Winter Garden/Ocoee/Oakland Projects

spenser1058

FDOT is trying to add a Turnpike interchange at FL545/ Avalon as part of the upcoming widening. Very few like the idea.

It’s nice to see city government actually saying something. If it were Orlando, they’d just say, “please sir, may I have some more?”

One of the big knocks on I4 from planners and just about everyone else is that it has too many exits, so of course now FDOT wants to do the same to the Turnpike.

I wonder when we’ll find out which developer is pushing this. 

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/avalon-residents-learn-details-of-proposed-turnpike-project

From The West Orange Times Observer 
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 10:16 AM, codypet said:

TPK IIRC hasn't put a new interchange in this area in the last 20 yrs that wasn't developer driven.  Kissimmee Park Road, Minneola, I can't think of any others that are new.

Exactly,  perhaps to relieve some traffic from 50, and the nearby interchanges. This area has grown so much.

Longtime WG City Manager Mike Bollhoefer is leaving to take a job in Virginia. He and his predecessor Hollis Holden have been the most effective city officials I have ever known.

They were responsible, along with FFO’s the Ropers and Chicones plus an awful lot of everyday folks in taking downtown Winter Garden from a dump to the incredibly special place we know today. In the best sense of the word, they “got” it.

Here’s wishing Mike the best of success. Btw, @dcluley98 will be glad to know he’s a Gator!

Winter Garden’s manager Bollhoefer to exit Nov. 12
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orange-winter-garden-bollhoefer-20211019-77rfbrtlanelddph36iauzdidy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

(I have to chuckle when I think, unlike a certain mayor who’s stayed far too long, Mike hasn’t stayed nearly long enough! We can only hope we’ll get lucky and his successor will be nearly as awesome.)

Edited by spenser1058

On the subject of the proposed turnpike interchange on Avalon/545. One of the bummers is that it would heavily impact Tucker Ranch which is a newer park  that Winter Garden and the community have devoted resources to recently. I have not visited but does seem a tough pill to swallow for a road which seems to really support mostly local trips.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ocoee projects are busting out as the city and Cousin Rusty are almost to the 50,000 mark.

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/forecast-fifteen-minutes-from-everywhere-city-center-west-orange-phase-1-opening-delayed-to-2024

”Ocoee - The Metropolis of Good Living”

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

Oakland is having an election March 8 for Seat 1 of the Town Commission. If you live in the district, make sure you’re registered to vote there at least 30 days prior:

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/one-seat-on-oakland-ballot

Oakland’s been punching way above its weight lately with all sorts of new projects, so make sure and vote if you qualify.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Lake County seems to have stepped up the entertainment level- Clermont officials looking to shut down popular restaurant over allegations of adult entertainment – WFTV

"allegations of adult entertainment and nudity, as well as allegations of a sex act being performed in the middle of an all-male revue."

when harry met sally ill have what shes having GIF

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

The Hangry Bison’s outpost in WG has opened on Plant St. (might this be the most pedestrian/cyclist friendly stretch in Central Florida?) and Scott J reports it’s bigger than the WPV original with lots of outdoor seating (and outdoor adjacent) and the food’s every bit as good as the original:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5969-hangry-bison-winter-garden

Get Hangry!

On 10/13/2021 at 4:54 PM, spenser1058 said:

FDOT is trying to add a Turnpike interchange at FL545/ Avalon as part of the upcoming widening. Very few like the idea.

It’s nice to see city government actually saying something. If it were Orlando, they’d just say, “please sir, may I have some more?”

One of the big knocks on I4 from planners and just about everyone else is that it has too many exits, so of course now FDOT wants to do the same to the Turnpike.

I wonder when we’ll find out which developer is pushing this. 

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/avalon-residents-learn-details-of-proposed-turnpike-project

my comment is late to the game, but, I looked at the map...this is a good location for an interchange IMO.  you could get to downtown WG fast from DTO using that exit.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:03 PM, AmIReal said:

Lake County seems to have stepped up the entertainment level- Clermont officials looking to shut down popular restaurant over allegations of adult entertainment – WFTV

"allegations of adult entertainment and nudity, as well as allegations of a sex act being performed in the middle of an all-male revue."

if they close down, they should reopen at The Villages and off of Edgewater Drive up near Hanks.  They will really help to create a bona fide smut (fun) entertainment corridor on Edgewater, and, at The Villages, well, a male review there...a lot of tip money to be made...

• Like 3

I’m very excited about WG voting unanimously to bump Joe Williams up to City Manager, subject to finalizing his contract. 

He’s been in the role the last few months since his predecessor left and, so far, fits right in with the Winter Garden way of preserving its trees and history in the downtown core while working with developers on new projects that fit in with what the community has accomplished so far.

He’s also worked with the commission on plans to emphasize the restoration of the city’s east side. So far, the residents support the things the city would like to do.

Compare that to Parramore certainly, and especially to the way many small towns operate. A big part of it is that WG long ago bought into the concept of organic growth in the core, getting buy-in from the citizens before moving forward.

As things stand, it’s three in a row home run picks for WG city managers. In a city with a manager-council form of government that’s highly unusual. 

Next up will be preparing for diverse candidates in the role and getting the city to tiptoe into the kind of broad support for the LGBTQ+ community (as well as others) that has worked well in the African-American community.

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/jon-williams-approved-as-winter-gardens-city-manager

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

301 apartments plus 20,000sf commercial space approved west of Ocoee-Apopka Rd and north of Crown Point .

Trees along the West Orange Trail will be affected but the developer is promising to save as many as possible (yes, we know about the developer track record on that, right?)

Oh well, I’ll just have to give Cousin Rusty a call and see can if he can ask staff to  help birddog it!

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/apartments-retail-approved-in-ocoee

Edited by spenser1058

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

301 apartments plus 20,000sf commercial space approved west of Ocoee-Apopka Rd and north of Crown Point .

Trees along the West Orange Trail will be affected but the developer is promising to save as many as possible (yes, we know about the developer track record on that, right?)

Oh well, I’ll just have to give Cousin Rusty a call and see can if he can ask staff to  help birddog it!

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/apartments-retail-approved-in-ocoee

If it makes you feel better, trees to be saved will be outlined prior to construction and may be as part of the approval. 

1 minute ago, jack said:

If it makes you feel better, trees to be saved will be outlined prior to construction and may be as part of the approval. 

After what happened to the tree downtown, I trust no one with access to a bulldozer or a saw for that matter. I hope you’re right.

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

After what happened to the tree downtown, I trust no one with access to a bulldozer or a saw for that matter. I hope you’re right.

Okay.

Spenser, you seem to know everything or a whole hec of a lot.

When taking I guess Plant street westbound past West Oaks Mall heading towards Winter Garden...I'm not sure of the road now...about ten years back...when you looked south beyond the tree line there was what appeared to be a power station or factory and the vertical portions of it looks like stainless steel or steel and looked very sci-fi; you didn't see that every day.  like a refinery or something- may in and around Ocoee in that inbetween area.

Do you know what I'm referring to?