Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

8 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

yea not sure how that slipped by me, Accela has become impossible to navigate and I happened to look on Meck permits and it was there despite not having an approved plan that I can find on Accela.

it's all good.  I'm just verifying that I don't owe @KJHburgany drinks...call it, closing the books on fiscal year 2023

Edited by RANYC
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/18/2023 at 12:05 AM, lit said:

I wonder if they'll utilize the old pedestrian tunnel that runs under Stonewall / Brooklyn Village Ave right there

Hope to.  Took cap off on our side and stairs are still there (filled with granite chips).  Looking closely, you'll note a period decorative light pole which lit that stair originally.  Unfortunately, MeckCo removed stair on the other side  of street when expanding SWIM MAC pool seating.

• Thanks 1

This reply and previous comment is in regard to a pedestrian tunnel that existed for decades under Independence/Stonewall from the now-former Walton building and the current Aquatic Center. Second Ward High School was on the site where the current Metro School is located. When Independence/Stonewall was "improved" in the 1950's (I think) access was provided for students and others to and from the school to allow for crossing for bus transportation and other uses. There was no other way to traverse the five-six lane stroad for nearly a block in either direction. Pure urban removal thinking. 

There was another one from lower Independence Park to Memorial Stadium which I believe remains and I have used in the past to access events at the stadium. The Brooklyn Village one had steps descending while the Stadium/park tunnel is a walk through.

• Like 3

Second Ward High School closed in 1969 and was demolished 2-3 years later. At that point the tunnel was unnecessary. Cars, concrete and "progress" won. It then attracted risk takers of all kinds. The underground passage was closed at some point in the 70's and then capped. The tunnel is there if there is reason to resurrect it. 

Imagine today if someone suggested to build tunnels under city streets for students to access a school. More than one tunnel and more than one school. Segregation bore strange fruit. (A shiny dime to those who recognize the allusion.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...