Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

On 5/11/2023 at 4:21 PM, videtur quam contuor said:

My native city is Indianapolis. In the growing segregation wave of the early 20th century a segregated high school was built for African American students in the city. Even into my time it was still a segregated school. That part of the history is deplorable but the school was named for an American patriot of highest honor: Crispus Attucks:

https://www.nps.gov/people/crispus-attucks.htm

Crispus Attucks High school exists still 96 years after the opening. Without that school in my youth I would have known nothing of him. 

How is this relevant to a 40 story Charlotte office building?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

I’m sorry, but does this forum have mods? I am very disappointed with the level and extent of discussion that’s been allowed on this forum lately, and I hardly believe I am alone in this. I see the same users posting on the forum to either antagonize other users or stir up conflict. Does it take an explicit hate crime or the use of curse words to ban/punish a user on this site? Other potential users are frankly being pushed away from using/commenting on this site by the lack of moderation, and given how out of date forums are as a platform this website does not need anything else working against it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, go_vertical said:

I like it but they should have scaled it up a bit to fill out more of the empty space around it.

I'd normally agree with you but Duke did a relatively superb job with this garage as garage aesthetics go, making it look a bit like an architectural jewelry box, replete with a highly-textured yet fully finished exterior.  This stands in sharp contrast to the absolutely hideous Ally Center garage by Crescent Properties.  Yes, perhaps Hill street might be viewed as discarded frontage, but Crescent has assured it will stay discarded with the exposed and unfinished car-stack it has erected there at the gateway into uptown, from the south.  In my opinion, take the art work off the Duke Center garage, scale it, and then slap it on the rear of the Alley Center so that when I'm walking into Uptown from South End along either College or Tryon, I at least have more visual interest to engage with.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

I'd normally agree with you but Duke did a relatively superb job with this garage as garage aesthetics go, making it look a bit like an architectural jewelry box, replete with a highly-textured yet fully finished exterior.  This stands in sharp contrast to the absolutely hideous Ally Center garage by Crescent Properties.  Yes, perhaps Hill street might be viewed as discarded frontage, but Crescent has assured it will stay discarded with the exposed and unfinished car-stack it has erected there at the gateway into uptown, from the south.  In my opinion, take the art work off the Duke Center garage, scale it, and then slap it on the rear of the Alley Center so that when I'm walking into Uptown from South End along either College or Tryon, I at least have more visual interest to engage with.

While I agree with you in principal about Ally Charlotte Center's awful deck, it is at least not as permanent as a tower on top of a parking deck. Originally Crescent was going to build retail into the deck, but went prefab because it's a lower cost solution that could one day be torn down for something else. Not that I actually believe that theyd do that lol, that was just the claim.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

While I agree with you in principal about Ally Charlotte Center's awful deck, it is at least not as permanent as a tower on top of a parking deck. Originally Crescent was going to build retail into the deck, but went prefab because it's a lower cost solution that could one day be torn down for something else. Not that I actually believe that theyd do that lol, that was just the claim.

Imagine a day when all the untold land capital that is currently wasted and idled simply for mass-squatting by machine, gets reclaimed for purposes that honor the worth of "God's Green Earth" that so many candidates on the debate stage tonight loved to make reference to.  Reclaimed for green space.  Reclaimed for shelter.  Reclaimed for community.  The Great Reclamation.  Bring it on now, the Great Reclamation.

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Fair point.  Slap some art work on it and hide it all then.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Imagine a day when all the untold land capital that is currently wasted and idled simply for mass-squatting by machine, gets reclaimed for purposes that honor the worth of "God's Green Earth" that so many candidates on the debate stage tonight loved to make reference to.  Reclaimed for green space.  Reclaimed for shelter.  Reclaimed for community.  The Great Reclamation.  Bring it on now, the Great Reclamation.

Oh captain, my captain 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...