Buckingham Gulch Tower 38 Floors, 450+ ft., 345 residential units, 4,900 sq. ft. retail

Paramount747

Over regulation and too much community input. Too many committees and too many agencies make it a wonder why anyone builds here. It's one reason I have not taken the plunge and developed some properties like I always wanted to do. I have looked to purchase a couple of properties in East Nashville, one is an empty lot just waiting to be developed but I simply do not want the headache.

This is the example I was talking about look at that shadow from the terrazzo building this is about 8 o'clock in the morning it takes the entire day until mid-afternoon for the  shadow of terrazzo to even get close to my building

since Buckingham is built on the same street the shadow will be casted over the interstate most of the day, then should be over top of sambuca in the afternoon then about 4 or 5it should hit the icon, by then, the swimming pool at the icon I would have lost it sunlight about 3 p.m.

Screenshots_2015-09-23-22-09-31.png

• Like 2

This picture just proves that the Buckingham building shadow won't touch any of the buildings in concern until way later in the afternoon

The shadow of the Buckingham building will be over sambuca about 1 or 2 o'clock then possibly touching the front of icon about 4 terrazzo which I don't believe it even be affected by Buckingham ,Terrazzo  shadow is hitting Buckingham first thing in the morning! 

Edited by chris holman

Remember the most vocal of the three of four people against theBuckingham lives in 1212. The one Terrazzo resident ended up being for it intheendafter getting the site plan from Buckingham and one of the other people living in ICON was basically not as against the project as he was at  the beginning.

My gut tells me this will pass.

This is the example I was talking about look at that shadow from the terrazzo building this is about 8 o'clock in the morning it takes the entire day until mid-afternoon for the  shadow of terrazzo to even get close to my building

since Buckingham is built on the same street the shadow will be casted over the interstate most of the day, then should be over top of sambuca in the afternoon then about 4 or 5it should hit the icon, by then, the swimming pool at the icon I would have lost it sunlight about 3 p.m.

Sun now versus sun in June are different, so that's not exactly true. Not trying to cast doubt on the project, but the axis of Earth in Summer versus fall (albeit 2 days in) is going to put the sun higher in the sky, so shadow cast would hit different areas.

• Like 3

Remember the most vocal of the three of four people against theBuckingham lives in 1212. The one Terrazzo resident ended up being for it intheendafter getting the site plan from Buckingham and one of the other people living in ICON was basically not as against the project as he was at  the beginning.

My gut tells me this will pass.

I haven't watched all the video yet but the woman from 1212 is on the Gulch facing side on the 15th floor, so in all likelihood she's looking directly at a MarketStreet office tower in a few years anyway. How anyone looked at those units and didn't consider view impact is beyond me.

• Like 3

I haven't watched all the video yet but the woman from 1212 is on the Gulch facing side on the 15th floor, so in all likelihood she's looking directly at a MarketStreet office tower in a few years anyway. How anyone looked at those units and didn't consider view impact is beyond me.

Goes to show you that money does not necessarily equal brains.

• Like 3

Goes to show you that money does not necessarily equal brains.

The DTC changes she refers to seem to be this which I don't take to be a hard cap on height as defined by DTC in 2010.

For modifications to overall height, the Executive Director of the Planning Department shall determine whether the development has made reasonable efforts to use all appropriate bonuses available in the Bonus Height Program. The Executive Director’s decision may be appealed to the DTC DRC/MDHA DRC. If it has been determined that all reasonable efforts have been made to use the Bonus Height Program, the applicant shall hold a community meeting providing notices to property owners within 300 feet, and the Planning Commission shall review the modification request and may grant additional height for exceptional design, including but not limited to unique architecture, exceptionally strong streetscape, and improvement of the project’s relationship to surrounding properties.

Yes Leif you hit it squarely on the nails head. In a few years, she will have no view and if she bought that unit just for the view, she is an idiot!

It's called stupidity. Back when The Rhythm was being built, an executive from HCA asked me about the lot next to it on the interstate side, if they could block the view on that side with another building. In short my answer was yes, however I thought it would be a while. Now the other side is about to be blocked by a parking garage that Elmington will start after the first of the year. 

You have to do your research when buying in the burbs or in the core. Views are not guaranteed, unless someone like Tony buys the air rights over an adjacent lot like he is doing with the south side of the tower where the pool is going.

Sometimes it is the cool factor when being surrounded by tall buildings like it is in Chicago.

As for 1212, the code will allow for 24 stories to go on the other two corners of 12th and Demonbreun. I think that Market Street go go a minimum of 12 on the south side of 1212, maybe taller, but not sure. The formula changes on streets that are not considered main thoroughfares.

Interesting though to think about what Nashville, the Gulch in particular, is going through what NYC went through back in the early 20th century, which all resulted in the setback regulations that have been in effect since then.  So a taller building might go on any of those corners, but the developer would have to show an effort to consider the sun exposure to the buildings around it, basically trading some of the horizontal space for more vertical space. 

It's called stupidity. Back when The Rhythm was being built, an executive from HCA asked me about the lot next to it on the interstate side, if they could block the view on that side with another building. In short my answer was yes, however I thought it would be a while. Now the other side is about to be blocked by a parking garage that Elmington will start after the first of the year. 

You have to do your research when buying in the burbs or in the core. Views are not guaranteed, unless someone like Tony buys the air rights over an adjacent lot like he is doing with the south side of the tower where the pool is going.

Sometimes it is the cool factor when being surrounded by tall buildings like it is in Chicago.

As for 1212, the code will allow for 24 stories to go on the other two corners of 12th and Demonbreun. I think that Market Street go go a minimum of 12 on the south side of 1212, maybe taller, but not sure. The formula changes on streets that are not considered main thoroughfares.

Did 1212 get a height variance? Because reading DTC it seems like that lot should be capped at about 16 stories with bonus

I saw that after I checked the agenda. They may have not been able to get the study done in the time allowed.

I'd asked because Freddie O'Connell mentioned trying to pull together a community meeting this week (which doesn't seem likely now) so thought perhaps it was deferred more than just two weeks.