Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

1 hour ago, Larry Singer said:

What would you consider the key factor? We could do like Northern Ireland and put a large fence between the safe and unsafe parts of dangerous cities. We could use the wall materials that are wasting away. Finally, the problem seems to not be with "poor" or "fat" South Carolinians. When I watch the news, they all seem skinny, with masks and guns. They aren't deprived.    They are just lazy and stupid.   They know that getting slapped on the wrist is a nice exchange for robbing a 7/11 or jewelry store. You want to stop obesity in S.C.? You should close down Ryan's buffets. Personally, I feel that South Carolina is one of the top greatest states in the U.S. Screw that fat, lazy, dangerous thugs for which you elude, everything else is great. 

That’s not really how I think of places. I like South Carolina. There’s a lot to learn about NY & even San Francisco. A lot. It’s such a shame how tribal people get resorting to near blatant lies.

There are issues everywhere. But to hyper focus on one thing and blow it out of proportion, dehumanization. I just think that is a shame for people to close themselves off like that. Whether it be about San Francisco/NY or to SC, TX, etc. 

People see a picture of a bad block and characterize it in a way that’s outrageous. It’s the equivalent of me going to Charlotte and taking pictures on North Tryon near the Amshack, And going along Independence, taking photos of the epicenter and characterizing Charlotte as a failed city with mall closing, miles of abandoned strips malls along Independence. A large IKEA opened up in San Francisco this week and lots of great things are happening in many of these cities. Places like NY, Chicago, DC, Seattle are reaching new heights in urbanity and decade over decade grew a lot (NY especially) and the Covid blips were just that; blips. There are issues specific to big urban cities, there are issues specific to other cities, rural areas [which is where the real decline is occurring] but most of those areas are working through their own issues. There’s so many positives, it’s great to look at areas that are weak on one thing but they excel at another. You could even think an area is doing something completely wrong but really analyzing the specific issues etc and not just dehumanizing rhetoric. It’s better. And people generally are very ignorant on what is going on in other cities which I don’t blame them; it’s hard to know but that’s why sometimes it’s best to go in with open minds and not pre-conceived notions. 

This applies to people on any side. It’s a shame to hyper focus on negativity when there’s so much opportunity to learn. It’s why I in general don’t like deriding other places. & some places are just different like Austin or Atlanta and I can still appreciate and admire their progress without being dismissive “oh, Austin has hideous podium parking and blah blah blah.” But instead, I stay impressed with it. I think things like that go a long way.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, davidclt said:

To turn things around in SC (much of this could be said for rural parts of most of America including rural NC):

1. Start by electing representatives that are looking out for the good of all citizens of South Carolina - focused on ensuring no child in the state goes to bed hungry, focused on ensuring all children regardless of location, background or race have professional, well-trained teachers in well-funded (properly funded) schools. Not representatives focused on protecting their people, their tribe.
  2. Next focus on the problems that lead to the prevalence of violent crime in the state. The hopelessness, the militarization of the police, the policing of our schools, the overincarceration for minor or trumped up offenses which are a legacy of the Jim Crow south, the de facto segregation which still exists and is tacitly via policy and practice: It's not policy anymore, but 1 in 7 SC schools remain segregated (greenvilleonline.com)
  3. At a federal level implement non-partisan redistricting commissions and do away with partisan redistricting completely
  4. Implement a truly progressive taxing system, not a "flat tax" which is by its nature regressive (but loved by a certain segment of the population)
  5. Focus on equity across the population, not equality.

Your turn.

Did you write this in 1965? Somebody did and it didn't work. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Republicans are obsessed with certain areas. Majority of them vote based on their hate for certain areas…. They’re so concerned with NYC (one of the if not THE most desired, powerful and popular city in the world) but I don’t hear them at all concerned with Memphis, Jacksonville FL, St. Louis, Houston, etc…. 

For the nasty things people say about certain blue states & cities, there’s even more negative things to say about certain red states & their cities. 

From Violence, Property Crime, Rape, Average Life Expectancy, Education, Poverty, Obesity, Savings. But you have to the ability to think of certain areas as having “lesser” people or dehumanize them in such a way that it doesn’t bother one’s conscience to completely disparage them. 

Like why is the Greenville Poster going ham on NY when he’s from a state that’s more dangerous, more violent, has more poverty, less people with healthcare, more obesity, more theft, more property crime and more violent cities? Why doesn’t he focus on disparaging SC instead? 

Edited by Larry Singer
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kermit said:

I am not a democrat.

on what metric can NYC be objectively characterized as a crap hole?

NYC, Chicago and San Francisco are among the most productive and wealthiest cities in the country (while the worst economic conditions are generally found in red states). You are glossing over a great deal of economic success when dismissing these places using nothing more than faux news talking points.

Have you been to NYC in the past three years. Did you happen to notice the number of homeless, piles of crap on the streets in certain areas, the increased number of morons blitzed out of their minds, and the degrading of Manhattan? The same applies to Chicago and San Francisco. I know. Remove those problems in those three cities and the murders in South Carolina, we would be just like Sweden. Problem solved. 😊

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Have YOU been to almost any small or mid-sized rural town in pretty much any red state in the past ten to twenty years?  Did YOU happen to notice the abject poverty, drug addiction, lack of access to healthcare, rotting infrastructure, and piss poor education?  Not saying these things don't exist in blue states, but the Republicans aren't even pretending like they care anymore and I'm talking about places where they have fully controlled things for, in many cases, decades so the narrative that they are having to "fix things" doesn't fly.

Yes, there are issues and problems in every corner and every state, but to sit here and say cities that have a lower crime and poverty rate along with higher education levels per capita all while ignoring the long standing and deep rooted rot that we all know exists in deep red states is pretty damn disingenuous and down right low.

You keep displaying the most snowflake behavior of all by crying cancellation (not happening) and you moan and wail about having to think the same as everyone else or not being allowed to think differently or whatever on these forums which would be really funny if it wasn't so damn sad.  Get over yourself dude.  Everyone here just wants to engage in healthy debate but all you insist on doing is putting forth gotcha statements and stupid right wing propaganda talking points that conveniently ignore context and important facts.

Also, if you ever feel like your being attacked or are receiving any hostility then, well, you get the energy you give out.

Edited by Larry Singer
Don't like debating with a person without information.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I've been to NYC 5 times in the last three years and think the city is amazing and don't feel like Manhattan is degrading. I did not see many homeless people for a city of 8 million people (especially compared to Charlotte proportionally) nor many people with drug issues. I guess everything is a matter of perspective. Unfortunately drug abuse is a big problem in the Carolinas with South Carolinas ranking 12th for overdose death rates and NC ranking 16th. Few places compare to West Virginia though... a true tragedy, where 90 of every 100,000 people die of overdose. 

lives there. 

Edited by Larry Singer
Don't wish to argue.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Larry Singer said:

lives there. 

Oh I didn't know you lived in New York. Is your experience based off living there? I know a lot of friends that do and love it there. Some plan to stay long term and some are just enjoying it as a phase in life. Nobody hates it thought that I know. You may have different friends than me though or lived there and that's totally fine. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Larry Singer said:

lives there. 

Didn't you say you just moved from Boston on another thread here, but yet you had firsthand knowledge of shopping at Eastland Mall (see the Northlake thread) in its heyday? Now all of a sudden you lived in/live in NYC?

The math ain't mathing here. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2023 at 7:13 PM, LKN704 said:

Didn't you say you just moved from Boston on another thread here, but yet you had firsthand knowledge of shopping at Eastland Mall (see the Northlake thread) in its heyday? Now all of a sudden you lived in/live in NYC?

Well, you just keep on wondering and playing with that math. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like City Council is on track to remain largely the same: https://charlotte.axios.com/339148/charlotte-city-council-primary-election-results-2023/

5% of eligible Democrats showed up to vote in the primary. 

• Vi Lyles remains mayor (don't think Misun Kim of GOP has a chance)
  • At-Large City Council is current members of council (Ajmera, Mitchell, Slack-Mayfield, Watlington)
  • District 1, 2, 4, 5, and 7 are all set with their incumbents

All that's left:

• District 6 rematch of Bokhari versus Hand
  • District 3 Tiawana Brown (just won the Dem primary) versus James Bowers (GOP)

Tiawana Brown is very likely to win District 3 and be a new face on council. Her core platform on her website: https://tiawanabrown.com/issues

1.) Affordable Housing
2.) Having CATS provide equitable transportation
3.) Congestion and road improvements in Steele Creek
4.) Workforce / education opportunities
5.) Community engagement on safety
6.) Quarterly town hall commitment for her district

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Larry Singer said:

Does equitable transportation mean that we are getting better transportation service in "all" areas? 

Are you asking if CLT would prioritize serving poorer neighborhoods where people most need it? If so, I certainly hope so. I take you would disagree?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Are you asking if CLT would prioritize serving poorer neighborhoods where people most need it? If so, I certainly hope so. I take you would disagree?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am hoping for better transportation in the lake area to Charlotte and around.  Do you understand that "poorer" neighborhoods and "high-crime" neighborhoods are not necessarily the same in the real world.  There are very nice neighborhoods in north and east Charlotte where the crime is as bad as any other. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Larry Singer said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am hoping for better transportation in the lake area to Charlotte and around.  Do you understand that "poorer" neighborhoods and "high-crime" neighborhoods are not necessarily the same in the real world.  There are very nice neighborhoods in north and east Charlotte where the crime is as bad as any other. 

What transportation would you like to see in the Lake Area & what do you think would need to happen for it to become reality? 

(which I always thought had a pretty good little bus system. I actually even relied completely on their bus system to get all around LKN at one point. There were maybe 3 high frequency buses to uptown, 3 routes connecting the 3 LKN towns and the Beatties Ford bus came to that Walmart so you could get uptown on the weekends. I lived at Huntersville Commons Apts which was convenient to the little bus hub “Huntersville Gateway Station” or something).

On 8/28/2023 at 7:13 PM, LKN704 said:

The answer to your question is yes. It still surprises me that people make statements without doing their homework. I have mentioned many times that I am from Charlotte originally. Until few years ago, I lived in places like Europe, South America, Boston, Edgewater, N.J. (metro NYC), Charleston, S.C., Miami, L.A., Minneapolis, Columbus, Oh., Santa Barbara, Ca., and all for at least a year. Over the years, I kept in touch with friends and relatives in this area and visited whenever possible. Now perhaps you can take refresher classes in math and geography and you'll understand.  Yep, I am pretty much a Foder's travel book.  And yes, I did a lot of different stuff too. 

• Like 1