Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

Awesome photos! I really like the artwork they've installed on Tryon, I don't know why but it definitely gives off electricity/power company vibes to me.

I've noticed the past 2ish weeks that it appears some Duke employees have moved in? I've been seeing people dressed in office garb, i.e., definitely not construction workers, waltz in and out of a complete/furnished and security-staffed lobby. I knew it was structurally finished late last year with interior work going on into 23 but I've not seen/heard anyway that anyone has moved in yet.

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 3

Maybe when Legacy Union opens a residential tower they will open some retail too. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/03/23/lincoln-harris-vision-award-winner-johnny-harris.html

"If you look at the plans for Legacy Union, the wrapping on the structures has changed a little but, clearly, it’s almost what we expected. I would say to you I thought there probably would be more residential on our property than there is right now." - 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yes to the mural question above.

"Affixed to the Brooklyn Village Avenue-facing façade of Duke Energy Plaza will be a three-dimensional mural by Nigerian native and Brooklyn, NY-based artist Olalekan Jeyifous. The piece symbolizes the rich history and cultural heritage of the former Brooklyn neighborhood, a predominantly Black community in Charlotte’s Second Ward that was razed in the city’s “urban renewal” movement in the 1960s and ’70s. While designing the mural, Jeyifous consulted with the Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture and met with civic leaders and former members of the historic Brooklyn community."

https://news.duke-energy.com/releases/duke-energy-unveils-community-inspired-public-art-at-new-corporate-headquarters

• Like 4

My native city is Indianapolis. In the growing segregation wave of the early 20th century a segregated high school was built for African American students in the city. Even into my time it was still a segregated school. That part of the history is deplorable but the school was named for an American patriot of highest honor: Crispus Attucks:

https://www.nps.gov/people/crispus-attucks.htm

Crispus Attucks High school exists still 96 years after the opening. Without that school in my youth I would have known nothing of him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...