Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Well, there’s one. When you think of all the iconic architecture firms that helped build America, the one that owns Orlando is an adventure in meh. We love visors said no one since Spurrier left the Gators.

I don't mind visors on buildings.

It's the quality of what's underneath them that I care about, 

19 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

There is a big difference between the ideas of "save the tree" and "that particular building design sucks" vs. "let's build this street out with great projects". (It's obviously all Buddy Dyer, Baker Barrios and greedy developers' fault)

Except Zoi House doesn't suck. Looks nicer than Golden Sparrow or whatever the hell they're calling it these days lol.

spacer.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Except Zoi House doesn't suck. Looks nicer than Golden Sparrow or whatever the hell they're calling it these days lol.

It's not that the look and design of Zoi House sucks IMO.

It's a very good  looking design AFAIC.

I think it's just too big for that corner. 

I'd like to see a significant building go up there.... 15 to 20 stories, but one that does not require the demolition of the building next door to the south and one that could hopefully build around or somehow spare the tree.  

47 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

It's not that the look and design of Zoi House sucks IMO.

It's a very good  looking design AFAIC.

I think it's just too big for that corner. 

I'd like to see a significant building go up there.... 15 to 20 stories, but one that does not require the demolition of the building next door to the south and one that could hopefully build around or somehow spare the tree.  

Well, the way the podium of Zoi House was designed I'm pretty sure they utilized a zero lot line design to encourage similar large-scale redevelopment of that entire block in the future.

@spenser1058 I'm just waiting for Buddy to give the secret signal and I'll have the bulldozer/backhoe ready to demolish that corner at the stroke of midnight.

spacer.png      then       spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That tree won’t be on the chopping block anytime soon. Zoi House is practically dead at this point. It’s no longer listed on the developer’s website. City of Orlando is just not in the loop. It’ll probably be a good bit before anything new is proposed for that location.

Tree lovers rejoice!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Well, the way the podium of Zoi House was designed I'm pretty sure they utilized a zero lot line design to encourage similar large-scale redevelopment of that entire block in the future.

@spenser1058 I'm just waiting for Buddy to give the secret signal and I'll have the bulldozer/backhoe ready to demolish that corner at the stroke of midnight.

then       

Well, that would be fine with me if the zero lot line in question was just that of the empty parcel and if some provision were made for the tree.

But it also required the demo of a nice little building housing an Italian restaurant next door. 

And of course, the tree. 

I would be happy if Zoi never sees the light of day.

Would love to see something of a more appropriate scale there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Well, that would be fine with me if the zero lot line in question was just that of the empty parcel and if some provision were made for the tree.

But it also required the demo of a nice little building housing an Italian restaurant next door. 

And of course, the tree. 

I would be happy if Zoi never sees the light of day.

Would love to see something of a more appropriate scale there.

An appropriate sized building is critical. We learned that lesson with both the old Courthouse Annex and the Church Street Ballroom, both of which were diminished by looking like Lane Bryant models in junior size dresses (or *shivers* me in a Speedo) because the lots were too small for what was built. We can do better and SAVE THE TREE.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 4:55 PM, dcluley98 said:

Perhaps someone with more clout such as @ChiDev and Ustler care. 

ChiDev definitely seems to care and "get it" so I hope that my shouting out into the universe about a stupid tree is heard by somebody more important than me. 

Flattered you think I am important.  My captain planet credentials seem somewhat lacking, but I can tell you that @dcluley98is right about bothering the planning commission.  

My betting odds would be that the only savable path forward for "The Tree" is a strong push from the community on the zoning board, followed by the ZB demanding a future developer move the tree.

The land seller wants too much $$$ psf for the tree to be saved ON SITE.  Quite simply anyone who buys that plot will need every available sf for structure by my quick math.

That said, I have moved historic homes in Raleigh, dug up and preserved archeological items in Colorado, and have even moved a land seller's father's casket and headstone.   --> Moving the tree is absolutely do-able and should be demanded.

Sorry my answer doesn't involve some creative architect-solution, I've always built MF/Senior - I think it would take a high end Apple store or something to do so.

On a separate note, we will have big news coming RE Radius' retail that I am sure you all will like.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ChiDev said:

Flattered you think I am important.  My captain planet credentials seem somewhat lacking, but I can tell you that @dcluley98is right about bothering the planning commission.  

My betting odds would be that the only savable path forward for "The Tree" is a strong push from the community on the zoning board, followed by the ZB demanding a future developer move the tree.

The land seller wants too much $$$ psf for the tree to be saved ON SITE.  Quite simply anyone who buys that plot will need every available sf for structure by my quick math.

That said, I have moved historic homes in Raleigh, dug up and preserved archeological items in Colorado, and have even moved a land seller's father's casket and headstone.   --> Moving the tree is absolutely do-able and should be demanded.

Sorry my answer doesn't involve some creative architect-solution, I've always built MF/Senior - I think it would take a high end Apple store or something to do so.

On a separate note, we will have big news coming RE Radius' retail that I am sure you all will like.

My god do I hope it’s a Greenwise.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Given that 99% of what they sell isn’t healthy, I almost invariably walked the extra couple of blocks to Publix instead. But that’s just me.

I'd be willing to wager that 7 Eleven's microwave burritos, beef jerky and Doritos are every bit as healthy as Publix's. 

21 hours ago, ChiDev said:

The folks at Lake Nona move trees all the time. Definitely doable but costly. If the developer could get an incentive to move it, like air rights or something similar, it may make sense. Or an offset of park impact fees if the project is residential. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 5:08 PM, dcluley98 said:

It may not matter to others, but I tried to Save the Tree. 

On 8/14/2021 at 5:55 PM, dcluley98 said:

Perhaps someone with more clout such as @ChiDev and Ustler care. 

ChiDev definitely seems to care and "get it" so I hope that my shouting out into the universe about a stupid tree is heard by somebody more important than me. 

On 8/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, Uncommon said:

That tree won’t be on the chopping block anytime soon. Zoi House is practically dead at this point. It’s no longer listed on the developer’s website. City of Orlando is just not in the loop. It’ll probably be a good bit before anything new is proposed for that location.

Tree lovers rejoice!

1 hour ago, jack said:

The folks at Lake Nona move trees all the time. Definitely doable but costly. If the developer could get an incentive to move it, like air rights or something similar, it may make sense. Or an offset of park impact fees if the project is residential. 

I finally sent an email to the list of city officials @dcluley98 provided.

To whom it may concern:

There is a beautiful old oak tree on the empty parcel at the SE corner of Orange and Livingston. A group of Orlando residents, myself included, are concerned that it will likely get bulldozed for the sake of some future development. 

We feel the City of Orlando could and should utilize local tree ordinances to protect it and possibly even persuade developers to move it.

I feel a good location would be the NW corner of the lot, where if could be incorporated into any new development plans. 

These old oak trees are part of what makes Orlando "The City Beautiful". 

Just cutting them down when they cause an inconvenience to some commercial real estate developer is not in the best interest of our city.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

• Like 3

Yes, I got a response from the city saying it would take probably a year to prepare estimates and think about moving it, whether it is worth the cost, and where to move it to, where the money would be coming from, etc. 

Not holding my breath, but it seems we got some attention, which is all I really could ask for.  They know we care, and it seems they care too, it is down to the feasibility and the money. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4