Woodland Mall to get $100 Million makeover

GVSUChris

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

And with that...Sears is done. No way it survives much longer.

They will be selling Craftsman tools royalty free for the next 15 years.  They aren't losing the brand on the shelves.  That deal isn't going to have an effect on their customer base anytime soon.  Although there's no way they survive unless they adopt new formatting and get the shopping public to view them in a different way ( or remember they are even there to begin with).

39 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

I'm surprised Stanley would pay that much for it.  Sears house brands used to have great reputations, but it seems to me that most of that brand equity has been squandered over the last decade or so.  Craftsman now is largely a bunch of rebadged Chinese imports.  When I think of buying a quality product, I certainly don't think of Craftsman anymore.  It wasn't entirely the fault of Sears that this happened since the domestic supply chain basically died off.  The hand tools have gone to crap, the toolboxes are junk, and the power tools and power equipment are mostly a bunch of relabeled who-knows-whats.  Used to be worth it because Sears stood behind it and the product line was fairly cohesive.  Today,the product line is a jumbled mess, and buying Craftsman anything is dicey because if anything goes wrong you have to deal with Sears, whose customer service is second to everyone.

Remarkably, Sears has turned into an exercise in making Wal-Mart feel high end.  But maybe that's no surprise when you try to run and maintain the place like a friggin' Kmart.

I suppose I'm a little surprised Sears is doing all of this maneuvering outside of a Chapter 11.  Maybe its a pride thing?  I'm a little sad to see the store close, since I will probably never set foot in any of the stores that replace it, but on balance, probably a good thing to see it replaced.  Underutilized doesn't even begin to describe it...

2 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

This is the big one for me, I always forget about sears as a potentially viable alternative.  But with specialty stores doing everything that they do, but better, its not a surpise

They rapidly started to lose relevancy sometime in the 90's, along with their sister brand.  Peoples shopping habits changed,  they no longer think to go to one of them when they need to grab something like they used to.  Even if they are uncool the big boxes are still the most mainstream and convenient form the public uses to stay supplied.  I don't think I've ever seen a brand be able to regain a part of the publics routine once they have faded.

3 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

Damn, that's right.  Short-term gain, long-term loss as a result of desperation.  What a shame.  Sears is really circling the drain at this point, aren't they?

... and before you start feeling at all sorry for Sears the corporation (I feel bad for the local employees who will end up out of work) read this article:

David Vs. Goliath - Stealing Innovation

29 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

So Von Maur, REI, Dick's or Golf Galaxy and The Container Store.

I had to look up The Container Store because I thought it would be some sarcastically named store. Nope, just containers, containers everywhere.

IMG_3066.JPG

My wife loves that store. She makes me make a special trip out to the burbs in Chicago whenever we're there.

Keep in mind that none of this has been confirmed yet, other than a "high end department store has been signed to replace Sears" which I think many are in agreement is a Von Maur. PREIT pulled the floorplan from their website that showed the smaller store lineup. 

8 hours ago, x99 said:

I'm surprised Stanley would pay that much for it.  Sears house brands used to have great reputations, but it seems to me that most of that brand equity has been squandered over the last decade or so.  Craftsman now is largely a bunch of rebadged Chinese imports.

I think I've heard that a lot of Craftsman products are just rebranded Stanley products already.

16 hours ago, WMrapids said:

So Von Maur, REI, Dick's or Golf Galaxy and The Container Store.

I had to look up The Container Store because I thought it would be some sarcastically named store. Nope, just containers, containers everywhere.

IMG_3066.JPG

My OCD is sofa king excited for the potential of having a Container Store closer than Chicago burbs. Organization will set you free!

16 hours ago, getemngo said:

I noticed that the PREIT maps list everything new as "proposed" except for Von Maur and the expanded Apple store - so I assume those two are a done deal, and the rest are works in progress.

That's my understanding. 

2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

My OCD is sofa king excited for the potential of having a Container Store closer than Chicago burbs. Organization will set you free!

I like it way better than IKEA. That place gives me anxiety. I'm not a f**king mouse looking for cheese. :rofl:

On 1/5/2017 at 7:11 AM, GR8scott said:

The only downside I see to those plans is that both Dicks and golf galaxy are already located within five minutes from Woodland, meaning one of them will have an empty store in the area soon. I would much rather see Another new brand to the area brought in!

I agree.  But I bet the SE Dick's would much rather be in a mall location, and PREIT wants a sporting goods anchor tenant for Woodland.  Does REI only like standalone stores?

18 hours ago, getemngo said:

I noticed that the PREIT maps list everything new as "proposed" except for Von Maur and the expanded Apple store - so I assume those two are a done deal, and the rest are works in progress.

It listed Shake Shack & Yard House too.  Both restaurants.

6 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

It listed Shake Shack & Yard House too.  Both restaurants.

Shake Shack just expanded in LA this past year, and super trendy right now.  I don't think their burgers are as life-changing as some claim, but still pretty darn good.

Still, it'd be quite a trendy steal for GR, since we're always the last place to get stuff.  They have barely any presence in the Midwest so far - only Chicago and Minneapolis.

26 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

Shake Shack just expanded in LA this past year, and super trendy right now.  I don't think their burgers are life-changing, but still pretty darn good.

Still, it'd be quite a trendy steal for GR, since we're always the last place to get stuff.  They have barely any presence in the Midwest so far - only Chicago and Minneapolis.

Believe they're opening one in downtown Detroit this year too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mielsonwheels said:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/02/woodland_confirms_von_maur_is.html#incart_river_home

Interior VM.JPG

That's quite a different looking interior for Woodland, they must have a lot to do if Von Maur won't be opening for two years.

If you look at this rendering closely, it matches the rest of the current mall.   I think they want cohesiveness with the addition.

BTW, I like the couple above, window shopping like it's Monroe Avenue circa 1955.

WOO_teavana.jpg

Archived