Scott's Addition Development

varunner

28 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

An interesting conversion project in the eastern portion of Scott's Addition on the Movieland at Boulevard Square campus: Bow Tie Cinemas is converting the small Criterion Cinemas building on the eastern end of the property into retail and restaurant space. Who will occupy that space is to be determined. Really good idea - providing a mix of uses in an area that is exploding with residential development  to the south, southwest and east - and sits just across the rail line from the burgeoning Diamond District.

And talk about potential ready-made clientele - the gorgeous (and I do mean GORGEOUS) Level 2 building slated to rise at Arthur Ashe Boulevard and Leigh Street is merely a pitching-wedge away from this location (admittedly across a rather large parking lot, but still - it's not far away at all). I love the idea of mixing it up here on this campus, what with all the residential development popping around it.

From today's RIchmond BIzSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/05/09/criterion-cinemas-at-movieland-to-be-converted-into-restaurant-retail-space/

bow-tie-criterion-building-700x467.jpg

I am curious to see how this one goes considering the original goal was for a restaurant space there.  The Criterion seemingly only came about as they never found an occupant.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Talk about overkill on parking minimums. :blink:

image.png.88b2b0dcc84ce4c5ffc5b9e5c345a2c8.png

Ain't THAT the truth!

Though, in fairness, some of that property (I think on the eastern side?) has been purchased by developers and could be redeveloped into something more consistent with recent construction trends in Greater Scott's - meaning - an apartment building (or buildings). Here's hoping!

53 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Capital Square* 

Capital City is the developer for the Commodore.

Capital City Partners is the developer in the dead VCU project.

Thanks, Coupe. Fixed it in my post. 👍

Dunno why I drifted over from "Square" to "City" - aside from the fact that my damn brain switched off! 😂

Man - we could use a scorecard to keep track of all these "Capital _____________" developers. (CS, CC, CCP - wow, all we need now is "CCCP" and we'd have the Soviet national hockey team!)  Either way, thanks for the clarification on the three specific developers, Coupe - it gets downright confusing sometimes!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/05/18/owner-of-handcraft-building-in-scotts-addition-looks-to-similar-project-in-westwood-area/

Honestly, pretty lame development for that big of a space to stay as "cool" office space. Density would have been great here.

image.jpeg.2e59f0f726e1d2ada188f638c094b1e1.jpeg agreed!!! 

I'm really disappointed that there's no density coming there. What's interesting - one of the commenters in RBS pointed out that this property is only partially in the county - apparently the city/county line splits even the building itself - can that be true (that the building is actually straddling the border?) - and if so, how does that impact property taxes, utility services, etc.?

Can you literally (potentially, anyway) walk across the hallway from your office to your coworker's office and, in doing so, walk from the city to the county (or vice versa)?  image.jpeg.4f13b9565a1d67795c18c5033480bafe.jpeg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

image.jpeg.2e59f0f726e1d2ada188f638c094b1e1.jpeg agreed!!! 

I'm really disappointed that there's no density coming there. What's interesting - one of the commenters in RBS pointed out that this property is only partially in the county - apparently the city/county line splits even the building itself - can that be true (that the building is actually straddling the border?) - and if so, how does that impact property taxes, utility services, etc.?

Can you literally (potentially, anyway) walk across the hallway from your office to your coworker's office and, in doing so, walk from the city to the county (or vice versa)?  image.jpeg.4f13b9565a1d67795c18c5033480bafe.jpeg

Imagine how it would've been wayyy back the day when interjurisdictional phone calls were considered "long distance" - calling your coworker across the hall from your office would technically be a "long-distance" call from a billing standpoint! image.jpeg.e6de2615390678b507dfec3303c9f1dd.jpeg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

For residential at least, there are many properties that straddle the Richmond/Henrico line. In those cases, taxes are prorated based on how much is straddled where.

Good to know. Follow-up: is that based on sq footage of LAND or of the physical structure or both?

59 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Lot size, I believe.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Wonder what would happen if you had the unusual situation of a property straddling the city-county line where 2/3 of the lot was in the city but 2/3 of the building on the property was in the county? While it may sound humorous, I'm actually asking earnestly out of curiosity as a layman.

Edited by I miss RVA

14 hours ago, whw53 said:

Chasen demo and Soda Flats from the alley opposite sheppard

20230523_202241.jpg

20230523_202130.jpg

@whw53I do believe you are in line for some silver hardware, my friend.  👍I need to track down our official RVA/UP Engraver to get some port-a-potty trophies engraved - I have a backlog of awards due for distribution.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Local mobile coffee company Parousia Coffee is opening an 850-square-foot cafe in the new VIV apartment building at 2900 W. Clay Street in Scott's Addition. According to Jack Jacobs' reporting in today's RBS, Parousia is planning a fall opening. The new coffee shop will be located next door to CoreFitness RVA gym in the VIV building.  Parousia has been in business since 2021 and has operated out of a mobile trailer since 2022.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/05/coffee-company-picks-scotts-addition-for-first-brick-and-mortar-cafe/

Screenshot (263).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1