Scott's Addition Development

varunner

@I miss RVA - there were a few other construction photos Ryan Ramsey had on his Richmond City Watch Facebook page that I could not "place" in my head what projects they were, but please go there and check it out.  Perhaps you will find photos that you recognize more so than I do.  When you do, post them here on this forum.  There are quite a few!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

SAY - the new crane at the VCU tech building on Broad -- that's a full boom or a mini? I don't think we've seen a picture of it in its completed form.

Okay - got the answer to that question - the VCU tech building crane is a full boom/tower and not a mini. SWEEEEEEEEET!!!

Photo courtesy of Ryan Ramsey of Richmond City Watch/Facebook page

317248772_438037085192385_663232184374089717_n.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

@I miss RVA - there were a few other construction photos Ryan Ramsey had on his Richmond City Watch Facebook page that I could not "place" in my head what projects they were, but please go there and check it out.  Perhaps you will find photos that you recognize more so than I do.  When you do, post them here on this forum.  There are quite a few!

Here are a few in Scott's. One of them has me puzzled as well.

1.) I forget the name - Scott's End, maybe? It's on Belleville - this is the one you can see the boom crane from a pretty good distance on I-195.

2.) The Otis - Roseneath Road. Boy - it feels like this one has been under construction FOR-EVERRRR... Glad it's wrapping up1

3.) I think this is one of the developments in Carver/Overbrook or on the near Northside/VUU area - the name of which escape me (and there are a bunch of new developments that are wrapping up, getting started or emerging from the pipeline in that part of town)

4.) THIS is the one that has me puzzled. Wait - is this construction happening on the west side of I-195? 

316235974_438037271859033_2825584489095995456_n.jpg

316181189_438037308525696_1747130973239962091_n.jpg

316959046_438036538525773_7980299884738013781_n.jpg

316161395_438037225192371_2942128687834274094_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Your cutoff is at 6 stories?

Yes, as I added it to track developments that were beyond the typical 5-over-1, but ultimately decided to include 6 story developments as many were significant enough.  When I created the list, anything over 6 floors was rare but that certainly changed over time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

#3 - the condos being built at the end of Roseneath at Carlton. 

Somehow I just now saw this. Okay - that makes sense. And you said this is the same developer who is building some of the projects in Carver?

Speaking of Carver/Hermitage/Overbrook/east of Diamond District - do we know the status of those two really big projects that are supposed to rise in that area along Hermitage Road? One of them, if memory serves, is on the site of the old lumber company. 

• 3 weeks later...

One that might've slipped past us: Blue Bee Cider's property and that really gorgeous cidery has sold for $2.9 million, according Friday's article in RBS. The cidery is going on winter hiatus right before Christmas - but according to Mike's reporting, Blue Bee owner Courtney Mailey (who was the seller for the property) is negotiating a deal with two of her employees to sell them the business, which bodes very well for the future of the business and the beautiful and unique building(s). If a deal is struck between them and the new owners of the property, the cidery could resume operations as early as February or March. Looks like it could be a win-win for all parties involved.

From Friday's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/16/blue-bee-cider-site-in-scotts-addition-sells-for-nearly-3m/

• Like 1

According to a ZCL filed today it looks like a hotel operator is interested in the Hardee's site. The comment description got it backward b\w existing and proposed but if you look at the attachment proposed use is hotel. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/752cb2d3-0fba-4e97-b9b2-c7a44fb45cff?tab=locations

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, whw53 said:

According to a ZCL filed today it looks like a hotel operator is interested in the Hardee's site. The comment description got it backward b\w existing and proposed but if you look at the attachment proposed use is hotel. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/752cb2d3-0fba-4e97-b9b2-c7a44fb45cff?tab=locations

Holy wow! This is very interesting. I wonder what they could develop on a footprint the size of that old Hardee's and parking lot? Greater than 5,000 sq ft of commercial space sounds promising!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Holy wow! This is very interesting. I wonder what they could develop on a footprint the size of that old Hardee's and parking lot? Greater than 5,000 sq ft of commercial space sounds promising!

Makes me think of this song and how the building could go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Actually, the parcel is pretty large.  See it here (a bird’s eye view) on a map.

I can see a 100-room hotel and 4 stories here.  I want to see more, but…you know, this is Richmond:

55DE920C-8EEC-4B12-A2BE-EA75AB6462DF.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Actually, the parcel is pretty large.  See it here (a bird’s eye view) on a map.

I can see a 100-room hotel and 4 stories here.  I want to see more, but…you know, this is Richmond:

So much for my up up and away theory, you’re probably right though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I can see it, actually. Integrate the parking and waste NO space for any kind of surface parking - and why not add a few more rooms and boost it up to five or six floors! That would certainly be consistent with height of other buildings rising or slated to rise in the immediate area.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Rut Rohhhhhhh... :tw_flushed:

THIS is troubling - Mike is reporting in today's RBS that Bonaventure is pulling the plug on it's 1700 Belleville Street "Scott's Edge II" development - two six-story apartment buildings that have been in the works since 2020. They're putting the property up for sale - and their offerings will include EVERYTHING - approved building plans and permits. Hoping an out-of-state developer with deep pockets (someone akin an Avery Hall kind of developer) will swoop in and buy this up and start construction, whether with these plans or -- as in the case of Avery Hall -- something even bigger and better!

One thing I found interesting - the current property owner/project developer said the state of the economy (meaning, higher interest rates and potential for an overall recession) was not a specific factor in the decision to pump the brakes and sell. Whether or not I believe him is another story...  

So this is the third time this has happened in the past year-plus with mixed results. The first - 512 Hull Street - is a disaster IMNSHO. The second - Avery Hall - is a HUGE win if we can get those two towers built!

Either way - from today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/09/developer-puts-scotts-addition-apartment-project-on-hold-up-for-sale/

scott-s-edge-phase-ii-street-view-building-a-700x467.jpg

bonaventure-belleville-scotts-edge-rendering-700x467.jpg

Screenshot (2823).png

Screenshot (2824).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Rut Rohhhhhhh... :tw_flushed:

THIS is troubling - Mike is reporting in today's RBS that Bonaventure is pulling the plug on it's 1700 Belleville Street "Scott's Edge II" development - two six-story apartment buildings that have been in the works since 2020. They're putting the property up for sale - and their offerings will include EVERYTHING - approved building plans and permits. Hoping an out-of-state developer with deep pockets (someone akin an Avery Hall kind of developer) will swoop in and buy this up and start construction, whether with these plans or -- as in the case of Avery Hall -- something even bigger and better!

One thing I found interesting - the current property owner/project developer said the state of the economy (meaning, higher interest rates and potential for an overall recession) was not a specific factor in the decision to pump the brakes and sell. Whether or not I believe him is another story...  

So this is the third time this has happened in the past year-plus with mixed results. The first - 512 Hull Street - is a disaster IMNSHO. The second - Avery Hall - is a HUGE win if we can get those two towers built!

Either way - from today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/09/developer-puts-scotts-addition-apartment-project-on-hold-up-for-sale/

scott-s-edge-phase-ii-street-view-building-a-700x467.jpg

bonaventure-belleville-scotts-edge-rendering-700x467.jpg

Screenshot (2823).png

Screenshot (2824).png

That's ok. Maybe someone else will buy the property and then up the height 😏

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Great feature article in today's RBS spotlighting progress on the Belleville in Scott's Addition. The six-story apartment building is really chugging along and is anchoring development on Scott's far western edge. Here's hoping that the now on-hold development just up the street - Scott's Edge II - will find a buyer/developer who will be ready, willing and able to hit the ground running to get that project underway - further strengthening the western/northwester portion of Scott's.

From today's RIchmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/26/project-snapshot-28m-belleville-apartments-rising-in-scotts-addition/

Belleville-Apts-KBS-1.jpg

Belleville-Apts-1.jpg

Belleville-Apts-rendering.png

Screenshot (2892).png

That is a lot of wood. Nuts that it's frame construction.

• Like 2