Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

5 hours ago, kermit said:

1) I don’t think you understand what obstruction means. Also not sure you understand the term idiocy — how many times was trump requested to return the documents? How many times did trump lie about having returned them all? He could have avoided this whole trial by just following instructions (as Biden and Pence did). 

2) Hillary has already been investigated and cleared. How would prosecuting her be  ‘fair and impartial’? Seems like it would be literal ‘the weaponization of the dept of justice’ but I am sure you will tell me I am overlooking something. Biden’s document issues are being investigated now so it could be said that the initial stages of his prosecution are underway. What else do you need to see on that? The evidence against trump has been collected (with a proper chain of custody) and presented in court, and a grand jury in Florida voted to indict him. How -exactly- is trump’s prosecution not ‘fair and impartial’ (e.g. consistent with the letter of the law).

3) If Biden actually did commit  a crime do you think a preemptive self-pardon would be inappropriate? (And what would such a pardon mean in terms of ‘fairness’?)

You are obviously not a veteran, nor have you ever worked around government classified material.  A person would have to be pretty stupid to believe that these three didn't severely commit serious security breaches worthy of criminal court. I'm only saying that if Trump is tried, which he should be with, the other two should as well.  You said, "if Biden actually did commit a crime." Really, wake up!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, kermit said:

Neither you or I have access to the evidence in any of these cases. Not sure my belief that people are innocent until proven guilty makes me stupid. 

The justice process for both Biden and the donald appears to be moving forward to me. I don't understand why you are suggesting otherwise.

Donald's trial is all teed up, I am eager to see see how his defense goes. If the investigation that is currently underway indicates that Biden should stand trial then (according to republicans) we must wait until he is out of office. Unless you think it is possible and reasonable to indict a sitting president then I don't understand your insistence that "everybody should be tried at the same time".

Biden can also run for reelection, as I understand the precedent that donald established in 2021, Kamala Harris gets to unilaterally decide the winner of the next presidential election so Biden seems immune from any indictment until 2028.... This is the America that republicans elected in 2020.

I am with you.  I just want the whole issue to be fair. Everyone should be on equal ground in regard to receiving just sentencing if convicted.  As Biden said today in New England, "God save the Queen?"  I will leave this topic alone.  Cheers! I like being happy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Larry Singer said:

I am with you.  I just want the whole issue to be fair. Everyone should be on equal ground in regard to receiving just sentencing if convicted. 

And it looks to be fair (based on the rules set up by republicans) to me.

These rules tell us that Biden gets a free pass on everything he may have done until he is out of office -- there is no point in pretending everything needs to (or could) happen at the same time.

a January 6 indictment for trump is just around the corner...

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Tim Moore: Has Orgies for political Favors 

Trump: Y’all know all his crimes. After years of “Lock Hillary up” chants. He does does the same thing x5,000 in severity. 

Biden: said the Gaffe “God Save the Queen” which no American would’ve noticed unless the media or our British friends pointed it out. I personally thought it was just a phrase. & hello. Are you F’n Kidding me, Trump the Queen of Ignorant statements. “He says whatever is on his mind. He’s not a real politician, he’s a normal person.” Kiss my rear end and God Save the Queen. 

It was pride month, so maybe he meant the gays Lmao. & No Larry. I’m not mad. That would be gas lighting. I don’t sit around screaming “our country is being robbed! It’s so hard being a Christian in the US! Take back our country! Witch hunts! Black & Trans people are replacing me!” That’s what an angry person sounds like. 

I’m glad the only drama our President has is a dumb gaffe over royalty that Conservatives believe is part of a satanic pedophile cabal anyway so….. why you pressed? 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Larry Singer said:

Biden had secret documents in his unguarded, open garage, Biden wasn't even president when he took these documents. Hillary destroyed thousands of classified documents. They should be in prison for years. I certainly would have been when I was an army officer handling classified. If Trump is guilty of storing unauthorized documents, he should also be punished.  I am saying that if they are guilty of breaching our national security, they "all" should be sentenced. I am aware that presidents have been pardoned for impeachable actions, etc., however, I am not putting a time frame on situations. If Trump is sentenced, they should nail Biden after his term expires and Hillary now.  Biden is certainly extremely guilty of obstruction at this point simply by idiotically storing the material in his unsecured garage. His crack using son had access and frequented entered the garage and likely with precarious friends. We'll see more to this soon if our justice system ever wakes up. I'm just saying, "Let's prosecute the abusers in a fair and impartial manner. 

Trumps own DoJ investigated and determined that there was no case against Clinton, and we all know that Trump only hired the best people. Apparently, you have evidence that all of them didn't.

• Like 3

We have proof in this that apparently listening to the crazy uncle or YouTube/Facebook 'experts' is actively harming people's mental health. Spouting random conspiracy theories as facts. We have a serious education problem going on.

• Like 4

On 6/6/2023 at 4:54 PM, rancenc said:

Bill progressing through the General Assembly could bring horse racing to the state!

https://www.gamingtoday.com/news/north-carolina-bill-horse-racing-gambling-shift/

Wow - do any of you think that CLT could be the epicenter of horse racing  in the State?  Maybe at the Motor-speedway or something?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Wow - do any of you think that CLT could be the epicenter of horse racing  in the State?  Maybe at the Motor-speedway or something?

I think it should be a goal. I don't know why it shouldn't be Charlotte. It was a surprise when soccer was such a triumphant success with the incredible attendance at the first game and those that followed. Charlotte has the population and geography to facilitate such a venture. I would also love to see the "turf accountant" offices (betting) you find around England where one can simply walk in and place a bet without driving to the speedway or arena, etc. 

• Like 1

This story in The Economist dropped before the Tim Moore news but it's an interesting view nonetheless: North Carolina may be the hottest political battleground of 2024 (economist.com)

Jun 15th 2023
The most fascinating political chess match in America outside Washington, dc—where the usual game is more like 52-card pickup anyway—is taking place in North Carolina, involving races from the local to the national level. Joe Biden, who is already running campaign advertising in the state, made his sixth trip there as president on June 9th, the same day as Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida and a day ahead of two other Republican candidates, Mike Pence and Donald Trump.
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, davidclt said:

This story in The Economist dropped before the Tim Moore news but it's an interesting view nonetheless: North Carolina may be the hottest political battleground of 2024 (economist.com)

Jun 15th 2023
The most fascinating political chess match in America outside Washington, dc—where the usual game is more like 52-card pickup anyway—is taking place in North Carolina, involving races from the local to the national level. Joe Biden, who is already running campaign advertising in the state, made his sixth trip there as president on June 9th, the same day as Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida and a day ahead of two other Republican candidates, Mike Pence and Donald Trump.

This could be the reason that the NCGA is forcing through Election Law Reform in North Carolina making it harder to vote/giving less time to early vote, less time for mail in ballots, etc. under the guise of Voting Security.  If NC is lost to Republican General Election candidates then they won’t be able to win the White House.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Geez, even a “How many Deaths from a Nuclear Bomb” even low key shows Charlotte as a sprawling city lol. Who knew nuclear strikes are also biased against Charlottes Urbanity. 

Only 347K people within Blast range  in Charlotte, which is 21% of its population.

So for various cities 

For the areas thought of as more dense including Charlotte: 

Charlotte (347K, 21%)

Portland (587k, 22%)

Baltimore (739k, 26%)

Denver (672K, 21%)

Minneapolis (675K, 19%)

Seattle (560K, 14%) (includes Water) 
San Francisco (985K, 21%) (includes Water)

Boston (1.2M, 25%) (includes Water) 

Philadelphia (1.2M, 19%)

Washington (1.1M, 18%)

Chicago (1.3M, 13%) (Includes Lakes)

New York (3.8M, 20%) (Includes Water) 

For the areas considered less dense with Charlotte:

Charlotte (347k, 21%)

San Antonio (491k, 20%)

Orlando (435k, 17%)

Phoenix (552k, 11%)

Atlanta (491k, 8%)

Houston (723k, 10%)

Dallas (547k, 7%)

That said, I think we could expect the 102 Miles of the city to rise a little less than 200,000 as the metro adds 3 Million more folks. 

It’s interesting to note around 500K is where it seem to start maxing out at the current density levels of the cores of the lower density cities before there’s nowhere to go but out. The Largest Dense cities have kept up about 20% or higher (when adjusted for water) while the largest lower density cities spread out approaching 10% or less in that radius. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The New Yorker Radio Hour just published an interview with our former Governor, Pat McCrory about the No Labels party. He was, in a word, slimy. They also tackled that it's basically an astroturf group sponsored by billionaires and set to ensure the re-election of DJT by siphoning votes from Joe Biden.

A Mysterious Third Party Enters the Presidential Race | The New Yorker

A Mysterious Third Party Enters the Presidential Race

The former North Carolina governor Pat McCrory and the staff writer Sue Halpern on the would-be political party No Labels, which could have an outsized impact on the Presidential race.

Edited by davidclt
Fixed typo
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Disappointing given the lack of productivity of local government at the moment (IMO):

Woah, that’s crazy. Or is it not? 

Completely unopposed (by any R’s or D’s.) Yeesh. If no one files by noon Friday.