Columbus Village at Town Center (Cancelled)

HRVA

Looks like they just added some lipstick...really cheap lipstick. Oh and urbanvb, I'm sure it will be approved. 

Why not eliminate some of the parking and add some gathering spaces? Make it connect to the Town Center just not in name alone. Force people to park in one of the many free garages and heaven forbid interact with another human. 

• Like 2

So...the city that insists on calling this part of the city "downtown" has bookended the skyline with two strip malls, instead of building a tower or two that could have had retail on the ground floor. A Barnes and Noble on the first floor of the next office tower would've been a nice addition. I really don't see much difference between this and what's on that corner now. This is odd, even by Virginia Beach standards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 23320 said:

Renderings for the renovation of the B&N space. Interesting that the flyer specifies no restaurants. Also, FYE closed its location in Columbus Village along with two other locations in the region. CD0E1731-6FDA-4D07-84FD-9A17F9B54D68.thumb.jpeg.bc9068b1fdc77bc60415512760185705.jpeg

Ugh how boring, uninspired. Hey, do you have a link? Thx.

A/H conference call transcript. VBTC---Fast casual up, specialty retail$$ struggling... but holding on. More...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4239132-armada-hoffler-properties-ahh-ceo-lou-haddad-fourth-quarter-2018-earnings-conference-call

This hasn’t been through planning yet and may not get approved. This wouldn’t be happening if the city had agreed to move city hall to Town Center. Weak, ineffectual, leadership provided by people afraid of their own shadow is what got us here. Norfolk continues to be big and bold, Va. Beach....well....it is a surburb and will probably always be exactly that...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NFKjeff said:

I think the little peice of structure we see in the lower right corner of the third rendering  is part of Shake Shack.

Yes, Indeed! 

2 minutes ago, vdogg said:

This hasn’t been through planning yet and may not get approved. This wouldn’t be happening if the city had agreed to move city hall to Town Center. Weak, ineffectual, leadership provided by people afraid of their own shadow is what got us here. Norfolk continues to be big and bold, Va. Beach....well....it is a surburb and will probably always be exactly that...

Well, I agree generally speaking relative to the trajectories of both cities, but many here see this (my) Norfolk City Council as less pro-dev or pro-business than the last several Councils. 

As for VB, here's hoping Dave Hansen has a job for life, Mayor Dyer continues to surprise us in a good way, and that Moss & his young protégée are forever out-voted.

When has a shopping center renovation ever had to go through planning? This doesn’t need city approval except for funding of the streetscape improvements.

I came across the Klaff Realty (sold the center to Armada Hoffler) page and they signed 10-year leases to Ulta & Five Below in 2013. Coupled with options, it could be awhile before those stores leave, stalling the type of development we’d all like to see here. 

The Town Center FB page has also stated that David’s Bridal is moving into a 10,000 SF space - likely FYE’s location. 

5 hours ago, 23320 said:

When has a shopping center renovation ever had to go through planning? This doesn’t need city approval except for funding of the streetscape improvements.

I came across the Klaff Realty (sold the center to Armada Hoffler) page and they signed 10-year leases to Ulta & Five Below in 2013. Coupled with options, it could be awhile before those stores leave, stalling the type of development we’d all like to see here. 

The Town Center FB page has also stated that David’s Bridal is moving into a 10,000 SF space - likely FYE’s location. 

Is Columbus Village not under the same B3A zoning as Town Center proper? Everything has to go through planning, even small developments. Those that involve city money or a rezoning goes through the planning commission hearing process and subsequent City Council approval. All others do not have to go the hearing route, but still need to have designs submitted to planning for approval. Even shopping centers.

I mean, even 7/11 goes through planning.

Screenshot_20190208-194313.png

By planning I meant planning commission. And yes the site plan has already been filed with the planning department. The department doesn’t have a lot of authority - especially when we’re talking about renovating an existing building with no change in use. They may require tweaks but  I wouldn’t expect anything as a similar project happened to the same building just six years ago with the same rules in place. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Cava, a Mediterranean fast casual restaurant, is the first announced tenant for the renovated B&N. B&N closed last week for the renovation and will reopen in the fall. Cava will be located in the corner space closest to Shake Shack. 

7 hours ago, 23320 said:

Cava, a Mediterranean fast casual restaurant, is the first announced tenant for the renovated B&N. B&N closed last week for the renovation and will reopen in the fall. Cava will be located in the corner space closest to Shake Shack. 

Hey, do you have a link? I can't seem to find the press release! Thanks.

• 11 months later...

Changes could be coming sooner than expected to this site.

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/vp-bz-armada-hoffler-earnings-20200430-z4hdujnwirbu7nataj6hx4varq-story.html

Armada Hoffler addressed concerns about its leases with Regal Cinemas and Bed Bath and Beyond, both the only tenants in the Columbus Village II in Virginia Beach that the company bought in late 2016 to eventually expand Town Center’s footprint.

“The current crisis may well give us the opportunity to unlock the full potential of this site sooner than we had anticipated," Haddad said.

Edited by urbanvb
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, urbanvb said:

Changes could be coming sooner than expected to this site.

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/vp-bz-armada-hoffler-earnings-20200430-z4hdujnwirbu7nataj6hx4varq-story.html

Armada Hoffler addressed concerns about its leases with Regal Cinemas and Bed Bath and Beyond, both the only tenants in the Columbus Village II in Virginia Beach that the company bought in late 2016 to eventually expand Town Center’s footprint.

“The current crisis may well give us the opportunity to unlock the full potential of this site sooner than we had anticipated," Haddad said.

This is a good time for these businesses to cut their losses and let go of some properties like this. That would be a good thing for some of the suburban things around the Town Center to fail and open up land for redevelopment.

• Like 1

The earnings call this past week gave us a hint of what they plan there and it sounds like more multi-family.  I would be surprised if we saw anything in Town Center for a couple of years due to the fact that all of their current projects are on hold and they get some funding for construction through issuing new shares, which it isn't the best time to be doing that.   I would love to be wrong though.  :D

https://ir.armadahoffler.com/static-files/203dbfa7-9da2-4c88-a115-b7b0412706f9

"These are the only tenants on this 10-acre site, which we envision as prime for multi-family development."

The Bed Bath and Beyond has apparently been doing pretty well at Town Center, although the source is a little out of date.

https://ir.armadahoffler.com/static-files/6261a5d4-7839-44a5-a8bb-a95273fc3ff1

"We understand that the center that we have here next to Town Center is one of their best performing stores in the state."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...