Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

I will agree that there is backlash against the UDO but I've said on here before that the UDO is this mandate to densify and yet the city lacks a credible, confidence-inspiring, and TACTICAL transit strategy to move people (including choice riders) from one cluster of density to the next.  Naturally, residents are going to be resistant to a density mandate that doesn't integrate a mobility plan that everyone has signed on to. 

Council-members who didn't vote on the UDO are now in their seats and concerned that suddenly, because of provisions of the UDO, they have less of a role to play in mitigating the impact of density on existing residents through the back-and-forth that takes place during rezoning negotiations.  I'm not saying I agree with folks like Renee Johnson and Victoria Watlington by any stretch, but I also am not ignorant of the fact that they represent a vast and simmering sentiment in this city that's basically gone unaddressed.

Let's not forget the enormously impactful mass rezoning orchestrated by Taiwo that took place in 2019.  This mass-action, which doesn't happen everyday in any city anywhere, basically was a proactive measure to steer density in areas where the city wanted it.  It's doing what it intended and developers have responded.  Mass rezoning of largely vacant or industrial zones is quite a bit different than neighbors seeing the clear-cutting of trees in tracts around the city.  I think it good that the Neighborhood Character Overlay meetings are happening now so that some of these anxieties can get addressed sooner than later.

Edited by RANYC
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, RANYC said:

That multi-family is butt ugly.  You'd think given taxpayers are conveying the land to him below market value, that perhaps the community could have weighed in on aesthetics.  There's definitely a party that dominates local politics and it begins with a big "D."  Doormat.  But alas, you can't win them all.  I suppose eliminating a big surface lot is a win.

Maybe in an attempt to provide an abundance of "affordable" units, the design/materials are scaled down?

3 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Then I'll have to push to have elevations added back to all submissions. Charlotteans have a right to know what the projects being built in their backyards look like.

I can't believe the city hasn't required this already. Where I work we have specific design requirements and require elevation submittals for every site plan (that is not a single-family home) in order to ensure better cohesion with the street. 

1 hour ago, Nathan2 said:

I can't believe the city hasn't required this already. Where I work we have specific design requirements and require elevation submittals for every site plan (that is not a single-family home) in order to ensure better cohesion with the street. 

It absolutely WAS a requirement. Now it no longer seems to be, virtually no approved plans include elevations any longer. They are only shown at rezoning hearings.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Sad 2

58 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Are the city/county serious about real headway on affordable housing in a smart and scalable way, or are they more interested in flexing their muscle to dole out dollars via the Housing Trust Fund to their friends?

Naturally Occurring Affordable Housing: Is this a real solution or merely a way to buy out densification rights and sabotage higher density redevelopment of old, low-rise complexes in the path of urban densification?

Can we consider a Multi-Family Tax Exemption program?  Such a program gives a real “carrot” to developers who actually build at scale and can weave affordable units into their projects.  Bellevue, WA created a 12-year tax exemption program for developers who make at least 20% of their projects affordable units.  The tax incentive has spurred 3295 new units (built or in pipeline) with 659 of them designated for those making <80% of the AMI.  This incentive has the effect of both increasing stock of workforce and lower-income housing, integrating such housing into market rate housing, and also increasing the stock of market rate housing as well to relieve market pressure on prices due to supply constraints.

The program reduces permit fees, eases parking requirements, and markets itself to builders nationwide to demystify the market they’re moving into should they decide to build in Bellevue and leverage the tax exemption.

The program is available anywhere property is zoned for multi-family.  There are high-rise apartments in downtown that are leveraging the program, upgrading land use in the core city and putting a density of much needed residents there.

Seriously this isn’t rocket science.  What the hell are Lyles, Jones, Dodson actually doing?  I hate jumping to conclusions because I’m constantly traveling for work and can’t show up to all the various meetings that get held, but I’m just blown away at how little seems to get done to address complex problems.  Is it the heat here?

Excellently stated. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, RANYC said:

Seriously this isn’t rocket science.  What the hell are Lyles, Jones, Dodson actually doing?  I hate jumping to conclusions because I’m constantly traveling for work and can’t show up to all the various meetings that get held, but I’m just blown away at how little seems to get done to address complex problems.  Is it the heat here?

I'd say Jones and Dodson, because I don't know how much sway the mayor actually has since its a figurehead position. 

• Like 3

On 7/31/2023 at 6:26 PM, RANYC said:

If Walton Plaza is demolished AND vertical construction has begun before 12/31, I will GLADLY buy you a holiday cocktail at Humbug, Dram & Draught, or The Conspiracy.

Can I extend your offer out by 24 months LOL?

From the Charlotte Ledger today:

The developers, Peebles Corp. and Conformity Corp., didn’t reply this week to inquiries from The Ledger about the project’s timing. The county declined to make anyone available, but a spokeswoman answered a series of written questions. “After horizontal improvements are completed, multi-family residential is expected to be the first vertical construction,” the county said. It previously said construction should start this fall.

The responses said the county will “stay involved to assure compliance as the development process progresses. This includes assuring that the affordable housing requirements are met.” It did not provide specifics on the number of units to be initially built.

The county said it has no updated renderings.

The next land sale, the county said, is “expected within 5-6 years, but the Developer has up to 8 years to close on the next phase dependent on market conditions for development.”

>>> Our best hope for this whole area is some other developers come along and offer to buy some of his optioned parcels outright. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Can I extend your offer out by 24 months LOL?

From the Charlotte Ledger today:

The developers, Peebles Corp. and Conformity Corp., didn’t reply this week to inquiries from The Ledger about the project’s timing. The county declined to make anyone available, but a spokeswoman answered a series of written questions. “After horizontal improvements are completed, multi-family residential is expected to be the first vertical construction,” the county said. It previously said construction should start this fall.

The responses said the county will “stay involved to assure compliance as the development process progresses. This includes assuring that the affordable housing requirements are met.” It did not provide specifics on the number of units to be initially built.

The county said it has no updated renderings.

The next land sale, the county said, is “expected within 5-6 years, but the Developer has up to 8 years to close on the next phase dependent on market conditions for development.”

>>> Our best hope for this whole area is some other developers come along and offer to buy some of his optioned parcels outright. 

Damn, I was really hoping to be wrong

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

Biz Journal has a huge article on Brooklyn Village development and Peebles.  I will let others talk about the delays mentioned and so forth to where we are at today.

from the article:

""The property just acquired, at 700 and 800 E. Brooklyn Village Ave., will be divided into six separate parcels. Development there will include multifamily housing with at least 10% priced under market value, 106,800 square feet of retail, 531,600 square feet of office space and a 150-room hotel. Th

e apartment component will include 20,000 square feet of retail, a 420-unit high-rise and a 120-unit low-rise building, and a parking deck. 

“We’re going to spend a good amount of time prepping pad sites and utilities and doing necessary infrastructure work. That’s the first order of business,” Peebles said. “Then the multifamily component is, without a doubt, second order.”

Peebles said a multifamily developer for the first phase has been identified but no deal is in place yet.""

""A planned hotel is expected to have 13 floors and include a conference center, ground-floor retail and green space along Brooklyn Village Avenue. The office component is expected to include a 24-story building and a 16-story building, with the first seven levels of each encompassing ground-floor retail and a parking garage.

“In Phase I, there’s still a planned office component, but we’re moving forward with multifamily first because it’s really a catalyst to any urban environment,” he said. “Having beds nearby is a big driver for ancillary uses.” 

Additional phases will be developed on 5.43 acres at Marshall Park at 303 S. McDowell St., and the 5.91-acre former Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Board of Education building at 701 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. According to the county, the land purchase for Phase II will cost BK Partners $17.5 million, and Phase III will be $5.9 million, as outlined in the development agreement.""

as for the office building I dont see that happening anytime soon especially at that site.  Maybe after the Pearl gets going and leased up maybe there will be some spillover.  Residential and hotel is needed.  

NY developer Don Peebles opens up on Brooklyn Village project - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""The timeline for the second phase is undetermined. The plan for the overall development, expected to rise over the next decade, calls for: 1,243 residential units, including at least 114 affordable homes; 170 condos; 712,400 square feet of office space; 252,000 square feet of retail space; 3,700 square feet of cultural space; 280 hotel rooms; and an estimated $13.5 million in infrastructure improvements.""

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

I'll be honest, the only thing I could think about after reading that article was "a good amount of time." While there is an extent to which that is inevitable, I also read it as an excuse for however slow development occurs.  

You’re not wrong, but if they are tearing down doing utilities and doing a concrete pad we are going to be seeing a lot of investment in the site. Have to think they are serious, even if slow, if they are putting in the investment. So progress is good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m no expert, but why not target buildings like this for residential conversion? It’s small in scale, (was) public owned, sandwiched between two multi family projects. This particular parcel has plenty of developable space to help connect with BKV proper.

Seems like a step or two above the NOAH (Naturally Occurring Affordable Housing, sp?) concept with hotels/extended stays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1