Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

43 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

What transportation would you like to see in the Lake Area & what do you think would need to happen for it to become reality? 

(which I always thought had a pretty good little bus system. I actually even relied completely on their bus system to get all around LKN at one point. There were maybe 3 high frequency buses to uptown, 3 routes connecting the 3 LKN towns and the Beatties Ford bus came to that Walmart so you could get uptown on the weekends. I lived at Huntersville Commons Apts which was convenient to the little bus hub “Huntersville Gateway Station” or something).

These days, you "only" see busses that make express runs to uptown. The buses between Davidson. Huntersville, and Cornelius seem to have disappeared. If one works uptown, it is possible to rely on the bus system. I would like to think that it is possible to take a bus into town to see a play, go for a pub crawl, or just to walk around after normal business hours and not rely on Uber.  Also, we have handicapped and elderly people here as well that need to get to the doctor's office or the hair dresser, etc.  When I moved to town, we even had the "Party" buses at the Galway Hooker that have relocated.  I enjoy living where I do and have no desire to move; however, when I saw the house I (my wife) liked when looking everywhere for a permanent  settlement,  we were impressed by the walkability of our present community and the plans to have a light rail. It was pretty thematic for me that those plans went down the drain.  

Finally, when I was growing up, my family moved regularly in the metro area (westside). We lived on Rozzell's Ferry Road, Tuckaseegee Road (way out) , Grandin Road (Wesley Heights), Westchester, Westerly Hills, and other areas that are considered as "poorer" areas today.   Trust me, they weren't luxurious when I lived there. These areas haven't changed that much over the years. Most are reasonably well kept. We had less amenities then than there are today. Transportation wise, these areas seem to be well served in regard to buses, etc. It is possible that the limiting factor today in regard to retail or transportation is the crime factor. Public money should be used as an incentive to reward positive community actions, not a pay-off for degradation or status quo conditions.  Those that pay the most taxes should certainly see substantial return on their contribution.  I support for equal opportunity for "all," not necessarily the government's version.  My point, we all need better transportation options. Let's take a serious look at actual needs and eliminate the politics and placation normally part of making changes or improvements. 

Edited by Larry Singer
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

What transportation would you like to see in the Lake Area & what do you think would need to happen for it to become reality? 

Honestly, I'm not overly concerned for myself, but I would like to see maybe two regular runs leaving Mooresville and making a central stop or two in Davidson, Cornelius, and Huntersville into Charlotte around 11:00 am (daily) and 6:00 pm (daily). with a return run leaving uptown Charlotte around 11:00 pm. I have different reasons for which all are probably arguable, so I won't mention them. Additionally, Saturday and Sunday game runs should be added to the pretend schedule. I think that to accomplish these, the state and/or local government would need to think outside of the city perimeter and help accommodate all of the citizens and newcomers to the north (Lake area). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Larry Singer said:

Honestly, I'm not overly concerned for myself, but I would like to see maybe two regular runs leaving Mooresville and making a central stop or two in Davidson, Cornelius, and Huntersville into Charlotte around 11:00 am (daily) and 6:00 pm (daily). with a return run leaving uptown Charlotte around 11:00 pm. I have different reasons for which all are probably arguable, so I won't mention them. Additionally, Saturday and Sunday game runs should be added to the pretend schedule. I think that to accomplish these, the state and/or local government would need to think outside of the city perimeter and help accommodate all of the citizens and newcomers to the north (Lake area). 

11:00 AM?  Those are retired peoples' hours.  

1 hour ago, Larry Singer said:

These days, you "only" see busses that make express runs to uptown. The buses between Davidson. Huntersville, and Cornelius seem to have disappeared. If one works uptown, it is possible to rely on the bus system. I would like to think that it is possible to take a bus into town to see a play, go for a pub crawl, or just to walk around after normal business hours and not rely on Uber.  Also, we have handicapped and elderly people here as well that need to get to the doctor's office or the hair dresser, etc.  When I moved to town, we even had the "Party" buses at the Galway Hooker that have relocated.  I enjoy living where I do and have no desire to move; however, when I saw the house I (my wife) liked when looking everywhere for a permanent  settlement,  we were impressed by the walkability of our present community and the plans to have a light rail. It was pretty thematic for me that those plans went down the drain.  

Finally, when I was growing up, my family moved regularly in the metro area (westside). We lived on Rozzell's Ferry Road, Tuckaseegee Road (way out) , Grandin Road (Wesley Heights), Westchester, Westerly Hills, and other areas that are considered as "poorer" areas today.   Trust me, they weren't luxurious when I lived there. These areas haven't changed that much over the years. Most are reasonably well kept. We had less amenities then than there are today. Transportation wise, these areas seem to be well served in regard to buses, etc. It is possible that the limiting factor today in regard to retail or transportation is the crime factor. Public money should be used as an incentive to reward positive community actions, not a pay-off for degradation or status quo conditions.  Those that pay the most taxes should certainly see substantial return on their contribution.  I support for equal opportunity for "all," not necessarily the government's version.  My point, we all need better transportation options. Let's take a serious look at actual needs and eliminate the politics and placation normally part of making changes or improvements. 

That’s a shame, I loveddd those buses. The village riders or something. Literally got me everywhere I wanted in LKN + they just do an exceptional job with sidewalks everywhere, the neighborhoods connect to multiple roads, etc. Plus there was plenty of recreation access to the lakes, the buses were frequent, adequate shelters. I had a car and still just liked taking the bus at that time. Clean, safe, reliable, frequent, cross walks, sidewalks. 

IMG_1520.thumb.png.927987843c2a77962787a385555c6ab9.png

I said in another thread, LKN is just built so well for good mass transit. In general, I always think LKN is just so greatly built.  If the Village Riders disappeared, hopefully they bring it back in the future. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 9:01 AM, Larry Singer said:

I could be banned for speaking the truth.

Quit playing the victim Larry. Either say what you mean or STFU. If your speech is really ‘the truth’ then it should be easy to defend what you say with evidence. If your snowflakey worst fears materialize and you do get banned, I am sure Larry Singer 2 is still available. What exactly are you worried about?

[quote lifted from baseball thread]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 12:51 PM, Larry Singer said:

You really don't know?  LOL.  I would explain, but I don't want to start a liberal cat fight. 

You puzzle me Larry. You outed yourself as a blatant racist upthread, yet you are too much of a pu33y to attempt to defend your views. Stop playing the victim by pretending that the only reason you can't speak your mind is because of 'wokeism'. Your dog whistling  is pointless, go do your klan recruiting elsewhere.

Edit:After I quoted his original response (above) Larry deleted his original post (just above this one) as he often does. The quote he was responding to has been pasted below:

On 8/17/2023 at 11:11 AM, kermit said:

Cool.  I lived in North Georgia for more than a decade, perhaps we frequented some of the same Buford Highway taco joints? Unfortunately my experience living in Atlanta  doesn't help me understand why you think donald and his co-conspirators can’t get a fair trial in Fulton County. Do Fulton County residents somehow not have (or deserve) the right to hold people who attempt to steal their votes to account in a court of law?

Just trying to understand your point of view here.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Larry Singer said:

I can't say what I mean. It isn't woke enough.  How do you think I am playing a "victim." That's pretty mindless. 

Maybe you could slightly tailor your message around certain audiences. Not in a way that compromises your beliefs.

I get it. There certain areas I too moderate myself in a way. Whether at home or at work but true to myself. I have to be extremely delicate, ignore certain things that I know are false, and put on little kids gloves with some posters and even things that aren’t even critical, it’ll drive some people bonkers just because I live in DC. I won’t even allude to it at all and for no reason I get whacked with the “oh, now you moved on you think youre good. Well here’s a random list of why DC sucks” Oh, ok…. 

But I have a reason I post so I just gotta get over those who are just gonna be driven crazy because they’re “my city is better, no mine is, I have a bigger dong, no I do” type people. I’m more ideologically driven but not to a point in doesn’t make sense. So yes, I’ll still be a progressive Lib in say Austin but I’d be fine with certain things I wouldn’t be in say San Francisco. Because progress is progress. But I’m interested in the progress of Charlotte, others aren’t. Some are focused on stats, I’m interested in reality. Some people care about developers, I’m interested in the neighborhood, civic policies, mobility and not just skyscraper height. Not just one area. But all of inner city.

My point is. You’re on here for a reason but I honestly don’t really know your angle. I assume you somehow like urbanity and it’d be great to have your perspective. I’m not sure how all of your beliefs coincides with urbanity because I believe in higher regulations, strong government investments, etc rather than hands off.  And especially in NC, I think it’s important to have your opinion. So hopefully you find more opportunities to constructively share your opinion. 

I too get bothered by certain things you do and I’m far left, so I get it. But come on. Share your views and just ignore that politics when it’s like. No urban related. 

just saying 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, kermit said:

What that article, and every other one I have read on the subject ignore is the RWNJ’s in Raleigh are blantantly violating Article II, Section 5 (item 4) of the NC Constitution:

I guess Republican’s only give a crap about the constitution when it suits them. They all took an oath to uphold the Constitution.
#Faschsts

the full document can be found here: https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegislation/Constitution/NCConstitution.html

The Democrats should have convinced us that we need to trust their judgements. This country is now perfect under the great leadership of Biden and Harris. We are the envy of the world. I am also proud that President Biden has proven time after time to possess the integrity, and loyalty to the constitution to continue his great leadership into his 100s. I am ashamed that the republicans want to set up districts based on population and not race like the democrats have done and gotten by with for many years. And democrats, remember, all people are equal, and we don't need to set up districts based on race.  You wouldn't want to appear as racists.  Have a nice day everyone. 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allthingsplanes said:

You are such an idiot and just blinding yourself to the truth or something.  To say that the Republicans want to draw districts based only on population is wildly false.  They are making no bones about the fact that this is straight up political.  This state has been close to 50/50 at the presidential level for many years, yet a 10-4 balance for congressional districts is "fair".

I'm O.K. with your thinking that I am blinding myself to the truth or something. I'm not sure what something is, but I'm O.K. with it.  I just hope that elections in the future are monitored and regulated without bias unlike in the past. I look forward to our next elections finally reflecting . 

Edited by Larry Singer
  • Like 1

What the "F" are you talking about? Are you stoned? What is the "Big Lie?" Who is the hater of Constitutions (by the way there is only one) What about the second amendment? Finally, it would be better if you didn't attempt speaking to impress. Making a sensible statement or asking a "clear" question is more important. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kermit said:

I may or may not have accidentally spilled a little bongwater as I read your post but are you sure you want to stick with the “only one constitution” thing? 

Seriously, no, I don't. Neither one of us will change the world or even make a dent in it. I just enjoy chatting with other friendly souls. I've served my country, voted, paid taxes, and done my part. From the look of things, I've wasted all that time, and for what?  The country for which I have fought in the name of freedom and peace is praising the wonder, peaceful Nazi like Palestinians that have no issue killing good, innocent people anywhere in the world. I have also wasted time in the midst of their terrorism. What constitution? Where is my bong? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Boy oh boy.

Go ahead and continue to vilify an entire group of people - how very genocidal of you. 

Wow! Talk about "not" being specific. Who is the "entire group of people" that I "vilify?" Where does genocide come into the picture? Can you find Gaza on a map? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kermit said:

You are clearly not the only one who has done those things, many others who have done the same have different opinions. What is the source of your disappointment that the remainder of the country does not echo your worldview?

Those that have done what I have done are predominately patriotic Americans and have no tolerance for neo-Nazis, wokeism, or hate based on color and not behavior, and the general ignorance of history and geography seen in the U.S. They also believe that when a country is indiscriminately attacked without provocation, the sensible reaction is retaliation.  

• Like 2