FWIW: yesterday’s sale of the Denver Broncos (for $4.65 billion) effectively doubled the value of the Panthers but, despite the sale adding $2+ billion (about 12%) to Tepper's net worth overnight, he was demoted to the second wealthiest NFL owner (after Rob Walton, a WalMart heir). 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/broncos-sale-rob-walton-record-price-11654665206

His $2 billion net worth increase kinda puts any losses incurred in Rock Hill into perspective.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, kermit said:

FWIW: yesterday’s sale of the Denver Broncos (for $4.65 billion) effectively doubled the value of the Panthers but, despite the sale adding $2+ billion (about 12%) to Tepper's net worth overnight, he was demoted to the second wealthiest NFL owner (after Rob Walton, a WalMart heir). 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/broncos-sale-rob-walton-record-price-11654665206

His $2 billion net worth increase kinda puts any losses incurred in Rock Hill into perspective.

But he can't really access that $2 billion unless he sells stake in the team right?

But he can't really access that $2 billion unless he sells stake in the team right?

Pretty sure a lot of his wealth isn’t liquid (cash) assets. I guess his stocks are semi-liquid (little harder to spend but easily transferable to cash). Not sure what the break down of his wealth is and depending on that is how you can dictate the kind of billionaire that person is. Being a billionaire doesn’t always mean that there billions at your disposal. It’s wealth not just money. So yes he can’t really access stores value in assets unless he literally sells it for cash. Though being a billionaire helps get access to a vast pool of funding through loans primarily from financial bodies. (You have wealth to back it up if you can’t actually pay off the loan).
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

Pretty sure a lot of his wealth isn’t liquid (cash) assets. I guess his stocks are semi-liquid (little harder to spend but easily transferable to cash). Not sure what the break down of his wealth is and depending on that is how you can dictate the kind of billionaire that person is. Being a billionaire doesn’t always mean that there billions at your disposal. It’s wealth not just money. So yes he can’t really access stores value in assets unless he literally sells it for cash. Though being a billionaire helps get access to a vast pool of funding through loans primarily from financial bodies. (You have wealth to back it up if you can’t actually pay off the loan).

Most Billionaire's assets definitely aren't liquid.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kermit said:

Contributors here are not your research assistant (or reader). You asked a question and J-Rob provided the answer. Its on you if you are too lazy to click the link (or scroll back in the thread).

So people can say "Even if the city and/or county were at fault?" without giving a explanation of citation? What a joke. 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

So people can say "Even if the city and/or county were at fault?" without giving a explanation of citation? What a joke. 

Feel free to share your disagreement with the statement. (Was Rock Hill not at fault?)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, urbanlover568 said:

"The Tepper defendants spent the Penny Tax Funds for purposes other than the completion of the Mt. Gallant Project," the lawsuit reads. "Upon information and belief, none of the Penny Tax Funds went to its intended purpose. To date, no progress has been made toward the completion of the Mt. Gallant expanded scope."

The lawsuit seeks the full $21 million from Tepper's companies, plus any increased construction costs related to the Mt. Gallant expansion. The suit also seeks lost tax revenue that would've been generated by the training facility. 

• Thanks 4

One day we'll known Tepper's ulterior motives here. Whether it's the beginning of a way to leverage a new stadium and threaten a move or some other issue we aren't even aware of. He and the city/county/state had every incentive to make this thing work. Hell, maybe it's some big tax write off scheme.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

"I don't feel bad for Tepper.  He has plenty of money. At the same time, if he agreed to complete the project under the condition that hundreds of millions of dollars be offset, then he should have received that money. The people I feel worst for in this whole situation are the contractors and construction workers. I hope they are somehow paid in full."

1. I believe they were paid for their time.

2. if anyone is in construction today and is not employed they probably shouldn't be. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DMann said:

"I don't feel bad for Tepper.  He has plenty of money. At the same time, if he agreed to complete the project under the condition that hundreds of millions of dollars be offset, then he should have received that money. The people I feel worst for in this whole situation are the contractors and construction workers. I hope they are somehow paid in full."

1. I believe they were paid for their time.

2. if anyone is in construction today and is not employed they probably shouldn't be. 

Paid for their time worked doesn't mean they aren't getting screwed. Contractors turn down plenty of other work when they take jobs this size and many probably hired additional people. 

• Like 2

The benefit claimed for professional sports facilities is illusory. If one researches "professional sports facilities pay for themselves" or reads one of many posts there from objective authors it may be that Rock Hill realized that the benefit to their taxpayers, not to mention their citizens, from this project within the now rising bond interest environment demonstrated to them what their haste obscured in the original rush to an agreement. I applaud their clarity of thinking. 

Edit: I may be giving them credit unduly, though the result is the same. Perhaps they are frightened rather than rational. 

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Confused 3