Scott's Addition Development

varunner

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

DC developer Hoffman is planning a $133M, 400k sq ft, 6-story project on the block next with the big parking lot next to Handcraft building.  
https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/06/d-c-developer-hoffmann-planning-133m-mixed-use-project-in-scotts-addition/

This is a good example of the value of eliminating parking minimums. They’ll probably need at least 1.1 spaces/unit +something for commercial. If there were parking minimums similar to Nashville’s outside of the urban zoning overlay, they would need at least 1.3-1.4 spaces per units + something more for commercial. At 368 units, that opens up 25-35k SF for development. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

DC developer Hoffman is planning a $133M, 400k sq ft, 6-story project on the block next with the big parking lot next to Handcraft building.  
https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/06/d-c-developer-hoffmann-planning-133m-mixed-use-project-in-scotts-addition/

Wondering if folks saw Bruce's comment to this article. Great line:

I am wowed by the changes coming to Scotts Addition (and Manchester, where I can tell you, “you ain’t seen nothing yet!”).

Now I wonder to what he might be referring (in Manchester) - Avery Hall? Hourigan? Both? Something we don't yet know about?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rjp212 said:

ZCLR filed for a 5-story multifamily on the block containing the Old Dairy Bar and Tang & Biscuit.

NICE!  Two questions:

1.) The Dairy Bar is closed now, yes?

2.) Wonder if this building might be six stories- five occupied floors above a level of commercial? Or just five altogether?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Seems like a decent spot for a boutique hotel such as the Kimpton brand (e.g., the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria).

This is great. So, just off the top of my head, we are getting a boutique hotel in SA, a full reno for a hotel on monument just 5-6 blocks east of this SA hotel development, and a small very boutiquey hotel on CarySt and Meadow. Along with the Moxy downtown which is open and I'm seeing quite a few people coming in and out of it during the work week when I'm down there - foot traffic is great traffic!

Great!

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 3

This could be a bit larger than a boutique hotel. Besides Moxy, Shamin is mostly mass market Marriot brands. Didn't we discuss this project about a year ago when we first saw the zoning certificates? Was there a room count associated with that?

Edited by whw53
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Well, I was just suggesting the boutique concept for this spot -- but I hope! Much better than plunking a Residence Inn there.

Honestly, I would really like something like Moxy in there. It fits the vibes. Having a vanilla Residence Inn or Holiday Inn would absolutely suck the soul of that area. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blake_p said:

Soda Flats

image.jpeg.7616125bd468bcd3e15769f73d85afa0.jpeg

It's coming along really nicely!!

Can't wait for construction on the N. Chasen & Son site a block or so over to join the party (I know they're doing demo and site work now - but I mean construction in earnest)... Am guessing that the tower crane will be down from the Soda Flats by the time a crane (or two) pops up at the N. Chasen site.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

May not be too much longer before a crane.  Demo seems done. 

32B5E703-06CB-4A29-B010-0AA914D6CFCF.jpeg

5FF810BD-C20C-43F5-9A06-D6C3218A9FBC.jpeg

Thanks so much, @Brent114!! You've really earned your silver hardware these last couple of weeks, mate. 👍

Cool to see in picture 1 - the crane and part of the structure of the Soda Flats -- AND - - it looks like there are already excavators on the Chasen project site on the south side of Marshall Street (reddish-orange excavators) -- there might not have been much actual demo work necessary on that side of Marshall.

Cool to see in picture 2 - two of the new/recent apartment buildings that have risen in Scott's over the last few years - and glad to see excavators already on site. 

LET THE DIGGING BEGIN!!!

You might be right - if things co apace at the Chasen site - we could see a crane (or two) rise on that construction site before the one at Soda Flats comes down. Let's keep an eagle eye on this and see if we can get lucky and get some photos of ALL the cranes up there if that "crossover" in timing comes to pass!

• Like 1