Winter Garden/Ocoee/Oakland Projects

spenser1058

Scott J reminds us just how wonderful the Chef’s Table at the Edgewater Hotel remains. It’s the crown jewel of Winter Garden dining and the historic setting makes it so much more special than a sterile high rise would be.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/4898-chef-s-table-at-the-edgewater

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Bed Bath & Beyond to lay off 337 at its West Oaks call center as the chain also reduces its store count (so far, the nearest retail closure is Tampa):

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-worker-adjustment-retraining-notification-20200623-nufebnb5ffeqhp5ufszxrm6fdy-story.html

From the Sentinel 

I always found BB&B completely unremarkable and a perfect example of why you might as well shop online. Target has infinitely more panache.

• 4 weeks later...

Once upon a time before it was destroyed by runoff and untreated sewage released into it, Lake Apopka was one of the finest bass fishing lakes in the country.

The Lakeview Lodge Apartments in Winter Garden was just one of twenty fish camps along the lake.

Today the Lodge is still there, owned by the City. Eventually it will be used to connect two existing city parks.

https://www.orangeobserver.com/photo-gallery/first-tales-the-story-behind-lakeview-fishing-lodge-in-winter-garden

From The West Orange Observer 

96-bed ALF coming to Silver Star Rd. In Ocoee:

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/ocoee-commission-approves-final-plans-for-96-bed-assisted-living-facility

From The West Orange Observer

• 1 month later...

WUCF checks out the history of Winter Garden, including the Edgewater Hotel and the Garden Theater. They were beyond repair, until they weren’t. Founding Families like the Chicones and the Ropers saw what Mayor Bill and others were doing with downtown Orlando and wanted to do the same for Winter Garden.

They’ve been successful beyond their wildest dreams unlike downtown Orlando, which drifted. Why the difference? Because in Winter Garden, the families, the politicians they elected and the city managers they hired CARED and still do. Unlike the folks running Orlando these days who think Gordon Gekko is a role model.

Since spenser has decided to block my post I'll ask the board in general. Does anyone here consider downtown WG to be more successful than downtown Orlando? If so, in what ways?

I honestly do not mean this as an attack. I'd just really like to know some peoples perspectives and spenser is not going to reply...

14 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Since spenser has decided to block my post I'll ask the board in general. Does anyone here consider downtown WG to be more successful than downtown Orlando? If so, in what ways?

I honestly do not mean this as an attack. I'd just really like to know some peoples perspectives and spenser is not going to reply...

I personally think it's an apples to oranges comparison since Downtown Orlando is much larger than Downtown Winter Garden and both have experienced very different growing pains. Winter Garden has done great work in revitalizing its corridor with the West Orange Trail, keeping its historic charm while allowing for new development. I do believe the City of Orlando can implement similar practices in its Main streets and neighborhood districts though.  Downtown Orlando could find an approach of establishing and focusing on a retail district using some similar placemaking practices, but would have to include more amenities and larger retail establishments, imo. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 12:34 PM, aleonrivera said:

I personally think it's an apples to oranges comparison since Downtown Orlando is much larger than Downtown Winter Garden and both have experienced very different growing pains. Winter Garden has done great work in revitalizing its corridor with the West Orange Trail, keeping its historic charm while allowing for new development. I do believe the City of Orlando can implement similar practices in its Main streets and neighborhood districts though.  Downtown Orlando could find an approach of establishing and focusing on a retail district using some similar placemaking practices, but would have to include more amenities and larger retail establishments, imo. 

Very good points. I also don't think you can compare them to each other. Downtown WG is more comparable to downtown Orlando in the 1950s. WG is more appropriately compared to downtowns such as Sanford, Deland, Eustis, etc. None of those downtowns have the demand to build large scale projects in their core. It will be interesting to see how those small towns hold on to their past if demand ever catches up to them.

I keep asking posters on this forum that want to see retail downtown what specific type retail they want and where specifically they think it should be. Posters here have said a bike repair shop and a hardware store. OBJ and DDB have both done surveys of downtown residents and they more typically want to see service type retail (dry cleaners, barbers, etc) and not what most of us call retail (typical mall offerings). My vote would be more/ better food choices, but the rent prices are so high restaurants make more money off booze than food- so you end up with low end food places slinging lots of alcohol.

Where would you envision a retail district and what vendors would you expect to be in it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Proposed mixed-use development on S. Dillard St. in WG (on the old Church of God property between Story Rd. and Cypress Ave. will bring much-needed office space close to downtown and revitalize the very ‘60’s corridor (now they just need that stretch of Dillard to go on a road diet...)

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/10/05/new-homes-office-to-rise-in-winter-garden.html

From OBJ 

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Winter Garden and the West Orange Healthcare District Will partner to build a health and wellness park on the Tucker Ranch. It will be connected to the WOT along Avalon Road:

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/winter-garden-healthcare-district-partner-for-tucker-ranch

From West Orange Times 

This is great but is that article saying that they will be building a spur of the West Orange Trail across 50 down Avalon and even extend South towards Horizon West? If that's the case, they kind of buried the lead there, no?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tim3167 said:

This is great but is that article saying that they will be building a spur of the West Orange Trail across 50 down Avalon and even extend South towards Horizon West? If that's the case, they kind of buried the lead there, no?

Great point! I was confused about that and hoping @dcluley98 or @Jolly Roger's Crackers or one of our other trail gurus might know something about it.