Parks and Rec

drayrichmond

4 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Same. The real beauty of RVA comes from its parks. We could have easily sold off prime real estate that overlooks the river and had million dollar homes surround us anytime we used the river. Instead, we conserved and today they are world class trails for everyone to access and love. I use them 3-5x a week for 2-3 hours at a time biking and hiking. JRPS is the reason I stay in RVA. I'm glad they are not allowing Rockets Landing to get over developed with mini shortpump 2.0 by holding this land and making good public use of it. What great long term vision.

As someone who walks by this daily, I still wish we at least got some development along the streetscape as this is a long stretch of grassy and gravel lots, with little likely-hood of changing.  We need riverside parks but we also need proper connectivity from East End to the city, allowing for pedestrian activity not just during the daylight.  I also wish we allowed some more variation of river amenities (dining, etc.) that cater to those not as interested in fitness and rugged nature (I swim across the river often so clearly not me, lol).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Icetera said:

As someone who walks by this daily, I still wish we at least got some development along the streetscape as this is a long stretch of grassy and gravel lots, with little likely-hood of changing.  We need riverside parks but we also need proper connectivity from East End to the city, allowing for pedestrian activity not just during the daylight.  I also wish we allowed some more variation of river amenities (dining, etc.) that cater to those not as interested in fitness and rugged nature (I swim across the river often so clearly not me, lol).

image.jpeg.fe45c8f92ee6ff7799d5d46911c58cc7.jpeg!!  VEry well said, Ice. 

Not everyone is into hiking, rafting, canoeing, or even walking along nature trails. For those who enjoy it - MAZAL TOV!! May you use it in good health! But for those of us who are not into those things, I'm sorry, but it's not so exciting and definitely not all that high on our urban developmental priority list.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Brent114 said:

But this is an education center which is a new use, not just more hiking or boating :) 

Understood - and it'll be awesome for school field trips, etc. It would've been awesome to have something like this when we were kids (well, I prolly have most of you by a good 20 or more years but you get the point).

It'll be nice to have.

On 4/28/2023 at 4:10 PM, I miss RVA said:

image.jpeg.fe45c8f92ee6ff7799d5d46911c58cc7.jpeg!!  VEry well said, Ice. 

Not everyone is into hiking, rafting, canoeing, or even walking along nature trails. For those who enjoy it - MAZAL TOV!! May you use it in good health! But for those of us who are not into those things, I'm sorry, but it's not so exciting and definitely not all that high on our urban developmental priority list.

lol - maybe your priority list. Youve got to understand protecting and developing this river resource as a world class feature is likely to attract way more young vital people to Richmond than any corporate headquarters. This education center by itslef isnt that big a deal, but what it does is anchor another part of a beautiful park system, cleans up that whole area and makes it an attractive place to visit with easy access. Now the area between there and Rocketts along the trail can be enhanced even furthur. I also like Echo Harbour when it was proposed but in hindsight am glad the space was preserved for a better/higher purpose. This park system in the middle of downtown is a gem and a defining feature or our cities character - Id put it way higher on my developmental priority list than another box condo building somwhere... BTW Im an "all of the above" kind of guy - we can enhance our natural and historic strengths (play to our strengths) and still develop with height and density. These things are synergistic...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rooster said:

lol - maybe your priority list. Youve got to understand protecting and developing this river resource as a world class feature is likely to attract way more young vital people to Richmond than any corporate headquarters. This education center by itslef isnt that big a deal, but what it does is anchor another part of a beautiful park system, cleans up that whole area and makes it an attractive place to visit with easy access. Now the area between there and Rocketts along the trail can be enhanced even furthur. I also like Echo Harbour when it was proposed but in hindsight am glad the space was preserved for a better/higher purpose. This park system in the middle of downtown is a gem and a defining feature or our cities character - Id put it way higher on my developmental priority list than another box condo building somwhere... BTW Im an "all of the above" kind of guy - we can enhance our natural and historic strengths (play to our strengths) and still develop with height and density. These things are synergistic...

I hear where you're coming from but, respectfully, I have to push back by saying that, frankly, I don't have to understand anything, my friend. I'm not against this project at all - not by any stretch. Like you, I'm also an "all of the above" kinda guy. But I'm just honestly not all that interested in or moved by this development aside from on a very cursory, general level that it's something nice that will benefit the city and the region. And I DO agree with you - these things are synergistic - and I see a ton of benefit from having this kind of riverfront development, particularly when combined with RVA's many other treasury of resources (including, as you mentioned, height and density). No disagreement with you whatsoever there.

No, my friend, I'm not against it. But neither am I viewing this as the second coming of the wheel. It's nice - but it's not make-or-break for Richmond in terms of what makes the city a great place for businesses to relocate, for economic development and population growth to flourish. It IS another spoke (one of many) in the great wheel that is the city from a cultural perspective. I'll give the park system equal footing with our music scene, our food scene, our brewery scene, our amazing museums (you wanna talk about 'world class'? Now THERE's something to crow about!), or theatre scene, among many other parts of the city's great cultural tapestry. Yes, the river is a tremendous asset from multiple perspectives - and I'm glad we're utilizing it to our greatest advantage. But for one, even growing up, I was NEVER - EVER - a river guy. EVER. Pretty to look at, yes, but I had no desire whatsoever to go hang out at the river. And if we're talking parks - I'm far more drawn to Byrd Park and to Maymont - the wonderful Italian and Japanese gardens at Maymont -- truly amazing. Maybe it's because I'm much more into urban settings - and both Byrd and Maymont parks are very urban in their essence. I'm not into 'wilderness' kinds of settings. Rapids don't do it for me. Glad we've got 'em because folks love 'em and will come here to canoe down 'em! But I'll happily take a pass and go sit at the ballpark with a couple of hot dogs, a beer, and watch baseball.

Again, this project on the riverfront is nice- but it's not high on my personal priority list - and that's okay! It doesn't have to be everyone's cup of tea. Much as I lament the loss of Echo Harbor, I'm actually pretty happy with the density that Rockett's has been able to achieve -and frankly if the developer who built out Block 8 (or is it Block 6?) is able to build that 14-story apartment building on the adjacent block (Block 6/Block8) that'll be more than enough to salve the wounds of losing Echo Harbor.

To repeat - I'm not against this riverfront park project - not by a long shot, nor does its existence need to be defended. But I humbly ask that folks not try to force it down my throat as the end-all and be-all of Richmond developments and/or expect me to fall in love with it the way they have. From my perspective, it's nice - and that's about it. Glad we have it - but I'm not going to see this as a defining moment in Richmond's economic or cultural history.

Dunno if that makes sense - but those are my two no-so-shiny copper sheckels on the matter.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 7:16 PM, Brent114 said:

I think you only have me by a few years.  53 here. 

Okay - I've got you by seven years. That makes me feel - umm... (marginally) better... 😂

Sooooo... I'll throw this question out there to our esteemed community re: the age question. Is there ANYONE among us (other than myself) who actually remembers WATCHING the Apollo 11 moon landing in real time? I vividly remember watching the launch on July 16, 1969 (one of my cousins (who was 12 at the time) watched it with me and he was running late and ALMOST missed the liftoff)... the landing on July 20th (watched that at my grandmother's house in Glen Allen - she actually lived in/just east of Elmont in Hanover County, but had a Glen Allen mailing address)), and the actual moon walk (we had severe thunderstorms that evening - the power was knocked out and we almost missed it - power came back on about 30 minutes before Neil Armstrong stepped off the LEM)... and the splashdown was on my dad's birthday (July 24th). My brother doesn't remember it - he was 2 (turning 3 in October) that year. I was 6 (turning 7 in October).

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I hear where you're coming from but, respectfully, I have to push back by saying that, frankly, I don't have to understand anything, my friend. I'm not against this project at all - not by any stretch. Like you, I'm also an "all of the above" kinda guy. But I'm just honestly not all that interested in or moved by this development aside from on a very cursory, general level that it's something nice that will benefit the city and the region. And I DO agree with you - these things are synergistic - and I see a ton of benefit from having this kind of riverfront development, particularly when combined with RVA's many other treasury of resources (including, as you mentioned, height and density). No disagreement with you whatsoever there.

No, my friend, I'm not against it. But neither am I viewing this as the second coming of the wheel. It's nice - but it's not make-or-break for Richmond in terms of what makes the city a great place for businesses to relocate, for economic development and population growth to flourish. It IS another spoke (one of many) in the great wheel that is the city from a cultural perspective. I'll give the park system equal footing with our music scene, our food scene, our brewery scene, our amazing museums (you wanna talk about 'world class'? Now THERE's something to crow about!), or theatre scene, among many other parts of the city's great cultural tapestry. Yes, the river is a tremendous asset from multiple perspectives - and I'm glad we're utilizing it to our greatest advantage. But for one, even growing up, I was NEVER - EVER - a river guy. EVER. Pretty to look at, yes, but I had no desire whatsoever to go hang out at the river. And if we're talking parks - I'm far more drawn to Byrd Park and to Maymont - the wonderful Italian and Japanese gardens at Maymont -- truly amazing. Maybe it's because I'm much more into urban settings - and both Byrd and Maymont parks are very urban in their essence. I'm not into 'wilderness' kinds of settings. Rapids don't do it for me. Glad we've got 'em because folks love 'em and will come here to canoe down 'em! But I'll happily take a pass and go sit at the ballpark with a couple of hot dogs, a beer, and watch baseball.

Again, this project on the riverfront is nice- but it's not high on my personal priority list - and that's okay! It doesn't have to be everyone's cup of tea. Much as I lament the loss of Echo Harbor, I'm actually pretty happy with the density that Rockett's has been able to achieve -and frankly if the developer who built out Block 8 (or is it Block 6?) is able to build that 14-story apartment building on the adjacent block (Block 6/Block8) that'll be more than enough to salve the wounds of losing Echo Harbor.

To repeat - I'm not against this riverfront park project - not by a long shot, nor does its existence need to be defended. But I humbly ask that folks not try to force it down my throat as the end-all and be-all of Richmond developments and/or expect me to fall in love with it the way they have. From my perspective, it's nice - and that's about it. Glad we have it - but I'm not going to see this as a defining moment in Richmond's economic or cultural history.

Dunno if that makes sense - but those are my two no-so-shiny copper sheckels on the matter.

sure it does my friend - not everybody likes the same things. Like licorice - not everyone likes it but the people who do REALLY like it :) I practically grew up on those rocks from pony pasture down to Belle Isle - and theres nothing better on a hot day than a group of friends, coolers full of beer, and paddling around the rapids. There are ALOT of people who agree. I really appreciate your enthusiasm for Richmond, and wasnt trying to shove anything down your throat - just pointing out that many of us have a different opinion about the relative value of our river (compared to some random condo development for example). I do think its important every now and then to point out that many of us support economic and population growth not as ends in themselves, but as drivers of real quality of life improvements - better parks, music venues, art galleries, dining options, community spaces, etc... Vive la difference!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rooster said:

sure it does my friend - not everybody likes the same things. Like licorice - not everyone likes it but the people who do REALLY like it :) I practically grew up on those rocks from pony pasture down to Belle Isle - and theres nothing better on a hot day than a group of friends, coolers full of beer, and paddling around the rapids. There are ALOT of people who agree. I really appreciate your enthusiasm for Richmond, and wasnt trying to shove anything down your throat - just pointing out that many of us have a different opinion about the relative value of our river (compared to some random condo development for example). I do think its important every now and then to point out that many of us support economic and population growth not as ends in themselves, but as drivers of real quality of life improvements - better parks, music venues, art galleries, dining options, community spaces, etc... Vive la difference!

Well said, brother! I know plenty of folks who, like yourself, spent summer after summer on the rocks at the river - and I grew up not all that far from Pony Pasture. Believe me, I got a zillion invites over the years to go to "the ruvvah" - and always turned them down. Never EVER was interested. My hot summer afternoons with beer and other refreshments (like good hot dogs) were spent in the grandstands at Parker Field and later The Diamond watching my beloved R-Braves doing battle with International League foes. "Hanging out" on the river just never was my thing. I'm not a water person AT ALL. I don't like the beach AT ALL. I prefer the mountains -- if I had a choice between a trek to the beach or a trek to the mountains, I was heading west EVERY SINGLE TIME! That hasn't changed all these decades later. I'll do the mountains in a heartbeat before I go to the ocean.

(My zodiac likely plays a big part in it - I am a Libra - which is an "air" sign. So my affinity for height and love of very large, very tall things - be they skyscrapers or mountains - absolutely makes sense. There are other things in my astrological birth chart that explain why I'm naturally drawn to BIG cities - and why I would want my beloved Richmond to be one of those BIG cities.)

No - I'm happy for y'all who enjoy those things like the river, the hiking, the rafting, the rocks, the trails. That's why I said - MAZAL TOV to any/all who enjoy that sort of thing (the river, the park system, etc.) - and may you all enjoy them in good health! They're great assets, and I'm glad we have them!

My enthusiasm for Richmond started more than 50 years ago when a man by the name of Tom Bliley was the city's forward-thinking, forward-looking mayor who saw Richmond's AWESOME potential as the next up-and-coming BIG city. He advocated a strong message as far back as 1970 that city manager Bill Leidinger echoed a few years later of how Richmond was poised to become "the next Atlanta" - meaning - the South's next mega boomtown. This message was widely embraced by the city's government, civic and business communities writ large. (PERSONAL NOTE: members of my family knew the Blileys and Bill Leidinger personally - and shared their dream for Richmond's future. So I come by it honestly.)

Unfortunately, my dream of Richmond not just doing what Atlanta did - but doing it FAR BETTER than Atlanta EVER could do it - got short circuited by the annexation fight and the horrible, toxic political devolution of city governance in the wake of the annexation debacle. Too many scores ended up needing to be settled - too many political agendas replaced good governance - it got personal - and it got messy and a good many REALLY OUTSTANDING people who could have been OUTSTANDING leaders got kneecapped in the carnage that was the off-the-chain political infighting over the next decade plus (almost two decades, really). So I've been waiting now for five decades for Richmond to FINALLY take off and light the afterburners of growth - something she's finally (kind of) doing now (albeit not to the level I want her to - but it's FAR better than 35 years of hemorrhaging population like she did from 1970 to about 2005ish...) 

I think we both want very similar things - but where we differ is the emphasis. I DO view population and economic growth as ends in and of themselves. I AM looking for numbers. I want HUGE growth numbers. I've long said there is NO reason that - had better circumstances befallen our fair city over the past half-century - she couldn't have a population today (in the city proper) of 600K or 700K people and a metro population of north of 2.5 million. WITHOUT A DELETARIOUS IMPACT ON QUALITY OF LIFE!!! Plans to unlock that potential were there in 1970. The mindset was there. The energy was there. We were poised. But unlike SpaceX's Starship (which at least launched despite blowing apart the launch facility) - we never got off the launch pad. Instead, we just blew the damn pad to smithereens and sat in the smoldering ruins for four decades before finally -- by the Grace of God -- we started dragging ourselves up and out of the rubble to become a city that's really gaining national attention. Thankfully! FINALLY! ABOUT BLOODY DAMN TIME!

What's ironic - is that I do agree with you - population and economic growth - I also view as drivers to enhance and really move the city forward in the very areas you mentioned - better music venues, better entertainment, better galleries, museums, dining options, better community spaces, parks and the like, MORE options of MORE things to see and do. That's why I say a BIGGER Richmond actually WILL BE a FAR BETTER Richmond with all of the additional things to see and do. We have a LONG way to go before growth "negatively" impacts quality of life. No one is talking about turning RVA into Moscow or Tokyo and plunking 12 to 17 MILLION people IN THE CITY and 25 million in the metro. Even I don't want that - even as crazy and off -the-chain as I am about growth. THAT would be a disaster!

But I do want us to get a LOT bigger before the Good Lord decideth to plucketh me from this earth. And at the age of 60, I'm hoping and praying I live long enough to finally see RVA reach the heights she COULD have reached and SHOULD have reached decades ago were it not for a multitude of stumbling blocks that held us back - chief of them being the annexation moratorium, which exacerbates the negative impact of the archaic, 150-plus year-old independent city paradigm, and the fact that Virginia is -- VERY unfortunately -- a Dillon-rule state. 

My dear friend, I think you and I essentially want many of the same things - even if our approaches are different. And as you said - vive la difference!! I couldn't agree more!  1f44d.png.6b75a3c4694aa45576492230332080a7.png1044492904_happy-face-emoji-printable-11549848555cni0o8ms6p(1).png.9c5148e098d9245820e5f62f1e85ac39.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

well said! I'll share a little story - a friend of mine books the bands on friday nights at mainline brewery (on overbrook along the train tracks) and has been pulling pretty good crowds for local bands (including mine) and has started getting interest from national/regional acts. A band from Boston (a grateful dead -type) was touring the northeast and came and played 2 weeks ago - they said Richmond was the furthest south they had ever been! Upon my friends suggestion they had lunch at GWAR bar in jackson ward and then walked out to Belles Island to see the Dead Rock that afternoon (probably Richmond's most famous piece of graffetti - a grateful dead icon that was first painted about 50 years ago and keeps getting replaced everytime someone paints over it). They were so blown away by Richmond and the burgeoning scene down here they immediately booked 4 more gigs here over the next year! Richmond is getting a reputation as a great stop for some of these acts, and our little piece of river paradise makes a great impression on visitors :)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Rooster said:

well said! I'll share a little story - a friend of mine books the bands on friday nights at mainline brewery (on overbrook along the train tracks) and has been pulling pretty good crowds for local bands (including mine) and has started getting interest from national/regional acts. A band from Boston (a grateful dead -type) was touring the northeast and came and played 2 weeks ago - they said Richmond was the furthest south they had ever been! Upon my friends suggestion they had lunch at GWAR bar in jackson ward and then walked out to Belles Island to see the Dead Rock that afternoon (probably Richmond's most famous piece of graffetti - a grateful dead icon that was first painted about 50 years ago and keeps getting replaced everytime someone paints over it). They were so blown away by Richmond and the burgeoning scene down here they immediately booked 4 more gigs here over the next year! Richmond is getting a reputation as a great stop for some of these acts, and our little piece of river paradise makes a great impression on visitors :)

SWEEEEET! I love stories like these!

Indeed, RVA's music scene is phenomenal - we definitely punch well above our weight relative to our size. Glad to hear of these kinds of stories - and the good news is, word of mouth is sometimes the best advertisement there is (plus, it's FREE! image.png.b816c61766030678b321baa6bc498f6e.png)

Awesome story, brother. It made me smile today! 👍

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

a fantastic new feature - now restore the old locks so we can kayak up to the turning basin!

YES! I think that is the end goal here. Have Parks & Rec be the entrance to it all. Develop the Locks areas with as many apartments as possible (pending apartments next to old OffTheHookah club / previous CarMax office space) and make it iconinc canal/river front living!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Develop the Locks areas with as many apartments as possible 

image.jpeg.0e313fe1e1f53314d400e161f3421fc8.jpeg!!  Absolutely agree with this!

And PLEASE - for the love of God - PLEASE let's not go all ape-sheitze on the over-hyped "historic" aspect and impose a bunch of overblown, ludicrous, draconian architectural constraints and height and density restrictions. We've got more than enough of that already - we don't need more. If developers want - and are able - to put high-rises up and down the canal, FFS, LET THEM!!!  I honestly could not care less if George Washington himself sailed up and down the canal. If he did, great. If he didn't, great. But something that might or might not have happened 250-plus years ago should NOT in any way preclude modern architecture, high density development and significant height from saddling up along side the canal. "History" and "big city" co-exist side-by-side in places like Philadelphia and Boston just fine. They can do so in Richmond, too, and there's frankly no reason they can't.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Didn’t know where else to put this, but I consider King’s Dominion a park, so…here we are!

Anyway, it looks like King’s Dominion has submitted an application to the county of Hanover for a new roller coaster. The thought is that this new thrill ride will co-inside with the park’s 50th anniversary in 2025 (man, I feel old!).  For years, park patrons have been clamoring for a really good thrilling roller coaster.  Blog site KDFans.com released the information and seem to think the new roller coaster will be a winged roller coaster and will be situated where the Volcano used to be. Plans for the new ride are not clear but the RTD include a site plan which they were able to secure (KDFans.com has even more info).  Also, of note, Busch Gardens is turning 50 in 2025 and it is planning for a new thrilling roller coaster as well. A great time for thrill rides in Virginia!

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/development/kings-dominion-appears-to-be-building-a-big-roller-coaster/article_1f5d743e-aa72-11ee-a50d-8335bfc805c3.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

KDFans.com on the new roller coaster:

https://kdfans.com/2023/new-plans-reveal-the-full-layout-of-kings-dominions-yet-to-be-announced-launched-wing-coaster/

I read through this guy’s blog on KDFans.com - simply amazing how he figures out what this new roller coaster will look like!  Totally nerdy, but dang - here’s his best guess on what the ride will look like, its features, and a POV perspective in this video - very fun:

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

The city is ponying up $15 million to purchase Mayo Island from the Shaia family.  While I do agree this is a really cool acquisition for the city that will be a tremendous asset to the JRPS - I'm a little torched that the city is willing to spend money here while scaling back plans (via cutting out/delaying the purchase of the VCU Sports Backers stadium site) in what has been to this point the highly-touted, allegedly "transformative" Diamond District redevelopment.

Priorities a tad out of whack maybe? image.jpeg.d6f54c9901d8f1aeb89f37126e5a406b.jpeg

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/01/08/mayo-island-sold-to-city-in-15m-deal/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3