Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

47 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

All I'm saying is that Oregon had all the same arguments. Now schools are at a shortfall for money and the quality of education is dropping.  The goal posts have been moved.  FWIW, I'm not for criminalization  either, but Oregon has just re-criminalized small personal use of drugs.  There is no panacea.

As far as no negative effects, google "IQ + adolescents + marijuana".  Moreover, when the teacher has to repeat herself over and over because half the class is high then a lot of valuable learning time is wasted.  Use among under-aged kids has soared since it became legal.   Is this what we really want? https://www.washington.edu/news/2020/07/20/legal-marijuana-may-be-slowing-reductions-in-teen-marijuana-use-study-says/

Legalization of marijuana shouldn't be blocked because some parents or legal guardians can't keep up with their adolescences, thus I can nor will continue to entertain the tangent about adolescence usage.  That is my point. 

The purpose of legalization of marijuana is for adults (18+) who want to purchase it or cannabis from a state-regulated and taxed retail shop can do so and the state receives the tax revenue from the legalized monetary transactions.   North Carolina has little to nothing in common with Oregon aside from them both being states and on respective ocean coastlines.  What has and is occurring in Oregon isn't exactly germane to the argument.  It's like comparing Alabama to New York or Arizona to Illinois.  This might be a case study of why some mostly rural states like Oregon, Colorado, etc. should be better regulating its permittees related to tax evasion and subverting the state regulatory codes for legalization of marijuana.   

North Carolina, like its peers Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia have shown that it can benefit from its legalization.   That's what we can refer to as Virginia has a similar state code (constitution),  economic conditions, political makeup and environment, and our direct regional peer to the north. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, LKN704 said:

How does your child know what being high looks like? How does your child know they don't have some sort of mental disability?  Did a school administrator/teacher tell you that half of the kids in your kid's class were high? Just trying to understanding the logic behind your claims...

I'm glad we are at the stage of society where "My kid says half the class can't focus or pay attention at all so those kids all must be high! Blame drug legalization!"

Next week we are going to hear about how half the kids in class wore tie dye one day so they must all be LGBT+...must be an inevitable response to gay marriage. 

Indeed, it is difficult to tell whether someone is high or has a mental disability.

The logic is the same you used when you wrote about your own experiences in NY or Mooresville.  Purely anecdotal.  Only one big difference: as it's legal here my kid has first hand knowledge of what it smells like, what stoned people act like, and how it's difficult to communicate with them.

There is a house not far from the local high school where the kids go during lunch, with the parents' knowledge no less, to get stoned at lunch.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kayman said:

Legalization of marijuana shouldn't be blocked because some parents or legal guardians can't keep up with their adolescences, thus I can nor will continue to entertain the tangent about adolescence usage.  That is my point. 

The purpose of legalization of marijuana is for adults (18+) who want to purchase it or cannabis from a state-regulated and taxed retail shop can do so and the state receives the tax revenue from the legalized monetary transactions.   North Carolina has little to nothing in common with Oregon aside from them both being states and on respective ocean coastlines.  What has and is occurring in Oregon isn't exactly germane to the argument.  It's like comparing Alabama to New York or Arizona to Illinois.  This might be a case study of why some mostly rural states like Oregon, Colorado, etc. should be better regulating its permittees related to tax evasion and subverting the state regulatory codes for legalization of marijuana.   

North Carolina, like its peers Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia have shown that it can benefit from its legalization.   That's what we can refer to as Virginia has a similar state code (constitution),  economic conditions, political makeup and environment, and our direct regional peer to the north. 

It is totally "germane" to compare the two. Both states are rural and urban. Portland is actually more urban, despite slightly lower population than Charlotte. Both states are split politically.  The biggest difference is, personal drug use and the sale of marijuana has been legal here a lot longer.  And, it's not just Oregon.  Why not look at empirical data?

Portland, and Oregon, have now gone back to re-criminalizing personal drug use. That's not to say arrests will lead to jail time, but it does allow addicts to be arrested and given help, as opposed to just letting folks wander the streets.  There's a huge pull-back regarding legalizing drugs in Oregon. It hasn't been the panacea everyone thought it would be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

It is totally "germane" to compare the two. Both states are rural and urban. Portland is actually more urban, despite slightly lower population than Charlotte. Both states are split politically.  The biggest difference is, personal drug use and the sale of marijuana has been legal here a lot longer.  And, it's not just Oregon.  Why not look at empirical data?

Portland, and Oregon, have now gone back to re-criminalizing personal drug use. That's not to say arrests will lead to jail time, but it does allow addicts to be arrested and given help, as opposed to just letting folks wander the streets.  There's a huge pull-back regarding legalizing drugs in Oregon. It hasn't been the panacea everyone thought it would be.

The fact the you ignored what is happening in Virginia, Maryland,  and DC which is more relevant to North Carolinians than Oregon tells me you want to compare apples to oranges. I'm good on not further discussing anything with you on this topic. 

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/17708874/

This is a precinct map with most common registered voter names. For those not familiar to the region check Union County where Helms is so very common. Also Robeson and Scotland County with Oxendine, Locklear, Lowery, Hunt and Chavis. These names are very common in the Lumbee family communities.

In southwest Union county the precincts that abut (essentially) Providence High school all have thee same most common name: Patel.

Mecklenburg is white-bread English names by comparison.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, videtur quam contuor said:

This is a precinct map with most common registered voter names. For those not familiar to the region check Union County where Helms is so very common. Also Robeson and Scotland County with Oxendine, Locklear, Lowery, Hunt and Chavis. These names are very common in the Lumbee family communities.

In southwest Union county the precincts that abut (essentially) Providence High school all have thee same most common name: Patel.

Except for the ex slaves who took their masters' surname.  

I might add, you might enjoy a book I just read called, "The Jews In Scotland".  You'll read that names like Cowen and Aiken were derived from Jewish surnames. Cowen- Cohen back in Scotland.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, videtur quam contuor said:

Lovelace is also a common Lumbee surname as well

• Like 1