Buckingham Gulch Tower 38 Floors, 450+ ft., 345 residential units, 4,900 sq. ft. retail

Paramount747

No, this is a republic. A democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner. 

That's right! Democracy is just our method of electing office holders, not actually running anything. Socrates said "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others." He didn't know about representative government with checks and balances. What we do have in this country though is property rights, so Buckingham should be able to build 38 floors, or a 1 floor log cabin, which would be stupid and could never make profit so they wouldn't do that.

Edited by Philip

That's right! Democracy is just our method of electing office holders, not actually running anything. Socrates said "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others." He didn't know about representative government with checks and balances. What we do have in this country though is property rights, so Buckingham should be able to build 38 floors, or a 1 floor log cabin, which would be stupid and could never make profit so they wouldn't do that.

For those interested in the subject matter, there was a pretty exhaustive study that came out a year or two ago which empirically determined that America was actually an oligarchy.  Here's one article that touches on it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10769041/The-US-is-an-oligarchy-study-concludes.html

We were certainly founded as a Republic, but other than the electoral college and the common law power of judges, there's not much left in our system of government that resembles a republic anymore.  

For those interested in the subject matter, there was a pretty exhaustive study that came out a year or two ago which empirically determined that America was actually an oligarchy.  Here's one article that touches on it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10769041/The-US-is-an-oligarchy-study-concludes.html

We were certainly founded as a Republic, but other than the electoral college and the common law power of judges, there's not much left in our system of government that resembles a republic anymore.  

A worthy sidetrack but a sidetrack nonetheless. I will read that article later when I have the time, but alas, I just took out my pork butt that I smoked overnight so I must attend to it. I'm stoked for Thursday to hear whether this project gets approved or not (I can't imagine it not).

• Like 1

The only politics that should be discussed in relation to the building have to do with Metro. Please take other discussion to the Coffee House.

Thank you.

For several weeks, we've been discussing the influence that money can have on the 'politics' of development--both in terms of the ability of deep pocketed developers to skirt existing zoning regulations and the ability of rich neighbors to potentially to stall/stop projects they don't like.  FMDJ then made the classic and universally appreciated joke about the wolves and the sheep, Philip quotes Socrates, and somebody else posted the Boston Globe article about the Koch brothers part in shutting down the AMP this very morning.

Then I post an article showing there has actually been some pretty reputable research into the subject matter that we've been discussing for weeks now that backs up the political observations pretty much everyone here has been making, and suddenly we've got to move it to the coffee house?  Am I to assume political philosophizing is acceptable, just not political data?  

More importantly, I would've been happy to post my comment in the coffee house to begin with, but that's not where the comments that I was replying to were located.  Whose fault is that?

For several weeks, we've been discussing the influence that money can have on the 'politics' of development--both in terms of the ability of deep pocketed developers to skirt existing zoning regulations and the ability of rich neighbors to potentially to stall/stop projects they don't like.  FMDJ then made the classic and universally appreciated joke about the wolves and the sheep, Philip quotes Socrates, and somebody else posted the Boston Globe article about the Koch brothers part in shutting down the AMP this very morning.

Then I post an article showing there has actually been some pretty reputable research into the subject matter that we've been discussing for weeks now that backs up the political observations pretty much everyone here has been making, and suddenly we've got to move it to the coffee house?  Am I to assume political philosophizing is acceptable, just not political data?  

More importantly, I would've been happy to post my comment in the coffee house to begin with, but that's not where the comments that I was replying to were located.  Whose fault is that?

I don't think he meant anything by it other than fulfilling the role of moderator: no need to take it personally. I also tried to subtly redirect the talk to the Buckingham tower via delicious pulled pork, I felt anguish when they deferred the BZA board to 10/1, then again to 10/15. That said, few things are more enjoyable than philosophical debate.

Edited by Philip

I don't think he meant anything by it other than fulfilling the role of moderator: no need to take it personally. I also tried to subtly redirect the talk to the Buckingham tower via delicious pulled pork. That said, few things are more enjoyable than philosophical debate.

Agreed on all counts--especially the part about pork being delicious.  I simply took issue with the trend of selectively shutting down the discussion after some pretty innocuous substance has been brought in for support.  

In hindsight, it's my fault really.  Should've just said: 'Oligarchy--if you're not at the table, you're on the menu, amiright!?!'

This building to the left is not there anymore , but how will the  residents feel when someone develops  that property

Google earth pic

2015-10-12-07-12-14-1.png

Yep...that's the lot I was talking about.  Pretty sure the lady in 1212 will then complain that the new building next to her will block her view of the 38 story Buckingham! 

• Like 1

Why is it only zoned 16?

If I interpret downtown code correctly 10 + 6 is basically how all of the south gulch is zoned by default except for major intersections (Demonbruen and 12th, 12th and Division, 8th and Division). Those intersections are zoned 20 + 8 and why, counter intuitively to me, the sliver lot would be more valuable than the giant lot on the other side of Terrazzo.

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/dtc/DTC_150819.pdf

Edited by Leif
  • Like 1

This building to the left is not there anymore , but how will the  residents feel when someone develops  that property

Google earth pic

2015-10-12-07-12-14-1.png

As I understand the lots identified above, the one at left with the flat building (that is no longer there) is where MarketStreet is hoping to build an office tower (height not disclosed). 

The lot across the street (on this side) with the two smaller brick buildings fronting 12th Avenue (which are not there anymore either) is where Bloom wants to build Corner's 5-Star hotel tower. Those two brick buildings are what were demolished earlier this year to make the lot more attractive to prospective developers. Nothing has been disclosed since then.

Look, I wasn't trying to bust anyone's chops here. I realize there are going to be little tangents here or there...pretty much everyone is guilty of that. Politics and development are intertwined, yes. Developers and zoning regulations? Money buying influence? Sure. That's fine as long as it fits the topic. The Koch brothers helping stymie the Amp? It was in the transit thread. I'd say that's appropriate.

But when we go from talking about the Buckingham Gulch proposal to what type of government America has, then we are too far off topic.

I'm not trying to censor anyone's opinions. I'm not trying to squash the discussion (if I had, I would have deleted the posts). I'm simply stating that if you want to continue down that path, please take it to the coffee house. I'm trying to be polite about it. Please respect that.

• Like 2

Okay, I'll start this thread. Lets see what happens.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/08/developer-proposes-the-gulchs-tallest-tower.html

Lets give this tower an official home and thread

Paramount,

My apologies for my late arrival to this thread.  If you announced this on The Gulch Projects thread, I must have missed it.  Thanks for getting this started!

I just hope the "gold" color doesn't turn out like these buildings in Tulsa. 

4905657293_c7892eb8ec_z.jpg

Titanhog, I watched these go up while in Tulsa from '79 - '86.  Would anyone like me to sing the ORU fight song?  jk

• Like 1

^City of Faith looks more like it belongs in Buck Rogers' time (late '70s view of the 25th Century). I understand many of the floors in the complex have never been finished since its construction.

The praying hands sticking out of the ground (which I think have been moved to in front of another building) always gave me the creeps as a kid.  All I could think of was there were the Devil's hands reaching up to pull someone down under ground. 

prayinghands.jpg

Ok...sorry for the sidetrack.  Now...back to Buckingham in the Gulch...