The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

7 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

They do walk in cities that are actually built for it.  In most parts of Nashville you'd be taking your life in your hands to walk anywhere, and it'd take you half the day to get wherever it is you're going.  In other words, Nashville is very spread out, and it's infrastructure is very poorly funded.  I also wasn't aware that walking was a feminine thing.  I do it all the time!  Hmm... @nativetenn maybe I am a woman afterall!  lol

Yeah, but Nashville CBD is not that big. Are people actually riding scooters all over the metro ?

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yeah, but Nashville CBD is not that big. Are people actually riding scooters all over the metro ?

I've road them from my hood to the stadium. From the Stadium to midtown. All over Germantown, all over Sobro/Pietown and all around my neighborhood, they make great little brewery hoppers (at the beginning...). 

A friend of mine routinely takes them from middle to deep East Nashville to downtown. 

All over Metro, probably not, I mean I doubt people are riding them from Old Hickory to Belle Meade, haha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yea I am with Pete on this one. The lines of what we call downtown or the CBD are now being blurred . Our core runs about 3 miles by a mile and a half and its doing nothing but getting filled in. That is one reason why we are not getting a tall boy here. Compared to Charlotte's CBD, the Nashville CDB is small as far as buildings go but Charlotte is a much smaller geographical area being hemmed in by the interstate compared to Nashville. Charlotte does not have a lot of height outside of the core. where as Nashville has quiet a bit.

This is our curse as we have just tons of space for high-rise buildings to run the entire length of the Broadway, West End corridor which is about three miles maybe a little more. This does not count the hundreds of acres on the East Bank that is also available for redevelopment. Not to mention the vacant lots, developers continue to take down older low rise buildings.

If I were to take a guess at the amount of land that could be redeveloped inside the I24/ I40 & I440 loop my guess would be in the neighborhood of at least 2000 acres of infill.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I've road them from my hood to the stadium. From the Stadium to midtown. All over Germantown, all over Sobro/Pietown and all around my neighborhood, they make great little brewery hoppers (at the beginning...). 

A friend of mine routinely takes them from middle to deep East Nashville to downtown. 

All over Metro, probably not, I mean I doubt people are riding them from Old Hickory to Belle Meade, haha.

I ride them all over DT, Midtown, up to the Farmers Market, and out to Five Points on a regular basis. 

• Like 4

Just now, nativetenn said:

Why isn't there a NASCAR-like event with Bird scooters instead of cars? Give these people a ractrack, booze and hot wings and let them race each other all day. They'll never leave and it will take the morons of Nashville off the streets. 

That woman is driving like she's three sheets in the wind.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 2:59 PM, e-dub said:

I'm not in favor of banning the scooters, but this woman has precisely zero business using one in this state.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrXexyfg80V/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1b6jv5hkk7p66

This video has gotten some legs, I've seen it shared a lot on various platforms around the internet.