5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

I *really* hope this happens. I somehow managed to miss those previous renderings.  This would make downtown even more of a go-to spot for visitors and people that don't live in the CBD, and its pedestrianized environment would likely help attract more residents.

If it keeps on track to look like those renderings, this will probably be my favorite development of the last few years.  Not only for the fact that the development itself is awesome, but for the fact that the old convention center just kills that side of Broadway.  Even when it was more active and had stuff going on, the way it addressed the street with big concrete walls just made it an unpleasant spot to be in, especially when contrasted with the vibrancy of the lower blocks and the other side of the street.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 4

Well, my only question is who is going to finance $400,000,000.00 for a project with no pre-leases and pre-sales? That is a lot of coin to throw at a project like this. I am not sure with our tourism and amount of those living in the core, if we have enough people. Do we even know what banks are going to carry the paper on this?

This is as far from reality as the original Signature Tower or May Town Center was, but I will remain cautiously optimistic. This is where our IKEA should go. The amount of people that would be drawn downtown for that would be tremendous!

Edited by Urban Architecture

Well, my only question is who is going to finance $400,000,000.00 for a project with no pre-leases and pre-sales? That is a lot of coin to throw at a project like this. I am not sure with our tourism and amount of those living in the core, if we have enough people. Do we even know what banks are going to carry the paper on this?

This is as far from reality as the original Signature Tower or May Town Center was, but I will remain cautiously optimistic. This is where our IKEA should go. The amount of people that would be drawn downtown for that would be tremendous!

I think you will have different investment groups John. It will probably be a very complicated project, financially speaking.

As far as IKEA, I would lay money it will not happen at this location.

That site would not fit their model. They have a store in Atlanta that is semi urban with a huge parking lot and not a garage. The retail in that space would cater more to tourism and downtown residents. An IKEA is a destination retail locatio like, Bass Pro or Cabella's. It would not be a good fit at that location.

Not shooting you down on the IKEA, John, just that location. They will not spend the money to go into a location like that.

That site would not fit their model. They have a store in Atlanta that is semi urban with a huge parking lot and not a garage. The retail in that space would cater more to tourism and downtown residents. An IKEA is a destination retail locatio like, Bass Pro or Cabella's. It would not be a good fit at that location.

Not shooting you down on the IKEA, John, just that location. They will not spend the money to go into a location like that.

It has a parking garage and surface parking... but I digress, it's not going to work because they won't pay anywhere near that much per square foot.

• Like 1

Agreed...IKEA is nice, but I've never seen them do a store that wasn't the typical 'big box surrounded by surface parking' model, not even in urban locations.  I've seen IKEA's all over the world...Brooklyn...Brussels...Madrid...Bangkok...Shanghai...none of them deviate from this model.  Even ones in it's native Sweden.  I have no idea why, it makes no sense to me, but they don't.  So for that reason, it really wouldn't be a good fit for the site on Broadway.  Hell, for that reason, I doubt it would even physically FIT on the site on Broadway either!  haha

Edited by BnaBreaker

Well, considering the product, it makes sense that parking gets a lot of priority. I envision customers having trouble getting that cheap sofa back to their micro-apartment if they took the bus to the store.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 2

Well, considering the product, it makes sense that parking gets a lot of priority. I envision customers having trouble getting that cheap sofa back to their micro-apartment if they took the bus to the store.

I was thinking the same thing.

IKEA has only one place where it needs to go, and that is at the old Hickory Hollow Mall. You talk about revitalization to go along with the Ford Ice Center and the library...

This.....although I do think it's safe to say any chances of Ikea coming here at this point are dead in the water, anyway.

• Like 1

IKEA has only one place where it needs to go, and that is at the old Hickory Hollow Mall. You talk about revitalization to go along with the Ford Ice Center and the library...

Brilliant! As is the other idea of across from the mall. 

Just up 24 for me is nice, too!  :good:

Edited by MetroTN