Parks and Rec

drayrichmond

38 minutes ago, Hike said:

Luckily, weed season is over. Not an excuse and only my opinion, the city has had their hands full with city center, Diamond district, school fires, Covid, social unrest etc. so not at all surprised parks fell down the list. 

And now with the Diamond District in the "W" column, the city is turning its attention squarely upon downtown and City Center. I can't wait to see what happens on that initiative. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

And now with the Diamond District in the "W" column, the city is turning its attention squarely upon downtown and City Center. I can't wait to see what happens on that initiative. 

However it goes down, it better build out much sooner than 10-15 years!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Hike said:

Luckily, weed season is over. Not an excuse and only my opinion, the city has had their hands full with city center, Diamond district, school fires, Covid, social unrest etc. so not at all surprised parks fell down the list. 

Park maintenance has unfortunately been a problem and not just in Richmond.  Does the City perform park maintenance themselves or via contractors?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shakman said:

Park maintenance has unfortunately been a problem and not just in Richmond.  Does the City perform park maintenance themselves or via contractors?

I’ve noticed the same in henrico in some places. It’s been bad nationwide 

Just now, Downtowner said:

I’ve noticed the same in henrico in some places. It’s been bad nationwide 

I hate saying this because I know there are some people who are huge park enthusiasts but if I’m a city operating a budget during these rough times parks is the last thing I’m thinking about at the moment.

• Like 3

I’d love to see more volunteers and perhaps the city, counties can even head that up. There are hoops to jump through, probably creating non-profits, training, some paperwork for insurance purposes and someone to over see it, but volunteering is a real potential. As a maintainer of the Appalachian trail, all 2,500 miles are maintained by volunteers thru non profit clubs. It’s very rewarding and if parks mean something to people, giving back is extremely rewarding. Parks are a major upkeep and need help. Using power tools is a problem due to potential hazards, and those tasks are very trained and need classes for safety but there is so much a volunteer can do if given the chance. 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hike said:

I’d love to see more volunteers and perhaps the city, counties can even head that up. There are hoops to jump through, probably creating non-profits, training, some paperwork for insurance purposes and someone to over see it, but volunteering is a real potential. As a maintainer of the Appalachian trail, all 2,500 miles are maintained by volunteers thru non profit clubs. It’s very rewarding and if parks mean something to people, giving back is extremely rewarding. Parks area a major upkeep and need help. Using power tools is a problem due to potential hazards, and those tasks are very trained and need classes for safety but there is so much a volunteer can do if given the chance. 

1f4af.png    this! 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

1f4af.png    this! 

This is how many of the National parks in the west,  Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah National Park were constructed and maintained, I’d love to see the CCC back in use today, it’s like being enlisted, except for parks. 

https://www.nps.gov/articles/the-civilian-conservation-corps.htm#:~:text=Roosevelt established the Civilian Conservation,lands%2C forests%2C and parks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hike said:

This is how many of the National parks in the west,  Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah National Park were constructed and maintained, I’d love to see the CCC back in use today, it’s like being enlisted, except for parks. 

https://www.nps.gov/articles/the-civilian-conservation-corps.htm#:~:text=Roosevelt established the Civilian Conservation,lands%2C forests%2C and parks.

that would be a great program for troubled young men and maybe even prisoners to help get their lives on track. Things like this would be great god troubled young men and women. Send them off to places to learn to work and earn a living and the value of taking care of yourself and your fellow man. It’s better than sitting on a computer or video game console. Really need to get these kids in moms basement to get some activities and learning in their lives. The moms basement kids seem to always have a ton of social issues. But don’t count out the troubled young men who are in abusive and violent families need to get them away from that and into programs like this. Scenarios and experiences go a lot further than just talking to a social worker or psychiatrist. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

that would be a great program for troubled young men and maybe even prisoners to help get their lives on track. Things like this would be great god troubled young men and women. Send them off to places to learn to work and earn a living and the value of taking care of yourself and your fellow man. It’s better than sitting on a computer or video game console. Really need to get these kids in moms basement to get some activities and learning in their lives. The moms basement kids seem to always have a ton of social issues. But don’t count out the troubled young men who are in abusive and violent families need to get them away from that and into programs like this. Scenarios and experiences go a lot further than just talking to a social worker or psychiatrist. 

image.png.6fbdf856dd0e196608c2c29447264568.png   this!   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Amen brother. I feel so lucky I grew up when I did and how I did, there were hard times, not much money and if we wanted anything we had to work, that started early in my life.  We got spanked at home,  corporal punishment was still allowed and paddling was still a thing, yes, the principal hit with a paddle, it hurt, lessons learned. No games, tv was an antenna that sucked, all I’m saying is, if we wanted something, we had to work to earn it and those lessons are still in me and I feel the same way about volunteering. We can all pick up litter, rid graffiti, take out trash, cut grass too tall at an intersection,  if something bothers me, I complain but I also go do something about it too. 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Downtowner said:

A two year program that every citizen must complete before turning twenty-five would be great.  Park work could be one aspect, but so could many other things (elder care comes to mind).  In my vision, people wouldn't be able to serve in the region of the country in which they were raised.  Rural inhabitants would have to spend some period in cities and vice versa for urban dwellers.  Only those serving in the armed forces would be exempted from this.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hike said:

We got spanked at home,  corporal punishment was still allowed and paddling was still a thing, yes, the principal hit with a paddle, it hurt, lessons learned.

No games, tv was an antenna that sucked...

1.) Spanked at home AND paddled at school: OMG YES WE DID!!  I'm turning 60 next week and I think I STILL have welts on my tuchus that haven't fully healed. :tw_flushed:

2.) Funny and TRUE story from my childhood: Those of us old enough will remember how television in the late '60s and even in the early '70s was not a science without flaws - and transmission problems (since there was no cable yet, much less internet) were pretty common. I can remember on more than one occasion something would get sideways with the sound or picture or signal - and the TV station would put up a station ID card and the voice-over would say: "We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by."

So I did.

I stood by ... I got up... went over to the TV set... and stood by the TV.

Honest to goodness truth!! 

I still remember one time my dad being puzzled by me getting up and going over to the TV and standing next to it. He asked me - "son - what are you doing?" I answered: "The man on the TV said they were having problems and said 'please stand by' - I'm just doing what the man on the TV said, but I don't think it's helping."

My dad's response:  "Sit down, son..." :tw_joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For someone born in 1988 I got spanked myself. Pretty good too and I turned out just fine. I was taught my manners and disciplined as well. My daughter will be taught the same. My daughter will be disciplined and taught to be responsible and well mannered. I was always taught to say excuse me thank you and your welcome and please. I’ve always done that to this day. I feel it’s a big part of being respectful to others. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

The fencing has been removed around the new park in front of the Science Museum.  I’m guessing that means it’s now open! 

I don’t see any Facebook, etc. updates with pictures yet but see this and looks to be a nice change to the entry.  What size trees were installed? The renderings show mature trees, which will be a long time for that look, so would be good if large plantings, though cost a lot more, we’re used.

https://smv.org/explore/green/visuals-green/

Edited by Hike

7 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

The trees are fairly large for new plantings.  The theme seems to be native plants and trees.  There’s a small pine grove, for example. 

Nice, I think most pines grow relatively fast, which will have a faster impact. Our house, out here in the west burbs has pines, really love them and wish we had more, loblolly’s. Most neighbors around us have gotten rid of them or reduced the number, they fear they may fall, which I always feel bad when I see them being taken out.  Also, really like hiking in pine sections of the woods, the sound is sweet (whispering pines) and the ground is soft for camping on the needles, probably can’t camp at the museum, but it may be tried.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hike said:

Nice, I think most pines grow relatively fast, which will have a faster impact. Our house, out here in the west burbs has pines, really love them and wish we had more, loblolly’s. Most neighbors around us have gotten rid of them or reduced the number, they fear they may fall, which I always feel bad when I see them being taken out.  Also, really like hiking in pine sections of the woods, the sound is sweet (whispering pines) and the ground is soft for camping on the needles, probably can’t camp at the museum, but it may be tried.

AMEN, brother - there is NOTHING better than BIG - and I mean BIG -- TALL loblolly pines! The house in which I grew up on Forest Hill Avenue in Granite (one mile west of Westover Hills) -- we had three HUGE loblolly pines sort of triangulated between the head of the driveway and the back of the house. One of them died and my dad had to have it taken down - we were devastated because those trees were simply GORGEOUS and to have even one missing was painful to see.

Our property was an entire city block deep and the back 1/4 was thickly wooded. We had seven apple trees that produced abundantly every summer - my dad made applesauce and apple preserves every August/September (it was always part of the start of football season for me - the smell of apples, cinnamon, other typical applesauce spices... YUM!) We also had a huge persimmon tree in the front yard as well as a large black walnut tree. Both produced abundantly and we made use of the produce every year. Dad also had pear trees at the back end of his huge garden (in front of the woods) - and they produced - AND - we had two cherry trees, one in the front yard, one way in the back near the woods. They all produced - but the birds usually partook of the cherries before my dad was able to harvest enough to make cherry preserves and cherry jam. He had two grape arbors at the edge of the woods - and he made grape jelly and jam every fall as well.

We also had a hickory nut tree just off the back porch - and it produced uber abundantly every year. We never did anything with the hickory nuts - we left those for the plethora of squirrels who lived in our trees - they needed the food for the winter and my folks were very much cognizant that it was better to NOT interrupt nature's provisions for them. (Mind you - in the winter - particularly when there was a lot of cold weather and big snowstorms, we'd have the occasional squirrel come to the door of the back porch in need of food (no idea what became of their stores of hickory nuts when we'd get snow) -- my mom would feed them during the extremely inclement weather. :tw_smile:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

AMEN, brother - there is NOTHING better than BIG - and I mean BIG -- TALL loblolly pines! The house in which I grew up on Forest Hill Avenue in Granite (one mile west of Westover Hills) -- we had three HUGE loblolly pines sort of triangulated between the head of the driveway and the back of the house. One of them died and my dad had to have it taken down - we were devastated because those trees were simply GORGEOUS and to have even one missing was painful to see.

Our property was an entire city block deep and the back 1/4 was thickly wooded. We had seven apple trees that produced abundantly every summer - my dad made applesauce and apple preserves every August/September (it was always part of the start of football season for me - the smell of apples, cinnamon, other typical applesauce spices... YUM!) We also had a huge persimmon tree in the front yard as well as a large black walnut tree. Both produced abundantly and we made use of the produce every year. Dad also had pear trees at the back end of his huge garden (in front of the woods) - and they produced - AND - we had two cherry trees, one in the front yard, one way in the back near the woods. They all produced - but the birds usually partook of the cherries before my dad was able to harvest enough to make cherry preserves and cherry jam. He had two grape arbors at the edge of the woods - and he made grape jelly and jam every fall as well.

We also had a hickory nut tree just off the back porch - and it produced uber abundantly every year. We never did anything with the hickory nuts - we left those for the plethora of squirrels who lived in our trees - they needed the food for the winter and my folks were very much cognizant that it was better to NOT interrupt nature's provisions for them. (Mind you - in the winter - particularly when there was a lot of cold weather and big snowstorms, we'd have the occasional squirrel come to the door of the back porch in need of food (no idea what became of their stores of hickory nuts when we'd get snow) -- my mom would feed them during the extremely inclement weather. :tw_smile:

What a great memory of your time spent there, forest hill is such a nice location. Of the trees you listed, we only have hickory in common, which we’ve taken some out unfortunately. They were over our driveway and we put up with them for years. We strategically parked our cars in different locations to try to avoid being hit by the nuts, but it got too bad, and we ran out of any location to park and got tired of not being able to park in our driveway. They ruined more than one car, dents, like hail damage, so we took 2 of them out and replaced them with maples. We still have hickories, just fewer and smaller in size. The squirrels love the hickory nuts, like you mentioned, we also hand out pecans. My Hanover friend has pecan trees and he gives me shoe boxes full of older ones and some we keep that are fresher. Every year there’s one squirrel that gets smart and knows we have them and taps on the door or just sits there and looks in, pretty cute. It’s unfortunate though because not all our neighbors are kind and feel there are too many squirrels and have killed, poisoned them. I’ve confronted him as he was bragging about killing them, he also killed a pileated woodpecker with a BB gun. They are protected and mate for life, we’ve had words. I have no proof other than neighbors telling me about it, his telling them he did it, so yeah, he hates the extra squirrels, which hang around due to bird feed and some pecans. We try to not over do it, also, other neighbors feed too, so we’re not alone, but it’s too bad there’s always one to ruin it. 

these are the pileated woodpecker, they’re big (up to 19” tall) and fun to watch. 

https://youtu.be/SNVGPmo1xuA

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hike said:

What a great memory of your time spent there, forest hill is such a nice location. Of the trees you listed, we only have hickory in common, which we’ve taken some out unfortunately. They were over our driveway and we put up with them for years. We strategically parked our cars in different locations to try to avoid being hit by the nuts, but it got too bad, and we ran out of any location to park and got tired of not being able to park in our driveway. They ruined more than one car, dents, like hail damage, so we took 2 of them out out and replaced them with maples. We still have hickories, just fewer and smaller in size. The squirrels love the hickory nuts, like you mentioned, we also hand out pecans. My Hanover friend has pecan trees and he gives me shoe boxes full of older ones and some we keep that are fresher. Every year there’s one squirrel that gets smart and knows we have them and taps on the door or just sits there and looks in, pretty cute. It’s unfortunate though because not all our neighbors are kind and feel there are too many squirrels and have killed, poisoned them. I’ve confronted him as he was bragging about killing them, he also killed a pileated woodpecker with a BB gun. They are protected and mate for life, we’ve had words. I have no proof other than neighbors telling me about it, his telling them he did it, so yeah, he hates the extra squirrels, which hang around due to bird feed and some pecans. We try to not over do it, also, other neighbors feed too, so we’re not alone, but it’s too bad there’s always one to ruin it. 

1.) Cars/hickory nuts and dents: OMG ... tell me about it! Our family cars all ended up looking like the lunar surface from all the hickory nut dings. Par for the course.

2.) Pecans: yep - we fed them pecans and walnuts, too. 

3.) tapping on the door and peering in: YESSSSSSSSSS!!! Those wintertime fuzzy visitors who braved the cold and snow would tap on the porch door. Our living room spanned the depth of the house on one side (front to back) and we could see the patio and porch steps out of the back living room window. We'd hear the sound on the porch door - look out the window and see the squirrel sitting there, waiting patiently. If he noticed movement (or heard us tapping on the window to get his attention) he'd turn to the window and "beg" in that extremely cute way they do. He knew it'd only be a couple of minutes before food would be forthcoming. 

4.) I'm with you - I have absolutely NO room for ANYONE who harms animals such as the folks you described. HOW do you shoot a woodpecker, for God's sake? I get it how folks can be annoyed by property being swarmed by squirrels, rabbits, etc. , but for Christ's sake - KNOW where you live before you buy. FAR better for professionals who are specially trained to capture and release small animals than for folks to take it upon themselves to poison or shoot them. I can't stand that either, mate.

5.) Squirrels/bird feeders: My dad built a 12-unit bird house/feeder and put it high on an aluminum pole in the back yard. Well lemme tell ya - it took all of one summer before the squirrels SOMEHOW managed to shimmy up to the bird house/feeder (it was really big - like a bird condo) - chase away the birds, hollow out (enlarge) the "holes" - and take up residence in what became their "squirrel condo". Is was HILARIOUS! 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

1.) Cars/hickory nuts and dents: OMG ... tell me about it! Our family cars all ended up looking like the lunar surface from all the hickory nut dings. Par for the course.

2.) Pecans: yep - we fed them pecans and walnuts, too. 

3.) tapping on the door and peering in: YESSSSSSSSSS!!! Those wintertime fuzzy visitors who braved the cold and snow would tap on the porch door. Our living room spanned the depth of the house on one side (front to back) and we could see the patio and porch steps out of the back living room window. We'd hear the sound on the porch down - look out the window and see the squirrel sitting there, waiting patiently. If he noticed movement (or heard us tapping on the window to get his attention) he'd turn to the window and "beg" in that extremely cute way they do. He knew it'd only be a couple of minutes before food would be forthcoming. 

4.) I'm with you - I have absolutely NO room for ANYONE who harms animals such as the folks you described. HOW do you shoot a woodpecker, for God's sake? I get it how folks can be annoyed by property being swarmed by squirrels, rabbits, etc. , but for Christ's sake - KNOW where you live before you buy. FAR better for professionals who are specially trained to capture and release small animals than for folks to take it upon themselves to poison or shoot them. I can't stand that either, mate.

5.) Squirrels/bird feeders: My dad built a 12-unit bird house/feeder and put it high on an aluminum pole in the back yard. Well lemme tell ya - it took all of one summer before the squirrels SOMEHOW managed to shimmy up to the bird house/feeder (it was really big - like a bird condo) - chase away the birds, hollow out (enlarge) the "holes" - and take up residence in what became their "squirrel condo". Is was HILARIOUS! 

We have sliding doors on the house at an outside corner of our back yard, so about 12’ off glass, and the one squirrel just sits there and when he sees us, runs up and begs. He’s also very quick, actually I think a she, because recently another squirrel followed it for days, but, anyway, it almost regularly tries to get in the house. You have to go out and use a broom to shoo it away or it’ll get close to getting in, which scares the heck out of me, as I’m sure that would be insane. 
When I talked to the guy about killing the animal’s with poison, he admitted it, but said it was for rodents, mice, bugs, etc. and not intended for the squirrels but I said you told others that you did it for the squirrels, which he denied. He also acted dumb about not knowing you couldn’t kill a pileated woodpecker. He said it was pecking his cedar house, which we all have. I told him to call for help, have pros take them away, like you mentioned, or move to an another location with less/no woods and into a brick home. I do think he’s sorry, I think my talk helped some, he’s a strange, lonely(?) single, older guy, kind of pitiful in my eyes, I feel I got thru to him on this, at least I hope I did. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hike said:

We have sliding doors on the house at an outside corner of our back yard, so about 12’ off glass, and the one squirrel just sits there and when he sees us, runs up and begs. He’s also very quick, actually I think a she, because recently another squirrel followed it for days, but, anyway, it almost regularly tries to get in the house. You have to go out and use a broom to shoo it away or it’ll get close to getting in, which scares the heck out of me, as I’m sure that would be insane. 
When I talked to the guy about killing the animal’s with poison, he admitted it, but said it was for rodents, mice, bugs, etc. and not intended for the squirrels but I said you told others that you did it for the squirrels, which he denied. He also acted dumb about not knowing you couldn’t kill a pileated woodpecker. He said it was pecking his cedar house, which we all have. I told him to call for help, have pros take them away, like you mentioned, or move to an another location with less/no woods and into a brick home. I do think he’s sorry, I think my talk helped some, he’s a strange, lonely(?) single, older guy, kind of pitiful in my eyes, I feel I got thru to him on this, at least I hope I did. 

Our back porch was fully enclosed (storm windows, storm door, wood siding, etc.,) and we used it mainly for storage, plus we had a second fridge/freezer that we used to stock up on stuff without cluttering up the fridge in the kitchen. The porch originally was open and later screened in - but my dad full enclosed it, ran electrical outlets, etc., into it. So our actual "back door" to the house entered the kitchen from the porch - and just for nostalgia (and to keep bees/wasps out in warmer weather if we opened the kitchen door) we left the old screen door on. So in particularly cold weather, we'd let the squirrels come into the porch (we'd hold open the porch door and he'd scamper in) -- he couldn't easily get into the house itself because we could block off the part of the porch where we'd feed him. More often than not, when he was done, he wanted back out - so we'd just let him out and he'd run along 'til the next time.

You mentioned your squirrel might be a she - wouldn't it be something if she showed up with an entire brood of baby squirrels! :tw_smiley:

The neighbor: I hear what you're saying about him being kinda strange... maybe lonely, single, older, etc. But you know what? I betcha he'd be doing this if he was 25 as opposed to  ??? (maybe 55? 65? 75?) A tiger doesn't change its stripes. Not judging this guy - but I'm just saying - we all have challenging life circumstances - but we don't have to turn to cruelty as a coping mechanism. And shooting woodpeckers and poisoning or shooting squirrels is cruelty, hands down. 

• Like 1