45 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Serious question. Why build an entertainment district over the course of, say 10 years, if Tepper also plans to build a new stadium within 10 years.  Am I missing something?

Just from Google earth. You have the power thing taking up a bunch of space, followed by Circa apt then you are encroaching into gateway station. Which tells me the current BOA stadium land is or will be part of the entertainment district in my eyes once it gets razed and the dome gets built across the way. Tep said gateway station will be one day linked by an entertainment district to the stadium. Never specified which stadium lol. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I second that notion.  If this is done right - the City can benefit greatly.  MLS Team HQ could be the catalyst for Eastland Redevelopment.   Connection with Gateway/establishing an Entertainment District would be great but I’m not sure what the city could do to encourage this or if Tepper plans to become a developer as well as Sports team owner.

Tepper seems like he is just as excited about development as he is the sports teams. He basically said that he looked at the area as a blank canvas and is excited about the train station as well. With the Rock Hill development, the Eastland redevelopment, and the planned Entertainment District / Gateway development, I think it is safe to say that Tepper has thrown himself in the development game.

2 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Serious question. Why build an entertainment district over the course of, say 10 years, if Tepper also plans to build a new stadium within 10 years.  Am I missing something?

This says to me that Tepper is committed to Third Ward for the stadium site whether it be extensive renovations to BofA or a new stadium at the Pipe & Foundry site.

The argument for funding is much stronger now with the additional events going on...

A year-round vision for the Stadium:

- At least 10 NFL events per year (8 regular season, 2 preseason, possible post-season, not to mention FanFest) + Super Bowl bid?

- At least 17 MLS events per year + additional soccer events.

- 3 NCAA Football events per year (Kickoff Game, ACC Championship, Bowl Game).

- Multiple major concerts, including 3 already booked for 2020.

- Occasional NCAA Basketball (Final Four) if a roof is added or if a new stadium is built.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

And this is probably 25 events per year if he doesn't want to put smaller non season ticket holder events in Memorial Stadium.

(At least 2 US Open cup games, at least 1 continental Concacaf game, could have 2-3 playoff games, friendly MLS/Europe, and the 2 international cup friendlys already booked) We could easily get a USMNT game or two per year. Atlanta probably won't be able to host with a turf field. Even in a dome/ retractible roof, we need to keep grass. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

This says to me that Tepper is committed to Third Ward for the stadium site whether it be extensive renovations to BofA or a new stadium at the Pipe & Foundry site.

The argument for funding is much stronger now with the additional events going on...

- At least 10 NFL events per year (8 regular season, 2 preseason, possible post-season, not to mention FanFest) + Super Bowl bid?

- Occasional NCAA Basketball (Final Four) if a roof is added or if a new stadium is built.

I get all this, and agree about the increased use of the stadium, but my point is the gateway district doesn't seem all that close to the pipe & foundry site.  Depending on which way you walk, it is over a mile from trade/graham intersection to the pipe & foundry location.  Even as the crow flies it is 2/3rds a mile.  If you look at what the Vikings have done, or what the Braves have done, the whole point of an entertainment district is to build it directly contiguous to the stadium to increase the fan experience.  So if Tepper plans on moving to the Pipe & Foundry site, I don't see how it makes sense to spend a decade building an entertainment district around Gateway.  Now, on the other hand... does this mean Tepper might be leaning toward retrofitting BofA?  I doubt it, but I am not sure how you justify investing tens of millions of dollars to develop one entertainment district only to then move the entertainment district a mile away as the original district is finishing build out.

I am curious if any of our UP urban development journalist have any thoughts or might be interested in doing a story on this? @ricky_davis_fan_21 @Jayvee

Otherwise, Joe Bruno, do you read UP? lol.

This needs follow up in my opinion.  To be clear, I am all for Tepper/MLS/urban development (and even a new stadium at some point), but I just think there are unanswered questions about Tepper and the city's vision for Gateway.

285063968_JoeBruno.thumb.png.fef7554670abdec3d9786630854f5800.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

If by gateway they mean Graham.... the ship has already sailed on that being a lively strip. No way it’s possible at this point. 

I don't think it means graham. I think it means between the current practice fields and Trade, which is basically empty land.

Personally; I’m stoked about 3rd ward (on the other side Of the tracks) get some love.

I would ultimately love for this portion of the city to get the lions share of urban development (and I see a thriving third ward pumping life into arguably the most underrated And neglected urban strip in CLT, Morehead. That area has so much potential to be a NoDa/Plaza/SouthEnd.)

That. And uptown needs to grow yuge. Our urban hoods need to remain human scale and not lose their character.  But this is uptown, underutilized. I’m super excited. 

• Like 2

I think it's well within the realm of possibility to see Gateway (if I'm understanding Gateway right, I'm not up-to-date on it) extending from the Greyhound station down to Graham and MLK, which leaves a pretty clear space for an entertainment district including BofA and the practice fields, and then the new stadium is across Morehead in that big pocket there. Then your entertainment district becomes 3 or 4 blocks and if you fill it in with plazas, a hotel or two, etc. it's easily walkable.

13 minutes ago, Dale said:

Well, since the city has paralyzed development in the First and Second Ward, might as well capitalize on the Third Ward.

Daniel Levine isn't the City's fault.

15 minutes ago, Scribe said:

There is so much room you can slice it 10 different ways.

The general layout is (note: exclude the block with courthouse):

image.thumb.png.b235c4a2942c353c805d36e649237f6c.png

And, yes, the old garage at mint and graham is worth tearing down!

I would extend your line to include the Residence inn & Duke Power, 

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Daniel Levine isn't the City's fault.

I would extend your line to include the Residence inn & Duke Power, 

Yeah, if they could get rid of the duke power maze and the mint parking deck, (circa too would be nice), that gateway district rendering could really come to fruition.

14 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

Tepper seems like he is just as excited about development as he is the sports teams. He basically said that he looked at the area as a blank canvas and is excited about the train station as well. With the Rock Hill development, the Eastland redevelopment, and the planned Entertainment District / Gateway development, I think it is safe to say that Tepper has thrown himself in the development game.

Don't forget occasional superbowl...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

So.... what kind of connections over the RR tracks are we looking at? because right now that's a major connectivity killer.

It's not completely adequate, but that tunnel at the Stadium provides nice connectivity.

And In my previous post, I mentioned Morehead, but honestly. I'm not sure if some of you guys have been through that tunnel near the Panthers stadium, but that area of 3rd ward has a lot of old factory buildings and some great older buildings that we lament the rest of uptown lacks. The old Rail tracks are also a nice historical vibe too.

Honestly, the more I think, 3rd ward (West of the tracks) could be the best place uptown. Mostly because, as we've been disappointed time and time again with new developments, there are older buildings here to create an actual entertainment district we can all enjoy. New developments such as Legacy Union or really any new uptown  developments, just aren't going to deliver us what these old assets in 3rd ward can.

For those who haven't been in this area. Check it out. The greenway (Irwin Creek Greenway? I don't remember the name) is awesome, Frazier Park is nice, etc. There's a nice dog park. I dunno, this stadium and investment is what uptown needs to take it to the next level. Screw Brooklyn Village and North Tryon for now.

Maybe next time I'm in Charlotte, I'll take pictures (Because it was honestly always one of my favorite places even though a little dead. I loved those bars and I loved the greenway, and dog park and taking my nephews to Rays Splash planet, etc.) Or maybe KJ can take some xD lol

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

It's not completely adequate, but that tunnel at the Stadium provides nice connectivity.

And In my previous post, I mentioned Morehead, but honestly. I'm not sure if some of you guys have been through that tunnel near the Panthers stadium, but that area of 3rd ward has a lot of old factory buildings and some great older buildings that we lament the rest of uptown lacks. The old Rail tracks are also a nice historical vibe too.

Honestly, the more I think, 3rd ward (West of the tracks) could be the best place uptown. Mostly because, as we've been disappointed time and time again with new developments, there are older buildings here to create an actual entertainment district we can all enjoy. New developments such as Legacy Union or really any new uptown  developments, just aren't going to deliver us what these old assets in 3rd ward can.

For those who haven't been in this area. Check it out. The greenway (Irwin Creek Greenway? I don't remember the name) is awesome, Frazier Park is nice, etc. There's a nice dog park. I dunno, this stadium and investment is what uptown needs to take it to the next level. Screw Brooklyn Village and North Tryon for now.

Personally I'd like to convert all the land at Pipe & Foundry to a convention and stadium district. Build a world class convention center, with a silver line connection, sell off the convention center land, as well as the Panthers land, and develop both.

59 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

With the practice fields going and all the land around the potential new site:

panthers.png.8d6061524aa04f3598745b55c26f22bf.png

If the stadium is going in that location, there is a ton of potential in the highlighted blue part.  1000 room convention hotel where the Panthers stadium is? 

To go off this picture, the gravel lot on the left between Accrue and Eventys Partners was being surveyed a couple days ago. They also cleared the trees between both lots last week. More than likely not related to an entertainment district but thought it was interesting. Who owns these lots?

51 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Personally I'd like to convert all the land at Pipe & Foundry to a convention and stadium district. Build a world class convention center, with a silver line connection, sell off the convention center land, as well as the Panthers land, and develop both.

Now that more and more of Tepper's plans are coming to be, how long before Pipe & Foundry "decides" to sell? 2020?

Also, the amount of cash that Tepper is spending the past two years....daaaaaumn!  Of course all of this money spent will end up increasing his net worth in the long run. 

12 hours ago, a2theb said:

To go off this picture, the gravel lot on the left between Accrue and Eventys Partners was being surveyed a couple days ago. They also cleared the trees between both lots last week. More than likely not related to an entertainment district but thought it was interesting. Who owns these lots?

Tribute, an apartment developer based out of Wilmington. But I heard they had second thoughts and put it back on the market after they purchased it.