Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Woah, that’s crazy. Or is it not? 

Completely unopposed (by any R’s or D’s.) Yeesh. If no one files by noon Friday. 

CLTDevelopment! CLTDevelopment! CLTDevelopment! (for Mayor)

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, kermit said:

Disappointing given the lack of productivity of local government at the moment (IMO):

Honestly, I blame the lack of progress on the council-manager municipal form of government.  A city manager and their respective office can push any and everything out or slow it down. Remember, the manipulating behind the recent vote to decline the extending of the mayor and council terms to 4 years, staggered election cycles, and an 8th council district allowing more representation.

https://www.thecharlotteweekly.com/southcltweekly/charlotte-takes-no-action-on-longer-city-council-terms/article_5b6b8a88-ee66-11ed-904d-27f15b175146.html

Something has to change as this is not how a major city should run. Looking at the need for 3 branches of local government (executive, judicial [even if it is county-level judges], legislative) and directly elected by us citizens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 2:09 PM, davidclt said:

Josh Stein (and Roy Cooper before him) were stellar AGs for this state. The Democrats need to recruit a stellar, well-known candidate to face off against this cancer. Dan "Mr. Bathrooms" Bishop is dangerous and will use his office to punish his political opponents.

Looking like it might be Jeff Jackson if his district gets redrawn the way it probably will.

• Like 2

its a genuine shame that NC lacks direct democracy.

#Ohio

Samuel Alito promised us in response to the Dobbs decision that if we didn't like the effects of overturning Roe we could vote to change the state laws. When is the NCGA going to give us that opportunity?

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, kermit said:

its a genuine shame that NC lacks direct democracy.

#Ohio

How exactly can we make our government respond to the will of the people?

Education . . . I think Lyndon Johnson said it best (and looking at Robeson County, et al. you see the proof in the pudding):

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”
― Lyndon B. Johnson

What is the Republican Party's platform to address poverty? "Work harder, pull yourself up by you bootstraps." Not saying the Democrats have done much more but . . . lesser of two evils.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, davidclt said:

Education . . . I think Lyndon Johnson said it best (and looking at Robeson County, et al. you see the proof in the pudding):

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”
― Lyndon B. Johnson

What is the Republican Party's platform to address poverty? "Work harder, pull yourself up by you bootstraps." Not saying the Democrats have done much more but . . . lesser of two evils.

Lyndon Johnson's words ring just as true today as they did back in the 60's, maybe even more so. If lower and middle class white people accepted the fact they're getting screwed by our system and actually joined ranks with black and brown folks, well game over.  As for the lesser of two evils, I'll just say there's a certain political party that is all in for totalitarian rule, and there's a party that's not. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, videtur quam contuor said:

They will lap up his candidacy like mewling kittens. I mean he really didn't break any laws that matter. The laws that really matter are things like laws against looting, rape, murder, abortion, immigration and laws that make it harder for the non-white, non-middle and upper classes to vote. I welcome this "good Christian" man of faith and utmost integrity to the race.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 11:31 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Looks like President Trump was just Indicted in Georgia along with NC’s Mark Meadows.  We’re in uncharted territory here in this country.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/15/meadows-georgia-case-federal-court-00111382

Meadows has already filed to move the case to Federal court.

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/15/meadows-georgia-case-federal-court-00111382

Meadows has already filed to move the case to Federal court.

They sure won't be judged fairly by their peers in present day Georgia. The situation Is equivalent to trying some moron like Al Sharpton using the KKK ot neo-Nazi members as his peers.   I doubt if moving it to federal court will make if fairer.  The judicial system is in shambles like all else in this country presently.  I am not a Trumpy just one that is concerned with what is happening in Washington and our state of government. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Larry Singer said:

They sure won't be judged fairly by their peers in present day Georgia. The situation Is equivalent to trying some moron like Al Sharpton using the KKK ot neo-Nazi members as his peers.   I doubt if moving it to federal court will make if fairer.  The judicial system is in shambles like all else in this country presently.  I am not a Trumpy just one that is concerned with what is happening in Washington and our state of government. 

The donald and his co-defendants were indicted by a grand jury of attempting to manipulate election results in Georgia. Why don’t you believe the good people of Fulton County (the State Capitol) are capable of impartially judging them for that?

[Atlanta is the 8th largest metro in the US. There were 137,000 trump voters in Fulton County in the 2020 election. https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/GA/Fulton/105430/web.264614/#/summary ]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, kermit said:

The donald and his co-defendants were indicted by a grand jury of attempting to manipulate election results in Georgia. Why don’t you believe the good people of Fulton County (the State Capitol) are capable of impartially judging them for that?

[Atlanta is the 8th largest metro in the US. There were 137,000 trump voters in Fulton County in the 2020 election. https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/GA/Fulton/105430/web.264614/#/summary ]

Because it is Atlanta and I know Atlanta. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, kermit said:

Cool.  I lived in North Georgia for more than a decade, perhaps we frequented some of the same Buford Highway taco joints? Unfortunately my experience living in Atlanta  doesn't help me understand why you think donald and his co-conspirators can’t get a fair trial in Fulton County. Do Fulton County residents somehow not have (or deserve) the right to hold people who attempt to steal their votes to account in a court of law?

Just trying to understand your point of view here.

The reason is what you think I am thinking. The participants want to hang him.  If Trump deserves prison, so be it. But, if the Bidens deserve prison, they should be there too. Throw Hillary in there as well. She is probably the most deserving.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/9/2023 at 8:49 PM, abttown said:

Lyndon Johnson's words ring just as true today as they did back in the 60's, maybe even more so. If lower and middle class white people accepted the fact they're getting screwed by our system and actually joined ranks with black and brown folks, well game over.  As for the lesser of two evils, I'll just say there's a certain political party that is all in for totalitarian rule, and there's a party that's not. 

I'm for structure. Cal it what you want. We're falling apart. We need to make America great again regardless of who is president. 

• Haha 2