The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

For the amount of transit traffic they’re planning on sending downtown a tunnel is definitely the most desirable, IMO. It’s a permanent solution that causes the least amount of disruption. All I worry about is cost overruns. 

Forgive me if this has already been explained in press releases from the mayor’s office, but did Ms. Ikard mention where additional funding would come from if the 25% of funding they’re projecting will come from the federal government falls through? 

On 12/15/2017 at 10:15 AM, SoundScan said:

Thought experiment: If tomorrow morning suddenly 20% of all vehicles on the road were fully autonomous (Level 5 autonomy--which doesn't yet exist) what impact do you think it would have on traffic and commute times? I would argue little if any effect at all. And thinking realistically, the 20% AV fleet penetration milestone is likely 20 years away.

Check out the work of Boston Consulting Group on this topic.  3 links below.

https://www.bcg.com/publications/2017/reimagined-car-shared-autonomous-electric.aspx

and

BCG-Making-Autonomous-Vehicles-a-Reality

• Like 3

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎05 at 10:47 PM, LA_TN said:
On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎10 at 4:32 AM, markhollin said:

Proponents included representatives of Nashville's major colleges and universities, groups representing engineers, architects, environmentalists, and realtors, high school and college students, the Nashville Predators, walking and biking advocates, church leaders, union members, and a wide-range of other businesses and organizations including the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce.

I'm not trying to reignite the same old transit-versus-no-transit discussion, but it's interesting to me that guys like Randall O'Toole who speak out against this plan get called out for being paid shills, while the groups in favor, some of whom clearly have a financial interest in seeing it approved, seem to get a free pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Point taken, but they don't stand to gain in the same way.  A local university , for example, would stand to gain from a mass transit system, in the sense that it would be easier for students and employees to get to and from school/work, so it's understandable as to why they would support improved mass transit plan.  They might benefit financially in some way, but money is not their primary motivation, in other words.

I was thinking more about, say, the architects and engineers who could stand to get tens of millions in planning and design work from this (I'm one of them), or (hypothetically, don't know which ones spoke) a public transit employees union who would secure jobs for their members, and pocket their dues in return. My firm has flown in several not-cheap colleagues to talk to public officials about the plan and engage in other fact-finding activities; they aren't paying to do it because they're just so gung-ho about making sure Nashvillians get light rail.

Or for that matter, even Streetsblog (among other sites), it's not immediately clear why a writer in Cleveland with no apparent ties to Middle Tennessee feels compelled to take the time to warn us off a writer in Portland with no apparent ties to Middle Tennessee. If O'Toole is only speaking out against transit because he's a hired gun, then why is Streetsblog only speaking out for transit?

My point is not to just flip the same fallacious argument, but nonetheless it concerns me when issues so decidedly local in scope attract the attention of those elsewhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Got this e-mail today.  Some good, practical moves to help with mass transit:

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 3.07.57 PM.png

The simplified payment system and real-time tracking are awesome. I would probably ride the bus more often if 1. It was easier to pay and 2. I knew I wasn’t going to have to sit for an hour waiting for a bus to arrive. 

1 hour ago, Neigeville2 said:

Dean's approach to the Amp looked kind of like, hey, well, let's build this, uh...West End is a major street...uh, BRT seems cheap... whereas Barry's plan seems pretty thoroughly thought out, in practical terms as well as politically, which makes me optimistic.   

Great point! This has been a much better run campaign for transit than the Amp. Most of my initial issues with the plan were answered by the mayor’s administration. I’m not much of a Barry fan but I admit that she’s doing a good job with selling this plan to Nashville, from someone who typically wouldn’t be very gung-ho about a project of this size (and cost!). 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

I think this is taking a false equivalency too far.   There is such a thing as being pro-truth, everything is not subjective or relative, and in the billionaire/oligarch economy there are endless "think tanks", astroturf groups and paid shills doing nothing but muddying the waters on every issue; I'm thankful to anyone shining a light on them to try and keep the debate honest.  It's not like "big transit" has its tentacles in everything the way the Kochs, Mercers etc. do.

I said I didn't want to restart the transit argument, and here I am doing it, so I'll stop here.

Streetsblog, to keep picking on them, is run by OpenPlans, which is a non-profit in NYC. Two large donors to OpenPlans are NACTO (National Association of City Transportation Officials) and ITDP (Institute for Transportation and Development Policy).

Why NACTO wants more transit funding is pretty obvious. ITDP seems a little more tangential, but some of their large donors include the architects and engineers I was referring to earlier. If you like tentacles, it seems Google and the World Bank (I guess for the international programs) lend a lot of help as well.

[For better or worse, there is a lot of money in transit; I don't remember the exact number but public transportation agencies in the US spend something like $60 billion per year on transit (operation, maintenance, and capital improvement). It's not Koch Industries but it's nothing to sneeze at.]

Now maybe the motivations of a bunch of non-profits are more pure than those of industrial conglomerates, I don't know, but again there's still a lot of money flying around either way. I read a fair amount of Streetsblog and, just like Randall O'Toole hasn't met a transit plan he likes, Streetsblog hasn't met one they don't like. I have a hard time believing that either party is simply pro-truth when the truth just so happens to always be the same position, or that one is just trying to bring some transparency and honesty to the debate when doing so happens to fit their position on it. Surely there exist both good and bad transit plans?

Anyway, again my point is that there seem to be a lot of external actors who know what's best for Nashville, one way or the other.

• Like 2

Nashville Metro Council members gave their overwhelming endorsement Thursday night to hold a public referendum on Mayor Megan Barry's transit proposal, setting up likely council approval in the coming weeks to add the measure to the May ballot.

A special council committee composed of the entire body voted 29 to 1, with one abstention, to recommend that the transit referendum be added to the May ballot. Barry wants voters to approve raising four taxes, including sales tax, to pay for a $5.4 billion transit infrastructure plan.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/01/11/nashville-council-overwhelmingly-endorses-holding-vote-barrys-transit-plan-tax-increases/1025154001/

• Like 4

I support the Beaman Group's attempt to ask hard questions and hold the Barry admin.'s feet to the proverbial fire. If anyone on this board believer the 9billion budget figure will be the landed costs I have some lakefront real estate on Lake Palmer to sell you. ha

Edited by Guest

^ Of course Lee Beaman doesn’t support policies that are directly opposed to his financial well-being, why should he be? If I own a butchers shop, wouldn’t I be expected, without being treated like the devil, to be opposed to policies that reward and spread veganism? Like @PruneTracy elaborated earlier in this thread, there are financial pulls on both sides of the debate that color the way advocacy groups lobby the public. 

• Like 1

The question is whether or not what Barry and her administration proposes for $9 Billion is  a "fix" that is a 20th century fix instead of a 21st century fix.  Transportation is evolving (like so many other technologies out there)...and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate move or not.  I'm glad she and the city are trying to figure out a plan...but is this the right one?