More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

8 hours ago, Dale said:

I'm happy that 505 CST will offset will offset the rather banal Snodgrass, which currently dominates from most perspectives. Is it built on a higher elevation ?

I wouldn't say it will offset it at all. Snodgrass is off on the one end of the skyline and 505 will be in the middle amongst a cluster of buildings, only modestly higher than its neighbor Fifth Third, which sits diagonally across the street. The base elevation between both is around 35-40 feet, with Snodgrass sitting at around 540 feet vs. 505 CST sitting at around 500/503 feet (according to ElevationMap.net). 

14 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I wouldn't say it will offset it at all. Snodgrass is off on the one end of the skyline and 505 will be in the middle amongst a cluster of buildings, only modestly higher than its neighbor Fifth Third, which sits diagonally across the street. The base elevation between both is around 35-40 feet, with Snodgrass sitting at around 540 feet vs. 505 CST sitting at around 500/503 feet (according to ElevationMap.net). 

Be that as it may, 505 CST will be nearly 100' taller than Snodgrass.

Edited by Dale

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Be that as it may, 505 CST will be nearly 100' taller than Snodgrass.

If it were on the same elevation, but since they're not, it will only be around 60+ feet taller and that's roughly the same amount as it stand next to its neighbor, Fifth Third. Its subpar design and skinny physique also won't make it much of a standout on the skyline as a whole. A "Signature" it is not. The original 505 CST design would've made more of a "punch."

View004-B-2.jpg

Edited by fieldmarshaldj

7 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

^Why didn't they build that one? Not boxy enough?

That design was going to be for high-profile office space. Given the model shifted to apartments/condos, Tony couldn't really take that design and make it livable. It would have taken a MAJOR relo to have something like that one actually come to fruition. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dmillsphoto said:

That design was going to be for high-profile office space. Given the model shifted to apartments/condos, Tony couldn't really take that design and make it livable. It would have taken a MAJOR relo to have something like that one actually come to fruition. 

Maybe one day Tony will find a way to build this one AND his Sig Tower original on another lot in town.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

If it were on the same elevation, but since they're not, it will only be around 60+ feet taller and that's roughly the same amount as it stand next to its neighbor, Fifth Third. Its subpar design and skinny physique also won't make it much of a standout on the skyline as a whole. A "Signature" it is not. The original 505 CST design would've made more of a "punch."

View004-B-2.jpg

You're overreacting. I'm not arguing 'icon', although the glassy, modern façade, along with the (you confirm) 60' superiority is more than enough to buttress the argument for a counterpoint.

3 hours ago, Dale said:

You're overreacting. I'm not arguing 'icon', although the glassy, modern façade, along with the (you confirm) 60' superiority is more than enough to buttress the argument for a counterpoint.

My main point was taking issue over how this particular building would offset the Snodgrass. Since Snodgrass is rather off by itself on the skyline and on the highest elevation occupied by a skyscraper (only Capitol Hill is higher), I can't see how a modest building like 505 CST that's in a skyscraper cluster with barely a 60' "superiority" is going to stand out. If it were wider and taller it would stand out more, or if it were in a location where it was by itself (a la Snodgrass), but otherwise, it's not really going to offset Snodgrass.

And just think, we almost lost the Ryman to demo in the 80s.  One of the first shows "back" after the desertion of the Opry to what is now the fake Opry out off of Briley was Emmylou Harris in 1992.  She covered Steve Earle's Guitar Town that night.  And in '96 New Grass Revival consisting of juggernauts such as Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, and John Cowan reunited for what I believe was their only show since breakup to play a benefit at the Ryman for one of their ailing members.  Sometime in the early 2000s, maybe 2001, String Cheese Incident played there and their fans really ruffled some feather by standing on the pews during the show.  My first show there wasn't until a few years later in 2004 for O.A.R.  Good times.

• Like 4

"Nashville is Zillow's Hottest Housing Market for 2017"

The online real estate database company Zillow has released its list of the hottest housing markets for 2017. The score is based upon 3 variables:

• Zillow's Home Value Forecast, which forecasts the change in the Zillow Home Value Index over the next 12 months
  • Recent income growth
  • Current unemployment rates

The variables were scaled for the 100 largest U.S. metros and combined to form a "hotness score."

Ranking

Metropolitan Area

Forecasted Home Value Appreciation

Income Growth

Unemployment Rate

Nashville

4.3%

1.1%

4.0%

Seattle

5.6%

1.0%

4.4%

Provo

4.3%

1.0%

2.7%

Orlando

5.7%

1.0%

4.5%

Salt Lake City

4.3%

1.0%

2.8%

Portland

5.2%

1.0%

4.8%

Knoxville

4.4%

1.1%

4.7%

Ogden

4.7%

1.0%

2.9%

Denver

3.6%

1.0%

2.9%

Sacramento

4.8%

1.0%

5.2%

Article: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nashville-zillows-hottest-housing-market-130000324.html

houses.jpg

(I snapped this pic of some of the new housing being built in the Hope Gardens neighborhood. The new HCA facility is in the background)

Edited by Canuck87
  • Like 4