Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw on Greenville Today this morning that Starbucks is rumored to be in the Camperdown project.  I have not heard this and did not see on preliminary site plans.  If this is true, this will make 5 locations downtown, including the Pete Hollis location and rumored drive thru location by Fluor Field.  Camperdown would be literally one block away from the Riverplace location.  Can downtown support so many coffee shops in such a small area without hurting the local shops?  Also, any word on when the retail tenants will be announced?

1 hour ago, greenvilleguy said:

Just saw on Greenville Today this morning that Starbucks is rumored to be in the Camperdown project.  I have not heard this and did not see on preliminary site plans.  If this is true, this will make 5 locations downtown, including the Pete Hollis location and rumored drive thru location by Fluor Field.  Camperdown would be literally one block away from the Riverplace location.  Can downtown support so many coffee shops in such a small area without hurting the local shops?  Also, any word on when the retail tenants will be announced?

This article is older but it claims that Starbucks actually helps the local shops more than hurting them.  I've seen other articles claiming the same thing. 

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2007/12/why-starbucks-actually-helps-mom-and-pop-coffeehouses.html

42 minutes ago, SVL said:

This article is older but it claims that Starbucks actually helps the local shops more than hurting them.  I've seen other articles claiming the same thing. 

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2007/12/why-starbucks-actually-helps-mom-and-pop-coffeehouses.html

It has to help the local shops, especially if you want good tasting coffee. For example, I pass at least two Starbucks on the way to Due South Coffee. There is no comparison between local coffee shops and Starbucks. Now, if you want one of frappy things, go to Starbucks. 

3 hours ago, greenvilleguy said:

Probably can. There is one in Haywood Mall, one across the street on Haywood, one less that a mile at Laurens and Haywood.

2 hours ago, SVL said:

Seems like I remember an article like that about Liquid Highway on E North St when Starbucks opened right beside them.  Maybe the one at Camperdown will be inside the AC Hotel with street/plaza access like the Hyatt location.  Aren't both hotels owned by the same company?

9 hours ago, sptgguy said:

I hope they put in some potted trees or extensive shade sails/structures in the courtyard. If not, that thing is going to be an overn from late April to early November. 

Those tall white poles in the plaza area are for a shade structure. The image below gives you a good sense of where this shade structure and trees will go: 

951074C2-9F97-493F-884E-1FDB5C1CFA16.jpeg

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sptgguy said:

I hope they put in some potted trees or extensive shade sails/structures in the courtyard. If not, that thing is going to be an overn from late April to early November. 

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/116229-camperdown-greenville-news-building-site/?do=findComment&comment=1698399

The beginning of this video shows the plan pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Just imagine if Greenlink or the Swamp Rabbit Trail would be given $20 million. Priorities. 

$20 million dollars in public space improvements that will assist in generating tax revenues for the City. 100% worth it to get a high quality public plaza and to have this large city block densely developed. Can't wait to watch the energy and growth in the core react and grow once this is fully open to the public. It's definitely going to have some pull. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

$20 million dollars in public space improvements that will assist in generating tax revenues for the City. 100% worth it to get a high quality public plaza and to have this large city block densely developed. Can't wait to watch the energy and growth in the core react and grow once this is fully open to the public. It's definitely going to have some pull. 

I believe some of that money also went to the improvements in Falls Park connecting Camperdown and the Grand Bohemian. That whole area is going be special when it's all said and done.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SVL said:

I believe some of that money also went to the improvements in Falls Park connecting Camperdown and the Grand Bohemian. That whole area is going be special when it's all said and done.

All the details here: https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/7390?fileID=35003

Document includes breakdowns for each of the below categories along with more design documents and pictures

Plaza- $16,113,643

Riverscape- $2,396,813

Bowater Public Access- $1,153,578

Total- $19,664,034