't know if it is a possibility right now. Who knows...maybe they're doing something behind the scenes.

I agree. If something else were going on I'm sure someone around here would have heard something. 

There were renderings that I recall seeing, and it was basically just a taller version of NCC1 with sharper edges.  It seems virtually impossible to find a rendering these days though.  I've tried before.

Edit;

Sorry. I got in the wrong discussion. I thought you were talking about MCC rather than NCC. I know of the renderings to which you refer but don't have one.

Edited by PHofKS

I believe PH is referring to the original renderings for the NCC, which included two towers... both were similar in design, but one (unbuilt) was to be about 10-12 floors taller than the building that stands today.  Supposedly, it was to be a two-phase project, but it never happened.  Renderings are quite rare.

I believe PH is referring to the original renderings for the NCC, which included two towers... both were similar in design, but one (unbuilt) was to be about 10-12 floors taller than the building that stands today.  Supposedly, it was to be a two-phase project, but it never happened.  Renderings are quite rare.

The good news is I have an original brochure for the project rendering. The bad news is that it's buried in a box of city-related materials somewhere in my house. :dontknow:

The good news is I have an original brochure for the project rendering. The bad news is that it's buried in a box of city-related materials somewhere in my house. :dontknow:

I don't have a rendering, but I know that it was supposed to be 619.03 ft with 40 floors... not sure if they would keep the old design, or go with something completely different (but that still meshes) that could, in effect, "modernize" the first tower. Not sure if they would keep the original height though.

^^^^ive got to say that I really like the way that building looks. I'm having a hard time imagining how that whole development is going to cohesively look. Partially, because I haven't been by in a long time and also due to its piece mill design status, but i like what I see so far.

I think of a movie filmed in Nashville in 1993 called "That Thing Called Love" that showed Sandra Bullock on the roof of the old hospital up there on the hill with the night time Nashville  skyline in the background when I see RHM. It was a definite chamber of commerce moment.

thingcalledlove_zps9ecb861f.jpg

OK this screen cap is not Sandra, but she's in the movie.

PS; A little off topic, but related to the subject of the skyline. Some other movies I can think of with the skyline prominently featured in some way...

The 6th Day with Arnold Schwarzenegger (2000)

The Matrix with Keanu Reeves

MatrixNashville2_zpsaaf34bbb.jpg

WW and the Dixie Dancekings with Burt Reynolds

Wag the Dog with Dustin Hoffman and Robert DeNiro

Any others?

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1

Hey Smeags... the link is to the Werthan Flats info. It is the same developer (SWH) as RMH. Didn't know that there will be 3 more buildings (already announced) on RMH. That will be pretty cool when complete. Timetable?

Here's the RMH building... 7 stories...

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/5/8/rolling_mill_hill_project_groundbreaking_looms

Edited by MLBrumby